Neverwinter Nights' magic missile

Aoyagi

I've started playing the original NWN (again) and I am (again) being tortured by spoiling of sadistic joy of killing someone with the Magic Missile spell or Issac's Storm. The framerate drops from like 716879314 to 0.5 the moment the spells are cast or the missiles hit. I've had the same issue on every computer I've ever had :< . 

Search results yield nothing, please save me from the torture of not thoroughly enjoying twisted joy of murdering creatures with a volley of arcane projectiles.

Sounds like a problem I had with Bard's Tale in which I had some major FPS drops on occassion. At that time I was using ATi HD 4850 (SM 4.1). Later as part of my investigation I swapped it for a much older ATi X1950PRO (SM 3.0), which turned out to be blazing fast in comparison and then I realized that the listed requirements of Bard's Tale mentioned that DirectX Vertex Shader Version 1.1 or higher was required, which unfortunately didn't include as high up as 4.1, because 4.1 doesn't support Version 1.x at all. Shader Model 3.0 on the other hand support all previous versions. The requirements for NWN list DirectX 8.1 among one, which means that the game might be using Version 1.3 or 1.4 for certain graphics, I guess.

I guess you could try to fiddle around with Hardware Acceleration, if that's even an option anymore.

(Signatures: disabled) 

My FPS is still kind of terrible in the original Neverwinter Nights, too. In some areas, it's alright...in others, like Blacklake, it was like 15, haha

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Sounds like a problem I had with Bard's Tale in which I had some major FPS drops on occassion. At that time I was using ATi HD 4850 (SM 4.1). Later as part of my investigation I swapped it for a much older ATi X1950PRO (SM 3.0), which turned out to be blazing fast in comparison and then I realized that the listed requirements of Bard's Tale mentioned that DirectX Vertex Shader Version 1.1 or higher was required, which unfortunately didn't include as high up as 4.1, because 4.1 doesn't support Version 1.x at all. Shader Model 3.0 on the other hand support all previous versions. The requirements for NWN list DirectX 8.1 among one, which means that the game might be using Version 1.3 or 1.4 for certain graphics, I guess.

I guess you could try to fiddle around with Hardware Acceleration, if that's even an option anymore.

That could be a thing, I'll check it out. Though I remember issues with that ever since... Then again, first rig wasn't all that powerful to begin with, so the FPS issues might be purely performance related. Oh well. I'll check out the config, thanks for the suggestion.

It's your computer staging a protest at the indignity of having to run such a PoS game.

Yes, this is exactly the answer what I was looking for. Someone expressing their opinion as a dogma and indirectly insulting everyone who doesn't agree with said opinion. And of course the cancer inducing humor. Bravo, sir, I applaud you.

It's your computer staging a protest at the indignity of having to run such a PoS game.

Yes, this is exactly the answer what I was looking for. Someone expressing their opinion as a dogma and indirectly insulting everyone who doesn't agree with said opinion. And of course the cancer inducing humor. Bravo, sir, I applaud you.

Don't expect too much constructive feedback from Monte, he doesn't even like Romance in Bioware games so his whole opinion on topics is questionable :biggrin:

I can't say I noticed slowness around issues like the casting of Magic Missile but I do love that spell and always choose it. Its quick to cast and disrupts enemy spell casters. I also get a vicarious thrill from seeing my enemies get pummelled by multiple missiles.

I have just finished IWD for the first time and Magic Missile provided  invaluable aid in combat

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I know you've had the problem on all machines, but can you list the specs of the machine that's currently running this - including OS and video driver version. Also if win 7 have you tried to run it in compatibility mode (or even in the XP virtual machine)? Do you get frame drop offs with any other app or game?

I know you've had the problem on all machines, but can you list the specs of the machine that's currently running this - including OS and video driver version. Also if win 7 have you tried to run it in compatibility mode (or even in the XP virtual machine)? Do you get frame drop offs with any other app or game?

I know I'm not the OP, but since I still have frame issues, too...: 2x4GB DDR3, Phenom II x4 970 3.5GHz, AMD 5770, some 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive. 2013/08/30 GPU drivers, Windows 7 x64 SP1 for OS. Game doesn't run at all without being in compatibility mode (for Windows XP SP2). Getting a little on the old side, but should be way more than sufficient for silly Neverwinter Nights 1, :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Are there any other apps or games that give any fps drop offs?

For what it's worth I'm running it on an Nvidia 580M win7 and no issues with magic missile or any other effects. I'm no Nvidia fanboy but one reason I paid a lot more for the 580M compared to the AMD competitor (which was technically better) is driver glitches.

I know I'm not the OP, but since I still have frame issues, too...: 2x4GB DDR3, Phenom II x4 970 3.5GHz, AMD 5770, some 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive. 2013/08/30 GPU drivers, Windows 7 x64 SP1 for OS. Game doesn't run at all without being in compatibility mode (for Windows XP SP2). Getting a little on the old side, but should be way more than sufficient for silly Neverwinter Nights 1, :)

I actually have a very similar setup, might be something related to AMD/ATI GPUs. And my laptop is A10-4600 with HD7730M or some potato like that running on W7. But no, no other apps, applications or games give me that kind of massive framedrops, heh.

Might as well toy with the settings already.

I've started playing the original NWN (again) and I am (again) being tortured by spoiling of sadistic joy of killing someone with the Magic Missile spell or Issac's Storm. The framerate drops from like 716879314 to 0.5 the moment the spells are cast or the missiles hit. I've had the same issue on every computer I've ever had :< . 

Search results yield nothing, please save me from the torture of not thoroughly enjoying twisted joy of murdering creatures with a volley of arcane projectiles.

Mate, to echo my esteemed colleague:

- Go outside

- Find a field

- Feed sugar to a horse or fling a rock at a squirrel

- Realise that every passing moment is like a lover's breath

- Then realise that, inferentially, completing fedex quests while being forced to search every single ****ing random container to find overpowered loot is like having your own breath slowly forced out of you by a moose farting in your ear

- Then realise that being fedexed around the place with random loot could only be made worse by being forced to interact with shallow meaningless characters

- Then realise that the only thing WORSE THAN THAT is Neverwinter Nights 1.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

NWN was the biggest POS game engine for a party based RPG ever made. It undermined the entire possibility of the game and the great story line to try and force D&D into a 3D engine, and all tbqt happened since then was more and more 'streamlining' in future games to make D&D work in 3D, everyone one of which was bad except for DDO because it mainly used tried and tested MMO mechanics instead of sticking to trying to put pure D&D into a 3D engine.

They had something so good and wonderful back when D&D games were 2D isometric, then they ruined it completely.

Edited by Mungri

NWN's engine is awesome. This is undisputable. There's nothing 'streamlined' but NWN. It has more depth than any BIS/OBS (non NWN2 which just piggybacked NWN1), Bethesda or 99.9999% of RPGs ever created. FACT.

P.S. Youa re not forced to look/loot any random container. Any good magic items are found in obvious places.

Fed ex? That's every game ever. Every quest ever is fed ex.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No. The engine was awesome.Then again, I bet most people here would label you ridiculous and stupid for calling the NWN story line 'great' so l0l. For me, thes tory line was solid fantasy adventure stuff.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The story was weak-knee'd bosh.

Not sure how converting to 3D automatically made D&D fail. I'm worried now, in case something else I like gets turned into 3D and suddenly explodes.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Looks like Volo is high again...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Looks like Volo is high again...

I've been trying to work out how chess is a fedex quest. Something to do with the pawns, maybe?

-Elwood Blues

• 1 month later...