Rosbjerg

Ugh, Dragon's Lair, my level of hatred for that "game" is of epic proportions.  My buddy had a 3DO years ago and we rented this "game".  We played it for hours barely getting past the first few freakin' screens.  Playing the same freakin' QTE sequences again and again and again and...  Ugh.  Of course, it didn't help that we were stoned and drunk as ****, but good lord it was so frustrating.  We grew such an intense hatred for Dragon's Lair that the mere mention of the name would nearly bring about violence.  Sad that a lot of "gameplay" is moving back in this direction.

The flip side was when he bought Road Rash for the 3DO.  So awesome.  So incredibly awesome.  I have such fond memories of yellow stripin' it in between traffic at 200+ mph.  Using The Force to dodge cars because you came up on them so quickly that there was no physical way to use reflexes and hand to eye coordination.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wait, The Walking Dead games are laden with QTEs?  Crap.  I had no interest in playing them anyway (because **** zombies), but I figure this means that The Wolf Among Us, which I am interested in, or was, is laden with QTEs too.  There's a good chance that if and when they ever make another Sam & Max game they'll also load it up with QTEs. *sigh*  I was hoping they were just straight point n clicks like what Telltale made before.

There's 2 QTE fights and 1 QTE chase in Wolf ep.1. They're definitely more forgiving than other games out there.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Wait, The Walking Dead games are laden with QTEs?  Crap.  I had no interest in playing them anyway (because **** zombies), but I figure this means that The Wolf Among Us, which I am interested in, or was, is laden with QTEs too.  There's a good chance that if and when they ever make another Sam & Max game they'll also load it up with QTEs. *sigh*  I was hoping they were just straight point n clicks like what Telltale made before.

There's 2 QTE fights and 1 QTE chase in Wolf ep.1. They're definitely more forgiving than other games out there.

Especially in the first fight, part of that clicking actually makes sense, when you get to choose what part of the environment to use.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

DL video

i had this on CD and now i have the HD version on PSN xD

The flip side was when he bought Road Rash for the 3DO.  So awesome.  So incredibly awesome.  I have such fond memories of yellow stripin' it in between traffic at 200+ mph.  Using The Force to dodge cars because you came up on them so quickly that there was no physical way to use reflexes and hand to eye coordination.

Wasn't Road Rash more about beating up/crashing the other drivers up during high speed races? :lol:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Wasn't Road Rash more about beating up/crashing the other drivers up during high speed races? :lol:

That was part of it.  You could do entire races without ever attacking any of the other riders, if you chose to, but there was definitely a certain satisfaction in whipping a dude with a chain or kicking him into the path of an oncoming car.  For me, though, the best part of Road Rash was that it was the first racing game I can remember that truly captured the feeling of speed.  There were games before that you were supposedly moving at 200 mph, but it didn't really feel like you were moving at 200 mph.  In Road Rash it really felt like you were going st00pid fast.  Traffic would come up on you so ridiculously quickly that there was no time to react.  The feeling of going over a hill crest at over 200 mph and squeezing past a car and the curb on the shoulder (what we referred to as a "sneak-a-bye") with the car coming up on you so quickly it just basically blinked on the screen for a split second was what I really loved about the game.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It really depends on what the game is trying to do.  Creating fully fleshed out game mechanics for the variety of different types of events that come up during the game may not be appropriate for what the game's intending on doing.

My philosophy here is that what the game is "trying" to do should be its core mechanics. Trying to do something completely different for a moment doesn't sit well with me, especially not when that something else is a game of Simon Says.

It's like we have these potentially deep and engaging game mechanics that are exciting and tactical... and then we have this child's game that you can constantly find a variation of on the clearance isle of Target's toy department. And for some reason, someone thought what this $60 game really needed in the middle of it was some of the latter.

I think that's fair.  I dislike the sudden "Pass this quicktime or die" in a game like Resident Evil (especially when I was oblivious to them even existing before hand).

With The Walking Dead, I'd argue that those sequences are the bulk of its core mechanic.

Yeah, that I'm fine with. I'm even fine with David Cage's games, aside from the writing issues.

I say fine, but I want to think they could do better with regular controls. There's an up frontness about it that makes it hard to argue against. If it works for their audience, then it works.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Lots of fighting in the first 2 Mega Drive Road Rash games, and in the 3D poly "Road Rash 3D" and Jailbreak on the PS. In the sprite based 3DO version, which I owned a PS port of, fighting wasn't such a big part, the best strategy was to avoid it entirely, I only used the push kick to knock other bikes into uncoming vehicles because it was fun.

