What you did today

Rosbjerg

I think we should work out WHY they say it that way.

Lack of education and failure to comprehend their mother tongue come to mind

That's the traditional argument. But is it actually what's going on? I don't think so.

These people are quite capable of understanding the correct sentence constructions. They do not consistently use double-negatives.

I suspect that the phrase itself functions as a single signal unit, like a word would. Modern British is littered with common use phrases, such as "to be fair" or "at the end of the day" or "**** **** **** biscuits".

I also suspect that it is deliberately incorrect. By rejecting proper grammar one stands apart from mainstream acceptance. But one also by default joins another group of incorrect grammar users.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think that's spot on and I suspect a lot of modern language structure would be considered extremely "low class" if you go only a few generations back. In fact this is pretty much how it is with a lot of things come to think of it. Popular "X" is usually a rejection of the existing structural paradigme.

Fortune favors the bald.

Nice work ethos Malc, thinking that sitting at a desk and staring at a blank screen would be fun :p

Why would Windows patches impact your testing of an application? I can think of the business reasons that would justify it but I am interested in the technical reasons they gave?

I didn't say it was fun. And these are our patches, not MS'.  They need to test an enhancement and that depends on a certain baseline version which their test environment wasn't at. How that came to be, I don't know. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And yet it is a lack of education that causes the misuse of language by the "lower class" in the first place and the acceptance, even if only situational, of improper grammar. It is only after, that it is turned into a badge of honour and an act of rebellion or simply an expresion of popular culture. It is not that clever people sat down and decided: "Let's fight the system. From today we shall get everyone to say [wrong wording]. It will be a political statement that noone will be able to ignore!"*

And yes, humanity evolves and as those worse off usually outnumber those better off, that culture adapts accordingly seems to make sense. Just as hair cuts and the proper grooming of facial hair has.

*the exception would be when popular entertainment intentionally created a misuse to portray a character as uneducated lower class (for example Lister). While that could cause concious acceptance by the fanbase, it would still be art imitating real life (or real life imitating art imitating real life... confusing like the boys watching girls while the girls watch the boys who watch the girls go by)

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I find myself procrastinating throughout the day.

Ah well. At least I've sorted out a few house hold tasks and needed things, even if I haven't pushed proper work along much.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Lack of education and failure to comprehend their mother tongue come to mind

That's the traditional argument. But is it actually what's going on? I don't think so.

These people are quite capable of understanding the correct sentence constructions. They do not consistently use double-negatives.

I suspect that the phrase itself functions as a single signal unit, like a word would. Modern British is littered with common use phrases, such as "to be fair" or "at the end of the day" or "**** **** **** biscuits".

I also suspect that it is deliberately incorrect. By rejecting proper grammar one stands apart from mainstream acceptance. But one also by default joins another group of incorrect grammar users.

I don't think its deliberately incorrect so much that its use has been consistent and wide spread enough that its meaning has been accepted into conversational speaking.  I don't think it'd work in an academic setting, but in conversation most people understand the intent of the phrase taken as a whole.

I'd argue its similar to "I could care less" being understood, conversationally, to mean "I couldn't care less", ie "I don't care".  I don't think it has anything to do with the people using it now being "uneducated" - whether that's how the phrase originates or not.  I think its common now through use, not educational levels, and again represents the growing, changing nature of conversational English.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Skipping the first lecture of the day to work on a paper. Afterwards, I intend to go to the gym, work on the paper some more, and have a little stout.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Well, I looked at my grades and the wheels promptly came off the mental express.

I've spent the ENTIRE time at a college technically one failing grade away from being ejected (which I was, against the rules technically), and right now I've got classes that are showing **** for grades and I feel like I don't have much hope overall.

I'm never the fastest, smartest, first option, best option, or even desired option. I'm always the "Well ****, we gotta talk to him" option. Even my parents view me as a disappointment (with my mom laughing and asking if I wanted to stay a toddler for the rest of my life when I mentioned that sometimes it's nice to focus on other peoples problems rather than my own). Strangely the best connection I have with anyone is the yahoo's I've been back and forthing on these boards with here for what, seven years now? And yet I'm sure some of you just judge me as the emo man-child who can never grow up or take responsibility of the actions within his life.

