:( Sad that obsidian is making this game isometric...

Hmmm, I do miss Isometric RTS too... Red Alert, Age of Empires.

Modern RTS suck, and you have to fight the camera more than your enemies :/

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

There's absolutely nothing inherantly wrong or bad about an isometric perspective and it makes better sense for parties or squads as others have said. The only problem with the older isometric games is that they were never designed with modern systems and their resolutions in mind. I'd love to go back and play quite a few of them, but at their time resolutions like 1024 x 720 were top of the range, and stretching that to 1920 x 1200 makes a confusing illegible mess. That not going to be a problem for Project Eternity, atleast not for another 10 or 15 years.

• Like 1

Agree with the OP, the devs should definitely have pitched us a game based partially on the very premise that it would be an isometric game, and then when that Kickstarter pitch was wildly successful should've changed the fundamental design of the game to drop one of the core elements that made it appealing to backers.

• Like 1

There's absolutely nothing inherantly wrong or bad about an isometric perspective and it makes better sense for parties or squads as others have said. The only problem with the older isometric games is that they were never designed with modern systems and their resolutions in mind. I'd love to go back and play quite a few of them, but at their time resolutions like 1024 x 720 were top of the range, and stretching that to 1920 x 1200 makes a confusing illegible mess. That not going to be a problem for Project Eternity, atleast not for another 10 or 15 years.

I actually find the older games easier because of their being locked to 4:3 resolutions --> everything stays where it's supposed to be, in that it's not a "far" travel to click on the "Drink the potion nao!!!" button when something bad happens to the party (which, in my case is more likely to happen than anything else).

Heard about this game recently and decided to...

...complain that water is wet.

Project: Eternity was conceived quite deliberately as a nostalgic throwback to the era of Planescape and the BG/IWD series of cRPGs. Given the significant Kickstarter enthusiasm displayed by those of us interested in just such a cRPG, I anticipate that Obsidian will produce at least two expansion packs or sequels. You should probably look elsewhere for your gaming entertainment for the next several years.

Edited by Tsuga C
  • Like 9

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

or even Dragon Age,

I played DA:O exclusivly in top down view, as far back as the game allowed me. And the game looked better for it. Any other way the game was ugly, and the gameplay bad.

I liked to play from the 3rd person perspective while walkin' around. But every fight had to be scrolled to higher ups :)

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Isometric was one of the reasons I backed this to the tune of 500 bucks. I love isometric view and in any game where it's even an option, that's how I play it. Hell, I still play the old IE games regularly (just finished a run through BG1, BG2 and ToB a week ago and am now immersed in another run through both IWD and IWD2) and the isometric view is a big part of the appeal for me. As others have mentioned, the throwback to the older style was pretty much the main point of making this game. I'm eternally (pun intended) grateful that there are devs like Obsidian that are willing to still make this style of game.

• Like 2

I agree with SunBroSolaire. Whether this was supposed to be a troll or not, the gist of it ("I prefer 3D games to isometric games") is totally understandable.

Personally I wish there were more games that could be played with nothing but a mouse, because it's such a laid-back experience. :) That's something you just can't have with a 3D RPG like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol, and it's the reason why I've hoped for some great isometric RPGs for a looong time.

Oh, also I like the visuals of a great 2D game. A game like Torment: Tides of Numenera wouldn't be possible without having a huge budget for the graphics if it was done in 3D. I mean I'd totally play the heck out of that 3D game, but the point is that imaginative designs like this are more likely to happen when they're cost-efficient - otherwise companies have to play it safe and take a more traditional look.

• Like 1

Would it be a fair comment to say that the consensus on this thread is that we don't agree with the Op?

:biggrin:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

While I can understand the personal preference of the OP for 3D graphics, the game design argument is just.... bad and has no sensible logic behind.

Not every game needs to be in 3D, good artistic 2D can be equal or MORE beautiful than 3D while being less computer intensive.

1) Think about animations: 3D requires rigging, and while you can make very soft animations you still are limited compared to a hand crafted 2D animation. (+ there will be hardware power problems if you need liquid / complex transformations & effects, software complications if you need hair movement to be realistic etc...) Ofcs in 3D you can see it from every angle, but if your camera is locked by game design, it means nothing.

2) Think about detail: 3D still has problems with complex things, the best modeled face is still behind a good portrait, some things -especially organic- are not so simple to do in 3D and look real.

