Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

I think its an excellent idea for those fans who are committed to this type support of the DA franchise. Based on the comments its obvious most people are dismissive of the concept . So I'll ask two questions

• If you don't care about the idea why does it bother you so much that other people are excited about it
  • Are the people who are fans of Cosplay hurting you or impacting your lifestyle in some way that you feel the need to be critical of it

I just want to get to the source of this invective?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have no issue with cosplayers dressing up as whoever or whatever they like.  I do slightly shake my head at the recent trend of developers designing characters (Like Kojima's MGS5 slutty sniper) or releasing kits like this specifically with cosplayers in mind.  It just seems presumptuous to assume people will automatically cosplay your characters before the game has even been released.  The assumption, in this case, is almost certainly correct, but it just seems kinda c0cky and full of yourself to make that assumption.  If cosplayers are going to cosplay a character from your game then they're going to cosplay a character from your game.  Attempting to coax them into doing so just seems petty.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

With respect to Morrigan, part of the advantage is that Jessica already dressed up as Morrigan and could already pass along the information. It's not like it was work intensive for her to basically share how she made the costume.

If you consider this "coaxing" as opposed to "here's the blueprint in case you're interested" then fine. Jessica's job focus is literally on the BioWare community and is an avid cosplayer herself, so to suppose that it's presumptuous that people will "automatically cosplay" the characters, and that they haven't already inquired is perhaps jumping the gun somewhat on your own part. On the last day at PAX, BioWare held a session for cosplayers to come and hang out and show their costumes off (BioWare or otherwise) and the room was filled to capacity.

As for designing costumes with some cosplay feedback, the only thing that's going to do is result in costumes that are actually physically possible and less overtly physically impossible or just impractical (Armor plates on the bum may seem like a good idea at the time...).

But I wouldn't at all be surprised if something like this came about as a result of consumer request. And many cosplayers love to get the little details right and accurate, the same way that a Baldur's Gate 2 fan will get up in arms about the dual wield implementation, or an Obsidian fan getting into an argument because Sawyer wants to have cooldowns be a part of the game, while others here

Though I agree that I have no issue with cosplayers dressing up. The idea of shaming them comes across as throwing stones in glass houses as I've been "victim" to all sorts of judgment because I am an avid geek in a particular type of geek subculture. There's a reason why my public identity in high school was that of "basketball player" and not "hardcore computer nerd and gaming geek." I remember flooring my high school basketball teammates because I crushed them all in GoldenEye or whatever else we chose to play.

I've heard it all: you like RPGs? Nerd! You're into D&D? Loser! You love Star Wars? You need to get laid. You worked on a mod for a video game? Hahahahahaha. Why do you care about some internet guy dying? It's not like its a real friend. Hearing this nonsense tends to piss me off, and I'd really prefer we not "pay it forward" by pointing and laughing at people that like to dress up as characters that many of us also like (or even dislike...). I have a friend in the 501st and her favourite cosplay she has done is Darth Nihilus. Are we condoning the shaming of someone that enjoyed KOTOR 2 so much she wanted to cosplay as one of the character? Or would we just be condoning the shaming of Obsidian if they had shared some concepts that detailed how the costume was made as a reference?

At least her dress looks more practical (and warmer) than her DAO get up. Always a complaint of mine, impractical attire in my fantasy games.

It's also formal wear.

Except that human billboards generally get paid for it.

I'd disagree. Plenty of shirts going around with the Nike swoosh on it. I doubt Nike is paying them for it. You are correct, though, that it probably doesn't hurt marketing or exposure.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 7

Well, yes, branding on clothing is free advertising too, but the difference is that proper human billboards generally spend their time wearing that get-up while doing something relevant to that get-up, i.e. stand outside a store and try not to look too bored. I haven't seen any cosplayers in their game outfits while buying their groceries or going out for coffee. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well, yes, branding on clothing is free advertising too, but the difference is that proper human billboards generally spend their time wearing that get-up while doing something relevant to that get-up, i.e. stand outside a store and try not to look too bored. I haven't seen any cosplayers in their game outfits while buying their groceries or going out for coffee. :p

Go to any con.

But especially SDCC on the night of Preview Night. So many orcs in Ralph's. 

But I wouldn't at all be surprised if something like this came about as a result of consumer request. And many cosplayers love to get the little details right and accurate, the same way that a Baldur's Gate 2 fan will get up in arms about the dual wield implementation, or an Obsidian fan getting into an argument because Sawyer wants to have cooldowns be a part of the game, while others here

Though I agree that I have no issue with cosplayers dressing up. The idea of shaming them comes across as throwing stones in glass houses as I've been "victim" to all sorts of judgment because I am an avid geek in a particular type of geek subculture.