I don't have anyone who really can advocate for me anymore. Nobody who's willing to give the "it's all right" speech before going off to fight for me with whoever it is I'm tired of fighting. All my life has been dueling with various "authorities" who think they know how I should operate. Be it my parents, my schools, my employers, my doctors, my psychiatrists...  And I'm just tired of it all. I don't like having to personally fight every single battle in the constant war to get my needs taken care of (and stay alive), and yet here I am trying to get my back sorted out in a way that's not just "Oh here's perscription painkillers, have fun with physical therapy!" And ensure that my academic record looks ok, AND ensure that I stay in school, AND fight off the STUPID "academic standards committee" who ignore you out of hand because they  have more important things to do. And then there's the fights with my parents over everything else financial.

I just have to wonder, is there any silver lining to this excrement that is a "life"?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm going to finnish my paper tonight, and celecrate by drinking a pint of Whiskey.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I just have to wonder, is there any silver lining to this excrement that is a "life"?

"He who defends everything defends nothings"

- Frederick II

You do not have the mental strength to fight every single thing that opposes you in life.. and if you try, then you loose most of those fights.. Growing up is learning that for most gains, a lot of sacrifices had to be made. If you cannot come to peace with this fact, then most of your life will be regret and struggle.

I'm going to finnish my paper tonight, and celecrate by drinking a pint of Whiskey.

I'll be done in an hour if my projection is correct and then it's a pint of Rum for me.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

"He who defends everything defends nothings"

- Frederick II

You do not have the mental strength to fight every single thing that opposes you in life.. and if you try, then you loose most of those fights.. Growing up is learning that for most gains, a lot of sacrifices had to be made. If you cannot come to peace with this fact, then most of your life will be regret and struggle.

If I don't fight these battles, who will? I won't survive without winning a few, and I won't survive well without winning em all.

I have no real education after the age of 19. Life was tough and still is a lot of time. At one period, I was unemployed for almost three years and gained 15kg (This was not that many years ago.). Life was **** and everyone including my parents were on me. I ended up trying to escape reality. I'd play games for 10 hours a day. Not because I didn't want to improve things, I really wanted to. I just couldn't handle getting crap from everyone. It wasn't like they said, come on, you can do it! or, do this or that. It just felt like everyone looked down on me. One day, I decided I had enough and looked for every job there was. I worked in some places for only a couple of weeks or months. Working as a dishwasher, clerk, more advanced role at a restaurant and now I work at school. A job I basically got out of freaking nowhere. At first they unwillingly gave me a 1 month trail. Then I got a two month trail. During these periods, I did everything to prove them that I had what it takes, competence or no. I've now worked there (albeit as a contract worker) for the last two and a half years. No matter what happens, don't give up. The best you can do when you feel that someone is weighing you down is to brush it off and not take what they say to heart.

Well, I looked at my grades and the wheels promptly came off the mental express.

I've spent the ENTIRE time at a college technically one failing grade away from being ejected (which I was, against the rules technically), and right now I've got classes that are showing **** for grades and I feel like I don't have much hope overall.

I'm never the fastest, smartest, first option, best option, or even desired option. I'm always the "Well ****, we gotta talk to him" option. Even my parents view me as a disappointment (with my mom laughing and asking if I wanted to stay a toddler for the rest of my life when I mentioned that sometimes it's nice to focus on other peoples problems rather than my own). Strangely the best connection I have with anyone is the yahoo's I've been back and forthing on these boards with here for what, seven years now? And yet I'm sure some of you just judge me as the emo man-child who can never grow up or take responsibility of the actions within his life.

I don't have anyone who really can advocate for me anymore. Nobody who's willing to give the "it's all right" speech before going off to fight for me with whoever it is I'm tired of fighting. All my life has been dueling with various "authorities" who think they know how I should operate. Be it my parents, my schools, my employers, my doctors, my psychiatrists...  And I'm just tired of it all. I don't like having to personally fight every single battle in the constant war to get my needs taken care of (and stay alive), and yet here I am trying to get my back sorted out in a way that's not just "Oh here's perscription painkillers, have fun with physical therapy!" And ensure that my academic record looks ok, AND ensure that I stay in school, AND fight off the STUPID "academic standards committee" who ignore you out of hand because they  have more important things to do. And then there's the fights with my parents over everything else financial.

Hang in there Calax. I hope your issues get resolved but in the meanwhile all you can do is perservere. The thing is, these aren't all different battles - getting through life is really one single battle. It becomes a lot less overwhelming once you realize that. Life is hard, and nobody can give you the silver lining. But once you find them, it makes it a lot easier.

