What you did today

Rosbjerg

How did we get on ****ing married women?

Someone let Ros into the thread while at the same time there is a lack of an (active) attractive women thread to vent the need to talk about wimin, by talking about too much exercice vs breast implants.

That said, yesterday at the gym I resisted the urge to grab this one girl and fix her posture all ballroom dance instructor style. Damn girl, you are too young to hunch over like that. And what's the point of all that excercise if you end up being Quasimodo (exagerating here). Though it might be that she is training back and shoulders too much.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

YOLO

that looks like a Mr. Spock smiley:

Y : the hand going "Live long and prosper*"

first O : the right eye

L : the nose

second O : the left eye

*as part of the Vulcan saying, not the forumite (therefor the lack of capitalisation of the word).

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

So I step through the office at work on my way to class, come to learn my boss just got annoyed and ended up terminating (I think) one of the old guys because he ended up making a huge rent in one of the vans sides... while the owner was in town no less.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Woke up with strange breathing problems and heightened blood pressure today, I didn't have a blockage or pain I just had to breathe more than usual, I felt like being 5000 meters above sea level breathing very thin air. Quite uncomfortable. When I lifted weights the problem went away very quickly though. I wonder what that was, I don't suffer from asthma or allergies.

AFAIK thats a typical reaction from the lung in case of infections, the lung shuts down infected lung capillaries so they can be repaired which decreases the lungs ability to get oxygen into the blood. Blood pressure increases so more blood passes the remaining capillaries to stabilize the oxygen level in the blood. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

After about 7 weeks, I'm finally actually happy with the appearance of what began as my furlough beard.  For quite a while, I was mostly enjoying the feel of it and merely tolerating the appearance.  I'm not an especially hirsute fellow, and the coloration of my facial hair is somewhat inconsistent-- it tends to come in blonde in the moustache and the bits directly below the mouth, but brown (or occasionally white) elsewhere.  (I was quite blonde-headed as a child, and my hair does lighten a bit if I spend appreciable time in the sun, but it's mostly a medium brown these days.)  I've finally got sufficient length to make my Junior-High moustache and the sparser patches along my right cheek/jaw look at least a little respectable. 

One consistently age-affected patch behind the back of my right jaw confirms what I have suspected for a number of years: as I get older, my hair is going to go white, rather than grey.  This makes me strangely happy.  I'll be a higher-ranking wizard!

My better half, on the other hand, is less enthused about the beard project.  She thinks I look like a leprechaun. 

• Like 3

Woke up with strange breathing problems and heightened blood pressure today, I didn't have a blockage or pain I just had to breathe more than usual, I felt like being 5000 meters above sea level breathing very thin air. Quite uncomfortable. When I lifted weights the problem went away very quickly though. I wonder what that was, I don't suffer from asthma or allergies.

AFAIK thats a typical reaction from the lung in case of infections, the lung shuts down infected lung capillaries so they can be repaired which decreases the lungs ability to get oxygen into the blood. Blood pressure increases so more blood passes the remaining capillaries to stabilize the oxygen level in the blood. 

Not fast heart beat? I get that occasionally in extreme stress situations (ie. last year at the old office), but it's also coupled with an extremely fast heart beat...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Go to see a sodding doctor, Woldan. Your blood/circulation is mission critical.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I need to spitball here about a tough decision. For the last couple of months I've been working as an intern (required school internship) at a game design company. I can't name who or what, but they are fairly big on mobile. I was hired on as a 3D artist & animator, which is what I want to do with my life. However, when our community manager who also does a lot of marketing and client-interaction got hit with health issues, I got tapped to take over that job temporarily (mostly because of my good written language skills). Yesterday, said manager returned, and then promptly quit. Now I got offered that job full time (and industry standard pay) - which would replace exam assignments and still let me get my diploma, while giving me, you know, a full time job - and allow me fill up my portfolio with launching titles for large publishers, and I do mean large. Like, not Activision large but not far off.