• Like 2

Yeah, that I'm fine with. I'm even fine with David Cage's games, aside from the writing issues.

I've always thought the writing in Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain was really strong, it's just that it's always so obvious when they've had to cut things during development and there's a very visible chunk of the story missing. And the shower scenes of course. 

There are types of games that I don't like either because their gameplay doesn't appeal to me.

I don't think what The Walking Dead has qualifies as "gameplay"

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There are types of games that I don't like either because their gameplay doesn't appeal to me.

I don't think what The Walking Dead has qualifies as "gameplay"

Puzzles, dialogue, exploration, combat...

clicking all the white icons on the screen != solving puzzles

clicking through dialogue != playing a game

walking from one screen to the next != exploration

clicking through a QTE != combat

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's not that different from a point and click adventure game really although TWD obviously doesn't want people to get stuck on anything since the story is the focus. Does it matter whether it's a game or not though? That's just a label, a lot of people clearly enjoy the product. 

• Like 1

Does it matter whether it's a game or not though? That's just a label, a lot of people clearly enjoy the product. 

I guess you're right, that's the bottom line - how successful the product is. I guess I'm just upset people support products I don't like. I'd much rather see game companies push themselves and genres they work on forward. 

Walsingham said:

To be honest I think people have an unhealthy obsession with QTEs.

There's a difference between cutscenecutscenecutscenePRESSARANDOMBUTTONIN1,5SECONDcutscenecutscene

And

Cutscenecutscene-slowmo buildup-press the attack button to *gasp* attack in 5 seconds-cutscenecutscene

You forgot mashbuttonrepeatedly :)

Those are the worst.  That's what made me stop playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for the time being because I got a blister on my thumb (needed to give it time to heal).  I'm baffled as to how causing me to get blisters is supposed to enhance my gaming experience.

I'm baffled how you could get blisters! Lightweight!!!

/NES Track and Field veteran pre-battery days.

I'd argue you broke it.

You may not like the gameplay, but it's still a game.  Just a rant as I grow weary of seeing this crop up all the time (for more than just The Walking Dead) as what constitutes a game is somewhere rigidly defined.

If finding terrible QTEs to not qualify as proper gameplay makes me rigid, then call me Mr. Rigid :)

I enjoyed choose your own adventure books. I never labeled them as games though. Just a different, interactive book experience. Same goes for these telltale products. I feel that they chose the closest label they could and called it games, but without it completly fitting the label - they could hardly tell people to buy their interactive-media-experience-thingie though.

I guess my point of contention is more: "Do you feel threatened by the fact that other people call them games even if you don't like those particular games?"

The point is less "does Melkathi like them" and more "why does Melkathi care if other people still refer to them as games?"

Yes, kind of. The QTEs are so easy though you have to deliberately fail them. I think the idea is to make you feel like you're struggling a little more than if you were just watching it happen, rather than to challenge or risk frustrating the player.

The games certainly aren't overly challenging.  Though that's pretty much the point of QTEs, because the alternative would be to simply have the player passively watch what is going to happen (to be honest, I never understood the general disdain for QTEs a lot of the time.  Sometimes they are done just awfully, but other times it's done simply to make the player more responsible for what is happening on the screen as opposed to just watching).

It really depends on what the game is trying to do.  Creating fully fleshed out game mechanics for the variety of different types of events that come up during the game may not be appropriate for what the game's intending on doing.

Because we are "hardcore" gamers that hate how games of today are going.

angry%2Bsenior.jpg

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

It's not that different from a point and click adventure game really although TWD obviously doesn't want people to get stuck on anything since the story is the focus. Does it matter whether it's a game or not though? That's just a label, a lot of people clearly enjoy the product. 

Does it matter whether it's a game or not though? That's just a label, a lot of people clearly enjoy the product. 

I guess you're right, that's the bottom line - how successful the product is. I guess I'm just upset people support products I don't like. I'd much rather see game companies push themselves and genres they work on forward. 

It may not matter that much as we seem to be debating semantics, but I still think you guys would feel much better about yourselves if you admitted that Walking Dead is a game. I think you'll find it therapeutic :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nah, I'd feel much better if you stopped calling it a game :p

Try it, it would be very therapeutic (for me) ;)

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Seriously, though. She looks like Barbara Bush's sister.

she looks like Mrs. Doubtfire

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I'm tempted to jump on the new Divinity, but paying more or less full price for a beta would set a bad precedent for me.

I'm pretty sure I tossed a little money towards it during their KS, but not enough to get into the alpha/beta tiers. I can wait.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts