Trolls (no not trolling :P) in PE

Trolls :P  

121 members have voted

1. 1. With type of Trolls you like ? (multi)

2. 2. With type of Trolls you don't like ? (multi)

One thing I hope is that there is some variation as per the images we saw of the Cean Gula.  Especially when looking at the head / antler arrangement, this could become a way of denoting age / size or breed (along with coloration).

It would be interesting to see the concept art.

That just got me thinking... I know they've said that "godlike" will basically be a subrace option for any character creation races, but... will we bump into godlike humanoid (or even non-humanoid?) creatures out in the world? I mean, if Trolls are intelligent, why would all of the gods completely refrain from affecting anyone but the character-creation races?

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

One thing I hope is that there is some variation as per the images we saw of the Cean Gula.  Especially when looking at the head / antler arrangement, this could become a way of denoting age / size or breed (along with coloration).

That just got me thinking... I know they've said that "godlike" will basically be a subrace option for any character creation races, but... will we bump into godlike humanoid (or even non-humanoid?) creatures out in the world? I mean, if Trolls are intelligent, why would all of the gods completely refrain from affecting anyone but the character-creation races?

That's a good point! How neat would it be to interact or fight with a godlike Troll King/Queen, not to mention godlike vithracks, etc.?

I liked the trolls in Temple of Elemental Evil best.

My first impression of the PE Trolls was that they were inspired by the depiction of the troll in the film, Snow White & The Huntsman. If it could be detailed a bit more, I think I would like this type of troll as well.

SM_Snow-White-%26-The-Huntsman_Troll.jpg

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 4

I liked the trolls in Temple of Elemental Evil best.

My first impression of the PE Trolls was that they were inspired by the depiction of the troll in the film, Snow White & The Huntsman. If it could be detailed a bit more, I think I would like this type of troll as well.

SM_Snow-White-%26-The-Huntsman_Troll.jpg

Mayby they hawe simmillar horns. But honestly, Trolls from PE look like newborns compered to Trolls from Snow White.

The thing is, saying "that doesn't look like your typical troll" is like saying "that doesn't look like your typical demon." Look at all the different cultural depictions of demons, and tell me there's a "typical" one in there. Granted, I don't know that trolls have QUITE as varied of a depiction set as demons, but, still.

Now, that isn't to say you can't prefer one look or another, but that's a completely different thing from pretending like all the variety is somehow just trying to steal the name from some ultimate, original troll concept. I bet the first-ever ideas of a creature known as a "troll" look nothing like what we'd consider a "classic" troll.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The thing is, saying "that doesn't look like your typical troll" is like saying "that doesn't look like your typical demon." Look at all the different cultural depictions of demons, and tell me there's a "typical" one in there. Granted, I don't know that trolls have QUITE as varied of a depiction set as demons, but, still.

Now, that isn't to say you can't prefer one look or another, but that's a completely different thing from pretending like all the variety is somehow just trying to steal the name from some ultimate, original troll concept. I bet the first-ever ideas of a creature known as a "troll" look nothing like what we'd consider a "classic" troll.

Yeah but that doesn't mean that adapting another troll concent that look like orct with woodlike horns (like in PE) is original. I like original adaptations but lets face some things, if i say dragon you suspect dragon or something simmillar to dragon not rabbit with butterfly wings, if i say Godzilla you suspect something that risebles godzilla not pikachu/ domestic cat crossover.

And if i say Troll you suspect something that risembls trolls, something big and ugly i supose and PE trolls are ugy (but not too big in my opinion by that doesnt matter).

But addapting Troll you suspect something that looks like troll and is well desined. American Godzilla was so bad compared to Japanese not becouse it was bad, it was something that only risebled godzilla but not to a level that sopmeone whoud ever mistake that thing for original Godzilla.

Trolls where added in many books and games, some more some less popular, but it doesn't mean that we create something that looks like orc with wood on the head and say "yay we are original nobody made trolls like we do" ...

I coud live with PE trolls, but compered to trolls from tolkien, Baldours gate, Neverwinter, Icewind dale and even Fable trolls they are like vampires from "twilight" compered to vampires from masquarade bloodlines.

Edited by Ulquiorra

Yeah but that doesn't mean that adapting another troll concent that look like orct with woodlike horns (like in PE) is original. I like original adaptations but lets face some things, if i say dragon you suspect dragon or something simmillar to dragon not rabbit with butterfly wings, if i say Godzilla you suspect something that risebles godzilla not pikachu/ domestic cat crossover.

And if i say Troll you suspect something that risembls trolls, something big and ugly i supose and PE trolls are ugy (but not too big in my opinion by that doesnt matter).

A) If it was original, then it wouldn't look ANYTHING like any other troll you've ever seen before, and you'd still be displeased.

B) I dare you to come up with a creature that you can't say resembles some combination of other things.

C) You do realize that horns and tree roots/wood are REMARKABLY similar in form, right? Why do you think nature-based creatures tend to get that treatment?

Again, I understand your preferences but don't see any kind of subjective case, here, against P:E's troll design. I'm really not seeing how P:E trolls are to other trolls as a flying bunny is to a dragon. Because they're not bigger? Almost every single troll depiction I've ever seen has them as differing sizes.

Tell me... how big is a demon? What should a demon look like? What does a dryad look like, and what does it not look like? Same for an elemental? Should a fire elemental be made out of pure fire? Or should it be more substantial, like lava rock? Should it have a liquid body of molten rock/metal? Maybe it's made out of crystals? What shape should it be? How tall should it be? Should it walk, or float magically?

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3

That's a good point! How neat would it be to interact or fight with a godlike Troll King/Queen, not to mention godlike vithracks, etc.?

Monster Godlikes?  It would interesting if such boons granted followed the concept of something like a Drider.  Something that would make the monster better at hunting and killing rather than just a cosmetic affect.

Edited by curryinahurry

The current look is perfectly fine for a troll, it is actually better if things don't look like other games trolls.  All I ask is that I can see the creature.  Hunched over with head down is not a good angle for an isometric view.  I understand many of the creatures in IE games were like that but it could be better (can anyone honestly say they know what an Umberhulk face looks like from IWD?).

The picture on the previous page of the troll from Snow White and the Huntsman is actually a decent representation of what I'd like to see though obviously the size is a bit big.  If you viewed that head from an isometric angle above you'd get a decent view of the creature.  Current PE trolls seem a bit camera shy.

Anyway I can live with it and appreciate the new artwork rather than having creatures plucked straight out of DnD.

I like the trolls in the latest update, but I am curious if there are more "branches" of trolls and thus I'll throw out some ideas.

I do like the concept and idea of a bigger, more viking-folklore, troll. Though maybe rare, isolated and more singular and impactful. "The Ice Troll of the North resides in the most cold reaches where it casually strolls". Thinking a little bit of Neverending Story (the first one) and the giant turtle, wise and cryptic but somewhat stupid too. Old. That's how I could see a bigger troll be handled. Not so much something that runs around in packs, but maybe it is bullied and exiled for w/e reason.

Cave trolls? Mountain trolls? River trolls? Are the trolls in the update "Glenfathan trolls" for instance? Or are those the only single-type of trolls in the game?

I am also curious why the Eternity troll lacks the signature troll nose...?

• Like 1