On the other hand, I don't enjoy doing this community management and stressful client interaction stuff, I'm an introvert and I only have so much energy available for dealing with annoying people, and it is especially not what I want to do with my life. Also, this company has problems (barely ever make deadlines or milestones, titles are abysmally reviewed, employees sometimes go months without pay and then get it all in one go). Beyond that, the exam assignment I've already got lined up to do is making and generally being the creative driving force behind a 3D animated TV Show in a collaboration between my school and a large animation company. This is practically a dream assignment, but it does mean I will still be racking up student debts especially considering we've already figured out this assignment will take longer than my limited scholarship will cover. This assignment is also a daily two hour to and two hour back commute whereas the job is right here in my hometown, five minutes from where I live.

I'm really, really struggling with this decision so if anyone could give me their take or advice, I would appreciate the input.

Speaking from personal experience, the best way to deal with introversion is making a clean break between work, where you have to be social, and the "me time" in the man cave. Most people who know me from work consider me a real social butterfly, when it's actually just me draining the energy required by my work. Sure, I'm not the most introverted person in the world, but I've also learned to accept my introversion as a handicap that I try to push it into a smaller and smaller space of my life, which I seem to be slowly reaching.

I'm currently at a phase in my life where, after an extra 5-7 years of chasing qualifications and dreams, I'm basically working a job I could've done on the day I graduated (albeit without the Mean Girls going through everything I write or say with a comb, like they do now) and with a ton of extra debt. Was it worth it? Certainly, because companies come and go, but some stuff they just can't take away from you.

So. Will taking this job, perhaps just for a while, impact your other opportunities in a way that is permanent? What is the atmosphere like in your current work place (the situation you described might result in a lot of conflict that might be otherwise avoided? Would the marketing, client-facing, community managing aspect of the job be something that might help you further down? (I'd say "yes", unless you find the idea of a managerial/team lead position abhorrent - which might mean that you're the right guy for the job).

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not fast heart beat? I get that occasionally in extreme stress situations (ie. last year at the old office), but it's also coupled with an extremely fast heart beat...

My heart rate was actually low, in the high 40's / minute or so, which is kinda odd coupled with a high blood pressure. I'm not very stressed out in my job though I suffer from clinical depression. I wonder if that could have been the cause.

Go to see a sodding doctor, Woldan. Your blood/circulation is mission critical.

I'd agree with you if  I'd still be having those problems, but it seems that whatever-it-was is gone now. I lifted really heavy yesterday and performing those exercises properly would be totally impossible with the tiniest physical interference.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Feeling a little out of time at the moment. I was stuck in that loop of half wake up, half doze off during the early hours of the morning, hit that point where I started going "Yeesh, how long till my alarm goes off and I have to get up?" and then as the dozing in and out continued I struggled to check the time... and found it was actually about two hours passed when my alarm would have been going off.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Speaking from personal experience, the best way to deal with introversion is making a clean break between work, where you have to be social, and the "me time" in the man cave. Most people who know me from work consider me a real social butterfly, when it's actually just me draining the energy required by my work. Sure, I'm not the most introverted person in the world, but I've also learned to accept my introversion as a handicap that I try to push it into a smaller and smaller space of my life, which I seem to be slowly reaching.

I'm currently at a phase in my life where, after an extra 5-7 years of chasing qualifications and dreams, I'm basically working a job I could've done on the day I graduated (albeit without the Mean Girls going through everything I write or say with a comb, like they do now) and with a ton of extra debt. Was it worth it? Certainly, because companies come and go, but some stuff they just can't take away from you.

So. Will taking this job, perhaps just for a while, impact your other opportunities in a way that is permanent? What is the atmosphere like in your current work place (the situation you described might result in a lot of conflict that might be otherwise avoided? Would the marketing, client-facing, community managing aspect of the job be something that might help you further down? (I'd say "yes", unless you find the idea of a managerial/team lead position abhorrent - which might mean that you're the right guy for the job).

Haha, I do find the idea of managing abhorrent. But when you put it that way, it does take away oppertunities that lead far more toward my goal. I don't think I'm going to do it.

