:( Sad that obsidian is making this game isometric...

I think that if you took away the descriptive written dialog and replaced it with close-ups and facial animations, you'd essentially destroy the charm of the old IE games. This may seem weird, but I was drawn to the IE games because there was a lot of descriptive text. The fact that you don't see the characters smiling, extending their hands or winking, but instead you read about it, increases immersion and adds to the mood. In fact, I'd argue that you are more likely to succeed in conveying subtler emotional states and actions via text than through animation, at least when you have a small budget. Even if Pixar-level animations were the norm for RPGs, I might still prefer text. That's just my personal taste, though. I feel that when you read something in, let's say, BG, you are engaging your imagination and being an active participant in the game. Watching animations seems more passive to me.

I truly hope that Obsidian doesn't stray away from text-heavy interactions in future expansions or P:E sequels.

I think it's an either-or scenario. If you don't have well voice acted conversations that really draw you in like KotOR 2 or New Vegas, then it's preferable to just have text exposition to advance the story in most cases. You also have a larger range of responses and reactivity, so there are some trade offs. Of course, that didn't always matter. Baldur's Gate only had a bit of stretching in conversation branches, but for the most part that game was involved in the combat more than anything.

You know what game's camera really sucks?  Chess.  That top down stuff is so 15th century.  Now that we have the technology, we need to remake it with a tiny camera implanted in each side's queen (the only really important piece) and play with Oculus Rift to get the first person chess experience.  Ideally, the rules should also incorporate real-time and cover mechanics.  Yep, that would be objectively better than chess as is.

Edited by Zombra
  • Like 4

Both are awful ideas.

Why?

All IE games basicly use image of character talking + text.

Because IE static images don't change to express emotion, and it should stay that way. He asked for JRPG static images, where the portrait smiles or frowns or whatever. And that is awful

if you are refering to my post, i did not ask anything. i simply stated that the use of this method is possible and within budget if they want to give a graphical representation of emotions

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I agree with Malekith. I mean, sure, it's probably totally within budget (it's not expensive at all to create a few different portraits for each NPC displaying different emotions) but... really, that just seems like a pointless gimmick to me. Not to mention excessively game-y. (oh look, I picked the flirty dialogue choice with the Tavern Wench, and now her portrait is smiling in the conversation! woot!)

Decent writing should adequately project this emotion to the reader anyway, and if it doesn't then we've got different problems, don't we.

I never had trouble decyphering NPC emotions in Planescape torment or the BG games... did you?

Edited by Stun

I prefer a written description that tickles my imagination with a picture of a person that gives out the best first impression of this character. I loved Keldorn picture in BG2, and so many more in BG series. PS:T was too otherworldly but it was still doing a decent job in terms of "pictures". The writing in that game though is second to none...