3) Style > Graphic quality, every single time. Style is what makes coherent the visuals of the game. Style transcends time while realism changes with the technology.

.... save for maybe graphics (which was never a primary selling point for RPG fans anyway... ever.)

SHHH... some wise guy at Obsidian might just send everyone a pencil and packet of graph paper. ;)

Hey now... what better graphics system exists than the human imagination!? 8D

Also, I don't think the OP is trolling one bit, and he has every right to his opinion. However, I don't see much point in this thread. It's a bit like posting on the Call of Duty: (insert new thing here every 6 months) forum and saying "This game is cool and all, but I'm kind of disappointed that it has guns."

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Heard about this game recently and decided to make a forum account to get other peoples opinions about it.  im very dissapointed in the fact that they are making an "infinity engine style" game. i dont understand the logic behind this decision to take such a large step back in game design(cost i guess is the only reason i can think of).

i think gaming is so far past this kind of game,that many players wont give it a second look.  im a long time obsidian fan and iv played many of their games and i would hate to see this project fail because of the antiquity of the design.  i dont think that there are many players in todays gaming landscape that will tolerate this outdated design,no matter how good the story/characters/world are.

i just dont think the isometric view was one of the reasons people loved the baulders gate/planescape/nevewinter nights games,it was an aspect that was simply tolerated due to the technological limitations of the time,and now that we are so well advanced in that aspect,i think very few will want to go back.

heres hoping this project has enough success to open the door for obsidian to create a more modern game,with this new world and lore as a base. i dont see this ever standing up to the mass effects and KOTOR's of the world. but i wish them the best of luck and hope for better in the future :).

So you're one of those Bethesda fans who got all mad when told about areas in which Fallout 1 & 2 were better and said they sucked because of the perspective without ever playing them? Did you contribute to the kickstarter? Most of us did because we, along with Obsidian, wanted an IE-style game, with the requisite isometric viewpoint.

You haven't proposed a superior perspective to 3/4 isometric, and even if you had, it's a matter of opinion, not objectivity. If you declare the isometric perspective to be objectively inferior to any/all other alternatives you're just a zealot whose opinion is even less valuable as a result of your unwillingness to entertain the idea of trying anything you're not comfortable with.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Heard about this game recently and decided to make a forum account to get other peoples opinions about it.  im very dissapointed in the fact that they are making an "infinity engine style" game. i dont understand the logic behind this decision to take such a large step back in game design(cost i guess is the only reason i can think of).

i think gaming is so far past this kind of game,that many players wont give it a second look.  im a long time obsidian fan and iv played many of their games and i would hate to see this project fail because of the antiquity of the design.  i dont think that there are many players in todays gaming landscape that will tolerate this outdated design,no matter how good the story/characters/world are.

i just dont think the isometric view was one of the reasons people loved the baulders gate/planescape/nevewinter nights games,it was an aspect that was simply tolerated due to the technological limitations of the time,and now that we are so well advanced in that aspect,i think very few will want to go back.

heres hoping this project has enough success to open the door for obsidian to create a more modern game,with this new world and lore as a base. i dont see this ever standing up to the mass effects and KOTOR's of the world. but i wish them the best of luck and hope for better in the future :).

Oh please,...

Be honest, you don't really want peoples "opinion" about this. You just want to get a rise out of the fans that gather here by posting an obviously controversial opinion of your own.

Your post is bait and I'm not biting.

• Like 2

This, 1000 times this.
  • Like 7
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This, 1000 times this.

At least with a 3D camera, terrans can't hide missile turrets underneath their floating buildings anymore, those jerks.

• Like 2
jcod0.png

I funded this Kickstarter campaign under the premises that I would receive ...

... an Old-School RPG -  Isometric View - Computer exclusive game!

For Infinite Engine lovers as myself I have been waiting for a game like this for the last 10 years. And although I did enjoy DAO on my first play through, lets forget that rubbish of "...spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate" 

Edited by Lekian
  • Like 4

This, 1000 times this.

At least with a 3D camera, terrans can't hide missile turrets underneath their floating buildings anymore, those jerks.

doesn't save them against the OMGWTFZERGLING rush 2 minutes into the game

• Like 1

If you don't like isometric games, maybe you shouldn't be here. Seriously.

I guess next, you will travel to Belgium and complain to the monks at the Chimay abbey you're disappointed that they won't brew a lager...

• Like 3

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"