@TN: Im a pragmatist so I say take the job. Ive never been one that had to love my job, Ill shovel elephant crap if you pay me enough, but I know that doesn't apply to everyone. This may be an opportunity that you wont see again.

I like working with people who will compromise there principles for money. They are easy to understand. Going forward I am prepared to pay you if always agree and support me around the importance and relevance of Romance in RPG. Agreed ?

:dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@TN: Im a pragmatist so I say take the job. Ive never been one that had to love my job, Ill shovel elephant crap if you pay me enough, but I know that doesn't apply to everyone. This may be an opportunity that you wont see again.

See, this is what the pragmatist in me is saying too. But the pragmatist in me is also saying that the other guy I work with now on a daily basis hasn't been paid for three months, so I'm not sure money is the correct issue to focus on in this particular job. That leaves Job Satisfaction and Prospects as more important factors, and I think my Prospects as 3D Artist are still good enough (thanks to that TV Show oppertunity that I'll be giving up if I do this) to say no to a Community Manager job that I'll probably hate. So I've pretty much decided not to do it - thanks for your input though. And you too Nep. Just being able to write it out here and get some feedback made the choice a lot easier to think about.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if for some people work wasn't a means to some form of end.  :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Working my way through various lessons on html and css web fundamentals and wotnot on Codeacademy. Seeing just how much will stick.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Trueneutral:

1) If you exhibit technical skills - and I assume you want to - you are inevitably going to be told to manage people, eventually.

2) If you find managing people weird, it's because IT IS. Bossing people is psychotic and weird. Do not 'boss'. My advice is to learn about 'flat' management. Lead by your example. Empower your team, give them credit for what they do, make them tea. You get better results*, and you don't get as stressed.

3) Having management experience on your CV is good. Provided you can prove you delivered. It can also be a trap. My god, but it can! :lol:

~

My final advice would be: you're young. ****ing go for it.

*Assuming you do not have a team packed full of arseholes. In which case step 1 is to ditch them asap.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

See, this is what the pragmatist in me is saying too. But the pragmatist in me is also saying that the other guy I work with now on a daily basis hasn't been paid for three months, so I'm not sure money is the correct issue to focus on in this particular job. That leaves Job Satisfaction and Prospects as more important factors, and I think my Prospects as 3D Artist are still good enough (thanks to that TV Show oppertunity that I'll be giving up if I do this) to say no to a Community Manager job that I'll probably hate. So I've pretty much decided not to do it - thanks for your input though. And you too Nep. Just being able to write it out here and get some feedback made the choice a lot easier to think about.

Considering that I may be your competition for some jobs on the 3D field I might have some bias; but could I bother you to show a portfolio?

If you feel comfortable with it, of course.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Check your PM. Not posting it openly because I like keeping my real and message board identities seperate.

Trueneutral:

1) If you exhibit technical skills - and I assume you want to - you are inevitably going to be told to manage people, eventually.

2) If you find managing people weird, it's because IT IS. Bossing people is psychotic and weird. Do not 'boss'. My advice is to learn about 'flat' management. Lead by your example. Empower your team, give them credit for what they do, make them tea. You get better results*, and you don't get as stressed.

3) Having management experience on your CV is good. Provided you can prove you delivered. It can also be a trap. My god, but it can! :lol:

~

My final advice would be: you're young. ****ing go for it.

*Assuming you do not have a team packed full of arseholes. In which case step 1 is to ditch them asap.

I turned it down. "Community Manager" is also not the same as team management by a long shot - if it was a team management thing, I might have taken it. I may dislike management but it's not a make-or-break issue. But there's only so much I can take from this company in skills and finishing school through the TV Show oppertunity is a much better fit for me right now.

And yeah, I'm not particularely fond of everyone there, there's a lot of office politics, unprofessional behaviour and the "employees haven't been paid for a few months" thing is a bit of a clincher. I'm not going to do a job I really don't want to do unless I'm positive I'm going to get paid.

• Like 2

I'm going to get some sleep, then meet a girl foe drinks at some club.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands