:( Sad that obsidian is making this game isometric...

@ Teknoman2

Well, we don't know just how punitive "maimed" status will be in game.  We also don't know if it will be a toggle setting that is set as default: on in expert and off in standard modes, and could possibly be adjusted to player preference.

Second sentence is a bit strange, you yourself posted the official statement "he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play)". Which makes it clear that it IS a toggle and that there are defaults: Off in expert and on in standard modes (slight mixup there as well). Ok, the toggle could be deactivated in normal play if we read too much into that sentence. What am I missing, what else could it be than a toggle?

Edited by jethro

@ Teknoman2

Well, we don't know just how punitive "maimed" status will be in game.

I know I read about it somewhere outside of an update and the dev post at the time implied maiming only had an effect until you rested and a full "real rest" (like at an inn) removed all maiming effects.  That lead me to believe it either made you very fragile in combat or just gave you a very harsh set of debuffs.  So basically it is only punitive if you are not willing (or able) to drop what you are doing and go back to town. 

But then later devs has also made it clear that they hate save scumming and or degenerative gameplay so they may have lightened the maiming penalty even more.  It doesn't matter to me because it sort of sounds dumb to begin with so I will likely turn on death.  Will I reload a save if one of my favorite characters dies?  Probably.  If Khalid Mark 2 goes down though? I will be just fine continuing from there.

Xcom is a surprisingly difficult game. And it should get obvious much earlier in the game that if you have a death every second fight (just as an example) and never get your troops to higher levels as a consequence that that is too much.

Yeah I hate to break it to you Hassat, but you have to be more careful with your soldiers in Xcom. Finish it on normal and you can use it in your argument.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Sawyer has said that maiming drops the character in 1HP, so he is killed with every hit, plus stat penalties. So in effect the character becomes dead weight until you rest.

The whole point is to not instantly reload when a character dies(since the game has permadeath) but instead to be able to continue even in weakened state until the next rest spot.

I find it somewhat silly since with the stamina/health system where your character drops unconsious when he loses all stamina(but still has most of his health by that point since the rate is 4:1) in effect you need to "die" 3-4 times in order to die for real. By that point you play the game badly and you deserve to lose your companion, but whatever. As it is toggleable i don't realy care.

Edited by Malekith

It doesn't matter to me because it sort of sounds dumb to begin with so I will likely turn on death.  Will I reload a save if one of my favorite characters dies?  Probably.  If Khalid Mark 2 goes down though? I will be just fine continuing from there.

Wait, its death OR maiming, not both? Either way Im going to reload but that's an interesting approach.

Yes. Death is a toggle. Maiming only is default.

Sawyer has said that maiming drops the character in 1HP, so he is killed with every hit, plus stat penalties. So in effect the character becomes dead weight until you rest.

The whole point is to not instantly reload when a character dies(since the game has permadeath) but instead to be able to continue even in weakened state until the next rest spot.

I find it somewhat silly since with the stamina/health system where your character drops unconsious when he loses all stamina(but still has most of his health by that point since the rate is 4:1) in effect you need to "die" 3-4 times in order to die for real. By that point you play the game badly and you deserve to lose your companion, but whatever. As it is toggleable i don't realy care.

Are we sure about that? For some reason I had it in my head that a character with health but no stamina is immobilized, but not strictly unconscious. Now that I think about it, I have no idea where/when/if I actually read that.

jcod0.png

Can I turn off maiming too?

If possible, I'm sure someone will mod it out. Unless efforts are spent making sex mods or something.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Great, now nobody will work on the maiming mod. :(

Honestly though, its a non-issue for me. I reload if even one party member dies and will do the same regarding maiming. I do think its kind of weird that so many mechanics are tied to the dedicated rest spots (healing, maim removal, ability / spell reset, buffing) but thank god for the almighty reload.

• Like 2

Honestly though, its a non-issue for me. I reload if even one party member dies and will do the same regarding maiming. I do think its kind of weird that so many mechanics are tied to the dedicated rest spots (healing, maim removal, ability / spell reset, buffing) but thank god for the almighty reload.