Sorry that was so much platitudes, but it's hard to express how even when life sucks, you have to find the little things to make it worth it. Take it from someone who knows, I've been struggling through similar circumstances for a while and it came pretty close to breaking me.

I just try to remember that someone else always has it worse. Like, I can still walk, but how many uniforms out there lost their legs in an IED attack, or, instead of the academic standards committee, it's the VA that is ****ing administratively incompetent. It's hard to see through the self-fog, but the empathy you feel when you do might ease one's own roiling murk. 

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Weirdly, I had an insight from an unexpected quarter today.

In a job interview, to paraphrase:

- Completed tests in top centiles

- Excellent CV

- proven team and interpersonal skills

- "Perfect" experience

- Accustomed to stress, seniority etc.

Was told (not in so many words) that I was considered a "flight risk" because "Frankly, you could work anywhere... We don't think we could invest in you because you'd leave."

If being educated, talking proper <sic>, and playing the game gets you this kind of lunatic response, it's no wonder that people would try the alternative!

Strangest goddamn experience in a long while. I guess I shall just have to enjoy the compliment - assuming it actually is one.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just try to remember that someone else always has it worse. Like, I can still walk, but how many uniforms out there lost their legs in an IED attack, or, instead of the academic standards committee, it's the VA that is ****ing administratively incompetent. It's hard to see through the self-fog, but the empathy you feel when you do might ease one's own roiling murk. 

... You realize I'm fighting with the school about health care right? Take the incompetence of the VA, throw in a lack of deference because we're just students, and slather on a huge pile of "we don't like to diagnose anything because then we have to pay for it" and you've got what I'm fighting through.

And yes, I've been an involuntary patient of the VA system for 72 hours in Chicago.

Hang in there, Cal. If the system is trying to chew you up, make sure it chokes.

-Elwood Blues

Hang in there, Cal. If the system is trying to chew you up, make sure it chokes.

Either it will or I will on this pharmacy of meds before me.

Either it will or I will on this pharmacy of meds before me.

Give each of the individual pills individual names.

-Elwood Blues

- Excellent CV

- "Perfect" experience

Was told (not in so many words) that I was considered a "flight risk" because "Frankly, you could work anywhere... We don't think we could invest in you because you'd leave."

If being educated, talking proper <sic>, and playing the game gets you this kind of lunatic response, it's no wonder that people would try the alternative!

Strangest goddamn experience in a long while. I guess I shall just have to enjoy the compliment - assuming it actually is one.

I've gotten that several times, to the point that it's now obvious to everybody that I'm batting in a league beneath my own, just because nobody else was willing to take the risk. 99 % of the time, I don't even get interviewed, these days. Often just hear precisely that from the back channels...

Personally consider it to be an excuse for middle management, when they feel that you might rocket past them, if they hire you. I've gotten a lot of tall poppy syndrome at workplaces, too. Current place is probably the first one where it's not an issue, due to the flat organisation!

• Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

- Excellent CV

- "Perfect" experience

I've gotten that several times, to the point that it's now obvious to everybody that I'm batting in a league beneath my own, just because nobody else was willing to take the risk. 99 % of the time, I don't even get interviewed, these days. Often just hear precisely that from the back channels...

Personally consider it to be an excuse for middle management, when they feel that you might rocket past them, if they hire you. I've gotten a lot of tall poppy syndrome at workplaces, too. Current place is probably the first one where it's not an issue, due to the flat organisation!

Yes, but you see I've spent years perfecting my mindless sycophantic henchman-ism. It takes special genius for a middle manager to be such a sparkling mediocrity to be afraid of being able to effortlessly glom off my delivery. ;)

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

*ugh* middle management. I've gotten to the point where I have considered sending them an email saying "Since you are too incompetent to handle the recruitment process, how about you hire me to do it for you. Then I can hire myself and we can be done with this farce."

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

What baffles me is teh baseline logic of having a department of (typically) very poorly educated and paid  mediocrities selecting (typically) selecting much better educated and...

Hang on.

It's obvious really. It's the slimy ****ers getting their revenge!

I feel much better, actually. Knowing that.

-Elwood Blues

What is really annoying is when you see a job opening and realize that the person who wrote the listing has no idea what they are writing. Even worse when the organization hiring is a bank... though it explains why the economy is going to hell.

• Like 1