Game classification (mature or not ) ?

I think sex must be important part of any mature themed game. Sex play very important role in human life (huge part of action of real humans related wit this, motivation etc) and world without sex looks mechanistic and unrealistic, if by moral reason dev's cut this form game.

Pooping also plays a very important role in human life. I dare say they'd be remiss not to include the extensive depiction of characters pooping, and needing to poop, throughout the game. I mean, how can you tell a story without the explicit depiction of this function?

• Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You want to avoid an AO rating like the plague though.

Interesting that you'd bring this up. This is a true statement for AAA titles who's distribution is carried out in the traditional manner (Major outlets like Walmart, Best Buy, Microsoft and Sony and the like simply won't carry Adult Only game titles) thus killing a game's sales.

But would an AO rating have the same effect on a PC-only kickstarter game? Hell, does the ESRB even bother Rating crowd funded games?

Yes it would, and yes they will rate it.  No AO rated game has ever made good money, some of them didn't even get released.  Also there is no reason to even make a game for that rating, you have to do some pretty tasteless things in your game (like show detailed rape as in the player is doing it) and I am pretty confident Obsidian has no more interest in that type of "gameplay" than I do.

So what do you propose they do if putting her in realistic armor and having her act like a man (you know, exactly how she is in the books????) isn't acceptable?

Going by your logic, it's unrealistic for wemen to be warrior in general co no women fighters, secondly "priests" where not wearing fullplate armor lige this

Uh.... what are you talking about?  Plate armor wasn't designed like it was because it showed off the "male" shape well, it was designed that way because it made it more effective at deflecting hits.  Putting "boob" plate on a person literally makes it less effective as armor as it actually funnels attacks right to dead center of the persons chest.  Even in the picture of whats her face the chest section is flat which makes it less effective at handling blows.  She would literally be safer wearing normal plate armor.

Also what's with this bigotted sounded attitude?  There are plenty of women soldiers in this world and they wore the same armor as men, not because it was designed for men, but because that design was the most effective protection in battle.  Don't believe me?  Try looking these rare women warriors up, I believe some of them fight in this organization called the united states military.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 2

I'm certainly pretentious for saying so, and am likely off base completely, but I suspect that most of us here aren't against sex scenes outright, just the manner in which such are so often portrayed.  We've already more than discussed the issues of PC ego-stroking romance harems in RPGs; I don't think it's the sex people don't like, just the shallow portrayal of what sex and romance is.

In terms of oversexualization, I don't think this will be an issue.  We don't need to go full-puritan sex-smashing here; hints of femininity and fertility aren't strictly misogynistic or belittling, and are often quite the opposite.  I don't think completely erasing sexual distinction is a proper solution (sexoclasting, if you will).  A hint of "boob plate" need not be oversexualization, or even completely crush suspension of belief regarding mechanics of armor.  My own thoughts are that the line between appropriate and objectifying in terms of sexualization isn't particularly fine or binary, and that responsible developers can tastefully address femininity with little difficulty.

Edited by Pipyui
  • Like 1

Uh.... what are you talking about?  Plate armor wasn't designed like it was because it showed off the "male" shape well, it was designed that way because it made it more effective at deflecting hits.  Putting "boob" plate on a person literally makes it less effective as armor as it actually funnels attacks right to dead center of the persons chest.  Even in the picture of whats her face the chest section is flat which makes it less effective at handling blows.  She would literally be safer wearing normal plate armor.

Also what's with this bigotted sounded attitude?  There are plenty of women soldiers in this world and they wore the same armor as men, not because it was designed for men, but because that design was the most effective protection in battle.  Don't believe me?  Try looking these rare women warriors up, I believe some of them fight in this organization called the united states military.

You don't understand me, i sad that most "artistic" part of most armors like **** part of armor where desined becouse there were more males and almost no women that was fighint in that type of armor or giving "personal request" to a blacksmith for makeing it with sexy boobplates or other weird element.

Today wemen are much more liberated then in late medieval, and secoundly "war" rapes and other that type of actions are not so "common" as they where in those times.

About "practical" part of the armor i agre that the best type of armor is genderless type, but if whe assume that everything "REALISTIC" is better, then why you agree with women prests wearing fullplates, secondy i don't think that there are much women that can handle that weight of armor, even not all mens can.

If whe assume that everything "realistic" is better, then why the hell we have magic in game ?! or monk crushing dragons or bears with fist, or tiny women wearing fullplates like 2 meter tall viking males ?

Why are you so agins womenish looking armor "even" with boobplates but not for other parts of "non-realistic" parts of the game ?

It's an isometric, party based game - the characters are going to be a an inch or two tall on the screen. So how exactly is "sex" supposed to work in an infinity style game that doesn't use cutscenes? And please don't say Witcher 1 nudie cards

Stop attacking the nude cards in W1 they were great. As for the sex scenes, as developers said this is a game for people who like to read, so I would say descriptions would be ok.

All due respect but they sucked ... and you are wrong.  I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

I'm certainly pretentious for saying so, and am likely off base completely, but I suspect that most of us here aren't against sex scenes outright, just the manner in which such are so often portrayed.  We've already more than discussed the issues of PC ego-stroking romance harems in RPGs; I don't think it's the sex people don't like, just the shallow portrayal of what sex and romance is.