It beats the alternative of having each recovery mechanic tied to a different, time-consuming behavior. A bit of an abstraction, I suppose, that makes the restoration aspect less tedious but not so easy that everybody does it all the time.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It beats the alternative of having each recovery mechanic tied to a different, time-consuming behavior. A bit of an abstraction, I suppose, that makes the restoration aspect less tedious but not so easy that everybody does it all the time.

I don't follow how it becomes less time consuming. What every other IE game offered was the ability to perform those actions where you were (rest anywhere) vs. now having to schlep to specific locations to perform the same action. Can you clarify your stance? What about PE makes any of the new mechanics less tedious?

Generally I  will also load a previous game if one of my main characters dies, especially if its someone I'm Romancing... :wub:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't follow how it becomes less time consuming. What every other IE game offered was the ability to perform those actions where you were (rest anywhere) vs. now having to schlep to specific locations to perform the same action. Can you clarify your stance? What about PE makes any of the new mechanics less tedious?

I suppose my view is that "rest where you are" would be riskier and less beneficial than "rest at a comfortable camp with warm food and bedding". To my mind, the former would provide a brief respite, but it shouldn't serve to relieve things like wilderness exposure, fix a damaged tendon, reconnect to the magical weave, collect more spell components, sharpen your weapons on a grindstone, repair damage to your armor and shields, and so forth. Thus the camp provides an abstraction of those activities. But the resource management aspect of a role-playing game requires some cost for recovery. In this case the cost is a march to and from camp. I guess that also provides some of the role-playing feel of the PnP version.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

if this game wouldnt be isometric I would not have backed on single $

isometric hd looks always better than any 3d rpg out there - fact!

if it was 3d they would have found a publisher relativelly easy

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Generally I  will also load a previous game if one of my main characters dies, especially if its someone I'm Romancing... :wub:

Careful my save scumming brother, enemies abound.

I have been known to scum as well. *Readies Greatsword*

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nope. PC only wouldn't. If they pitched a console fantasy action RPG, that is Skyrim successor instead of IE, then maybe.

Edited by Malekith

and only a couple of customers who actually bought antother boring 3d rpg with ugly graphics

The "wow, I can't believe unwanted things occur when I don't do something like make sure to keep my characters away from 'death' -- Thank God for reloading!" mindset still blows my mind. If reloading is a convenient, yet roundabout way to avoid pointless limitations, then should we just go ahead and have infinite HP? Invulnerable party guarantees you never have to inconveniently try things again! 8D!

I take it having to deal with death and death-like penalties is just another way in which the game is telling us we're playing it wrong.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Nope. PC only wouldn't. If they pitched a console fantasy action RPG, that is Skyrim successor instead of IE, then maybe.

it is implied that if it was 3D it would have a console version and the publisher would provide a AAA graphics engine

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

it is implied that if it was 3D it would have a console version and the publisher would provide a AAA graphics engine

So, a kinda meh game, from which the publiser would have taken the profits instead of Obsidian. I' stick with what we have here, tnk very much 8)

The "wow, I can't believe unwanted things occur when I don't do something like make sure to keep my characters away from 'death' -- Thank God for reloading!" mindset still blows my mind. If reloading is a convenient, yet roundabout way to avoid pointless limitations, then should we just go ahead and have infinite HP? Invulnerable party guarantees you never have to inconveniently try things again! 8D!

I take it having to deal with death and death-like penalties is just another way in which the game is telling us we're playing it wrong.

I reload after a character dies because I haven't done the combat as well as I could have. I enjoy the challenge of developing my tactics until I get the goal that I'm aiming for. Personally if I never had to reload I'd be pretty pissed and for most of my playthroughs I don't want to be able to win every fight first time because that would be too easy, so maiming doesn't really interest me. I also don't want the consequences of failure being permanently gimping my party, so permadeath isn't something I'm interested in, unless I can reload.

• Like 2