Chris Avellone MIGS 2013

I really do believe the portraits is the last of our worries (if there are any worries - the game seems to shape up pretty good). I never really cared about portraits tbh (I prefer customized avatars and pictures that resembles them at some point - Shadowrun Returns style, at least).

Edited by Sedrefilos

A couple of the BG1 portraits are really good - such as the Edwin one. But there are some less good ones as well.

Ya think? No accounting for taste, I guess.

I am not an artist. There's nothing wrong with simple but effective. Still managed to be better than every BG2 portrait made (except for the Irenicus and Bodhi ones).

They've really got BG style portraits spot on. The portraits are great and they are exactly what Sawyer said they are aiming for (trying to have portraits that are applicable to all classes).

Would Kaz have gone for the IWD style, I'd probably be tap dancing right now.

Both other screenshots are also pure delight to look at.

It's a shame we only get to see them like this. I hope once the backer page is accessible, they'll be updating the screenshot section at least weekly. No update -> new screen shot(s). It would give (us) excited peeps something to chew on until the next update.

the black female is looking pretty interesting and unique :)

I agree, I love that one. She's possibly an air-element Godlike, judging by the feathers.

The companion portraits are Kaz's work, I believe.

Though the high collar, plate armour and her being black would also speak for Vailian. Maybe sort of both?

I believe every race/culture has godlikes amongst them in PE.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Update the screenshot section weakly and by the time the game is released all the areas will have been spoiled.

Screen shots may not only be of areas. And I'd venture a guess, that this would take about 50 screen shots after the site is launched IF they really are updated every week, not just when there is no other update.

EDIT:

I_want_to_believe5.jpg

Edited by Jajo

Not watched the videos, but that light on Avellone on GhoulishVisage's screen shots make it look like he's glowing.  I think he might need some RadAway.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

them portraits... O:

i'm sooooooooo* glad i went for a tier the includes hi-res art book.

*scale not to scale

I couldn't scrounge the money back when it was on kickstarter :banghead:  ... hopefully can get in on the book tier via the backer site...

Cool video!

I always enjoy hearing Chris Avellone speak, maybe he can do an Q&A on these forums some time :)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Both portraits look fantabulous! Great work. I like the casual, non-traditional poses, yet they both follow the rule of thirds pretty well. Nice use of light and shadows.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hey thanks for the compliments everyone, reading through the comments was an awesome moral booster! Really glad the labor payed off. I had a blast working on the portraits and look forward to doing more in the future. The concept dept. has been producing a lot of great stuff recently, can't wait to share them with you. 

• Like 28

Around 27:00 when Avellone is talking about how they don't want to make any crazy changes to the world, I got a little curious.

Does this exclude the possibility of any sort cataclysmic event in the future of the setting? Or could that be subject to change in possible future releases?

?

Edited by sarkthas

"Gameplay video in a few weeks". So I guess we'll be having our christmas present from Obsidian :p

Thanksgiving present more likely. ;)

It'll give new meaning to "Feast your eyes on this!"

8)

Hey thanks for the compliments everyone, reading through the comments was an awesome moral booster! Really glad the labor payed off. I had a blast working on the portraits and look forward to doing more in the future. The concept dept. has been producing a lot of great stuff recently, can't wait to share them with you.

I yet once more encourage you (if it isn't already planned) to urge someone to approve working a boatload of all you guys's concept stuff into lore books/manuscripts throughout the game. And/or the "codex"/journal or what-have-you.

It would be PERFECT! Account of a Cean Gula in a book? Slap the artwork in there (as if someone in the world attempted depicting one). You've already made all that glorious, glorious artwork, so it wouldn't really be much extra work to plug it into the game, 8P

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

By the way, I like Avellone talks. He's just so relaxed and fun. Really cool to watch and listen.

@Kaz: What are you even doing on the forums? GET BACK TO WORK! :yes:  No, seriously, really awesome portraits. I'm really looking forward to see more of your art. What's up with the wizard estate on your website? Is that a PE design?  :w00t:

To get back to the portraits: Someone on the Codex has found a statement by Josh (probably from the SA forums) that the blonde guy is Edair whose name is no spelled Edér.

• Like 1

Elan_song.gif

I yet once more encourage you (if it isn't already planned) to urge someone to approve working a boatload of all you guys's concept stuff into lore books/manuscripts throughout the game. And/or the "codex"/journal or what-have-you.

It would be PERFECT! Account of a Cean Gula in a book? Slap the artwork in there (as if someone in the world attempted depicting one). You've already made all that glorious, glorious artwork, so it wouldn't really be much extra work to plug it into the game, 8P

It's a good idea, and we plan on using modified versions of concept work in parts of the game. However it's trickier than it seems because not everything we produce can be easily converted to match the in-game aesthetic.

By the way, I like Avellone talks. He's just so relaxed and fun. Really cool to watch and listen.

@Kaz: What are you even doing on the forums? GET BACK TO WORK! :yes:  No, seriously, really awesome portraits. I'm really looking forward to see more of your art. What's up with the wizard estate on your website? Is that a PE design?  :w00t:

To get back to the portraits: Someone on the Codex has found a statement by Josh (probably from the SA forums) that the blonde guy is Edair whose name is no spelled Edér.

Thank you. I worked on the wizard estate piece right before interviewing for my current position. I was freaking out because I didn't have much environment concepts to show. :p

Here's some random career advise - if you ever apply for an artist position in the entertainment industry, consider producing a few pieces that would fit into titles the company has worked on in the past. It shows you have a high level of interest in the position and takes out some of the guess work. This also reinforces the point Chris was making in the video when talking about hiring Jorge. Customizing your portfolio to match the company's tastes is a huge win. 

Oh and for your last question, all I'm gonna say is "Edér is the new Edair".

• Like 8