Norwegian weather report - collossal shower of ar**holes

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24490925

The Nobel Prize committee has snubbed Malala Yousafzai in favour of awarding the Peace Prize to the professional organisation that is _paid_ to carrying out weapons inspections.

Well done, Nobel Comittee. I'm sure the government funded organisation needs that money more than the child who got shot in the goddamned head. Not to mention I'm sure her contribution counts for less.

This isn't even funny.

EDIT:

The OPCW employs around 500 people and has a budget of 75m euros ($102m, £63m) in 2010.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oi! Norwegians fault! Not Swedens! :(

And yeah, Malala is a more deserving candidate, without doubt.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What has she done to deserve the award ? Then again, Obama won it so I guess it's more of a publicity thing. Also, I don't think she'd be in debt now or hurting for cash after all the press on her getting shot.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

16-year old girl fighting for girls right to get education, vs multinational paid organization that looks for people using tech-heresy.

I vote for Malala

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Malala Yousafzai or maybe it would better say that her father is currently multi millionare, so they aren't in any dire need of money either.

Malala was good canditate for peace prize, because she speaks for education, diplomacy and peaceful solutions and even after she was shot by Taliban she still speaks that it's better to negotiate with them than try to overthrow them with violence. And she is also girl and muslim and her ordeal is publicly known, which are all resons why she would have been quite inspiring recipient.

But I think that Nobel comitee didn't give her price because she is quite young to carry burdens that comes with the prize and reciving the price could have made her even higher priority target for fundementalist fanatics that shot her in the first place. Some could also argue that her life time achivements are still quite slow and other nominees are actually done more for world peace, but some would also argue that this is aslo true when one looks some previous recipients.

I personally think that OPCW is one of those organizations that acctually do such work that I don't see that Nobel prize is wasted on them, but I can't say that they where this year's best nominee, but world is much better place because of its work.

Guys, why this girl must be awarded? Sirosly she do nothing for peace in the world, she just troll Pakistanis but has been deanoned and punished.

And why this organisation must be awarded? Because they exterminate chemical weapons in Syria? But it's not their merit. It's Putin find peaceful solution for Syrian crisis and stop new war between Nato and Syria. Also it's Putin forced Syria to destroy their chemical weapons, not OPCW or someone else. But he is Russian, and in modern Western racist society he can't be awarded, it's only reason why russophobic Nobel prize Committee choise OPCW instead him. But we not expect something else, the Nobel prize Committee always been nothing more than political tools for Western propaganda, as a scientist i can say it's totally not interesting for me who take Noble prize.

• Like 1

I don't understand why Obama didn't get it again. He still isn't Bush, which seems to be the qualification for him getting it first time.

Yousafzai is a feel good choice which would give westerners nice tingly sensations and heart warming as it would be, giving it to her would be about as good as giving it to Obama was, neither had actually achieved anything. It's not like people thought the Taliban were nice beforehand.

I'd have given it to Snowden, since he's annoyed people who oh so desperately need an extremely liberal application of sand to the nethers, plus it would make me laugh. Not that the Taliban don't deserve much the same but they're off in Pakistan and, well, things like electricity and reading and contrary opinions annoy them, so I reckon they don't need anything else.

• Like 5

Putin would have been the best, he stopped war in Syria.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Remember, Norway used to be a part of Sweden. The Nobel peace price has been awarded by Norway (not Sweden) since Norway's independence, as a gesture of goodwill from Sweden's side.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Putin would have been the best, he stopped war in Syria.

Last I checked war in Syria is still ongoing. Putin was one of the visible people, but he was not sole instigator or even first (although he was vocal and has lot of influence), in worlds political circles that persuade US and some other countries not to intervene with force in it after chemical weapon attack by making Syria to promise that they destroy their chemical weapons. One of the most major operator in this deal and carrying it out was and is OPCW, which recived the prize for doing that.

Edited by Elerond

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize shall be awarded to the person who "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

She didn't fill any of the requirements, case closed. 

She does deserve recognition for her work though, monetary as publicly.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Meshugger makes a good point. But I really don't see why a governmental body _doing precisely what they are funded to do_ should receive the prize.

If they'd been some regular army and voluntarily surrendered weapons, that might be notable.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Didn't that award lose all credibility when they gave it to Arafat? Heck why even pay it any mind afterwards.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't have problem with Kissinger, per se. It's rather a question of what fosters peace.

I'm more in favour of cynical yet well planned attempts to create short lived peace, than long term but idiotic attempts to etc.

-Elwood Blues

Remember, Norway used to be a part of Sweden. The Nobel peace price has been awarded by Norway (not Sweden) since Norway's independence, as a gesture of goodwill from Sweden's side.

Yeah, generally Stockholm seems to be using Norway to do their dirty work. Something controversial or might come back and bite you PR wise?... get the Norwegians to do it. Everybody wants their oil, so those Norwegians can get away with anything anyway ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Here I thought **** were literally falling from the sky. I am disappointed.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Thanks again to the mods for correcting my heinous mis-accusation.

-Elwood Blues

This organisation is destroying the chemical weapons cache of a dictator who has killed thousands. In bloody a war zone. Of course they deserve it.

The importance of destroying chemical weapons isn't in doubt. The perverse cloistered logic of rewarding government bodies is in doubt.

I should of course have remembered the far more pointless and corrupt award to the _European Union_ a couple years back. An award to a body partly headed by the chair of the gods damned Nobel committee.

This is just Europimples slapping their mates on the back. It's got no relevance to anyone outside of the corridors of power.

The corridors of power aren't where groundbreaking peace is made.

-Elwood Blues