In terms of oversexualization, I don't think this will be an issue.  We don't need to go full-puritan sex-smashing here; hints of femininity and fertility aren't strictly misogynistic or belittling, and are often quite the opposite.  I don't think completely erasing sexual distinction is a proper solution (sexoclasting, if you will).  A hint of "boob plate" need not be oversexualization, or even completely crush suspension of belief regarding mechanics of armor.  My own thoughts are that the line between appropriate and objectifying in terms of sexualization isn't particularly fine or binary, and that responsible developers can tastefully address femininity with little difficulty.

I'm no prude, I just don't want to roll my eyes playing this game. No game ever gets it right, ever ... NEVER!

• Like 1

Eh I think the show does a really solid job with Brienne of Tarth.  Her armor can't be called anything other than functional.

I think you misunderstood. The book version of Brienne of Tarth looks a lot like a man, you wouldn't know any better except for the slightly wider hips. The show did very good making GC look a lot like Brienne but I prefer to not mention it as it leaves a sour taste in my mouth overall.

I think Eternity's "unclothed" female models are not going to have any breast pronounciation - unlike the Infinity Engine games. To avoid boobplate I think you have to make the models more flatchested right ?

So that's why we will probably end up with Brienne of Tarth/Asha Greyjoy style characters (flat chested).

Edited by Sensuki

Stop attacking the nude cards in W1 they were great. As for the sex scenes, as developers said this is a game for people who like to read, so I would say descriptions would be ok.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I kind of have to agree with Sharp, i didn't dislike the cards in witcher 1

ofcourse the witcher 2 scenes were better but that was only possible because the game wasnt issometric. Here you can't actually have that. So i would be fine with just some discriptive text, or an image card.

This is obviously me just assuming if there would be anything sexual like that in the game, for the sake of discussion.

Edited by Cubiq

I am not certain why you assume that sexual encounters can only be portrayed in explicit graphical way. For example Fallout 2, an "infinity style" game, sex and sexual encounters can be found through out most of the game, and not in the the way most mainstream games does it(for the benefit of sexually deprived kids), but help to set the scene and explore certain themes in post apocalyptic world.

True. Every once in a blue moon you'll get a game that manages to pull off a non-cringeworthy portrayal of sex/sexual themes. But more often than not, sex is a subject that devs simply cannot nail correctly in their games. So personally, I'd rather they stop trying.

The problem I have with this perspective, is that I can replace sex with almost any other theme(other than violence) and it will fit just the same. Because even in the telling of most complex stories, more often than not, moral, philosophical or controversial topics isn't explored all that seriously, other than in the context of providing some vague background for our righteous mob slaying fury.

Fade to black is a dishonestly lazy way to do any type of scene, and the other two alternatives (graphic and text) ultimatately fail because Game developers are just that: game developers.... not... you know... award-winning Hollywood movie producers and script writers.

There are more to mature themes then the physical act of sex, even if some people tend to fixate on it. IMO there is nothing lazy about "Fade to black" approach or graphical/textual cues in FO2.

To me excluding sex altogether will fill odd, just like the way AAA games handle sex. While adding where it fits, we will only allow a more enjoyable game, with more richer/realistic characters/situations.

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

So that's why we will probably end up with Brienne of Tarth/Asha Greyjoy style characters (flat chested).

x5ysynK.png Looks like they went with a C cup. Well that's alright then.

My favorite cup size.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

My favorite cup size.

Really? Mine's 32oz. It's not so big as to be cumbersome, and yet I only have to fill it about twice in a given work day to stay well hydrated.

Wait... are we talking about the same cups here?

8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Path of Exile is mature rated (17 or 18+ based on country), and contains full nudity on both male and female monsters, in game references to prostitutes, and two of the games bosses that you kill are detailed to be having sex in one of their journals.

But if you talk about such topics in the in game chat you get told off and muted because some people might find it offensive. Double standards.

Weird thought: when was the last time we discussed avatar arse size?

Think this might indicate we're a bit over-concerned with boobs (in game).

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Pretty sure all tunics will be going down to thigh length, so it's not worth talking about ... but I'll answer your question ;)

Weird thought: when was the last time we discussed avatar arse size?

Think this might indicate we're a bit over-concerned with boobs (in game).

50 inches minimum circumference, of course.

• Like 1

Wouldn't know about that.  When a woman is wearing a metal plate on their chest their breasts are going to get smooshed regardless of their size.  That said other armors, like robes or leather, won't have the same issue.

What I am saying is I want female characters to look female.  But the armor should still be functional in appearance not high fantasy or unwearable dress armor crap.

Edited by Karkarov

Just make a boobplate toggle (outside of expert mode, of course, which would always have boobplate enabled). Problem solved.  :grin:

edit: that armor's really nice looking. I'm just imagining the designer crying into a beer while reading this discussion.

Edited by SunBroSolaire

Wouldn't know about that.  When a woman is wearing a metal plate on their chest their breasts are going to get smooshed regardless of their size.  That said other armors, like robes or leather, won't have the same issue.

I was talking about unarmored, but the recent screenshot looks fine.