I'm not sure how creating a dress pattern for cosplayers to go home to stitch, sew and use their sewing machine is part of the mechanics of a game. Dual wielding, cool downs and now dress patterns for cosplayers are now equal. :blink:

And it's a bit much to say people are shaming them. All I see is some fun being poked at Bioware for releasing dress patterns which you would probably buy at a haberdashery shop or something similar. Merchandising is great for video game developers/publishers like selling t-shirts, cups, hats, and all sorts of stuff. It's just something new to see a video game developer/publisher also create dress patterns with their merchandise. :lol:

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

I'm at a loss of words or meme.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Though I agree that I have no issue with cosplayers dressing up. The idea of shaming them comes across as throwing stones in glass houses as I've been "victim" to all sorts of judgment because I am an avid geek in a particular type of geek subculture.

I'm not sure how creating a dress pattern for cosplayers to go home to stitch, sew and use their sewing machine is part of the mechanics of a game. Dual wielding, cool downs and now dress patterns for cosplayers are now equal. :blink:

And it's a bit much to say people are shaming them. All I see is some fun being poked at Bioware for releasing dress patterns which you would probably buy at a haberdashery shop or something similar. Merchandising is great for video game developers/publishers like selling t-shirts, cups, hats, and all sorts of stuff. It's just something new to see a video game developer/publisher also create dress patterns. :lol:

And it's a bit much to say people are shaming them. All I see is some fun being poked at Bioware for releasing dress patterns which you would probably buy at a haberdashery shop or something similar. Merchandising is great for video game developers/publishers like selling t-shirts, cups, hats, and all sorts of stuff. It's just something new to see a video game developer/publisher also create dress patterns. :lol:

Nah, Alan is right. There is a veiled and insulting undertone towards  people that have chosen to partake in this type of support for DA from some of the comments in this thread.

But all I can say is his post summarizes once again my view on this topic. I don't think I can add more than what he has said. I can particularly identify with the subjective nature of what people consider " weird" or "geeky" when it comes to what we enjoy but other people consider is ridiculous

For example, have you ever tried to explain to people who don't game why its important you attend a guild meeting for a MMO that you actively participate in? They think its absurd.

"so what you doing on Sunday afternoon?"

"Well I'm busy with my guild, we have a very important meeting"

" but  what do you mean a guild..its just a game ...surly you not suggesting a game is more important than meeting your friends for a drink"

"no its not that, its the principle. I need to vote on a decision that effects how dozens behave in the game"

"yes but its not real, who cares if you are in this guild  meeting"

"well I do consider what I do in my personal time as time not wasted so I need to contribute towards something that will impact that how I spend my personal time"

" yes but surly real life commitments are more important'

"yes they are but that doesn't change the fact that people in this guild expect me to be in the meeting'

"but its just a game "

And so it goes on :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nah, Alan is right. There is a veiled and insulting undertone towards  people that have chosen to partake in this type of support for DA from some of the comments in this thread.

But all I can say is his post summarizes once again my view on this topic. I don't think I can add more than what he has said. I can particularly identify with the subjective nature of what people consider " weird" or "geeky" when it comes to what we enjoy but other people consider is ridiculous

For example, have you ever tried to explain to people who don't game why its important you attend a guild meeting for a MMO that you actively participate in? They think its absurd.

"so what you doing on Sunday afternoon?"

"Well I'm busy with my guild, we have a very important meeting"

" but  what do you mean a guild..its just a game ...surly you not suggesting a game is more important than meeting your friends for a drink"

"no its not that, its the principle. I need to vote on a decision that effects how dozens behave in the game"

"yes but its not real, who cares if you are in this guild  meeting"

"well I do consider what I do in my personal time as time not wasted so I need to contribute towards something that will impact that how I spend my personal time"

" yes but surly real life commitments are more important'

"yes they are but that doesn't change the fact that people in this guild expect me to be in the meeting'

"but its just a game "

And so it goes on :lol:

Yes I have. I play pnp every Saturday afternoon and have said to friends beforehand that I can't see them on a Saturday afternoon due to this.

BBQ lunch this Saturday? No, sorry already have something on. How about dinner at 6pm? Sure, no problem. Even my partner has said I can't attend and for them to change the time to later at night or different day to a Sunday. They don't understand what pnp is but they accept I can't see them. They know it's a game but don't understand how it works. And they accept I have something on at that time. If a friend couldn't attend a function, lunch, bbq, or any other social function, I would never hold it against them because they had a prior engagement. Sounds like you need to get better friends if they don't accept your own personal time and things and they demand you to stop with your life to be at their beck and call. Obviously if it was something important or a special function, I would forego pnp.

As for the dress patterns. Perhaps Obsidian can follow in Bioware's footsteps and create some patterns for Pallegina and Sagani. Here's a website for different styles. I think it would be divine to see Pallegina in a Halter Cut. Quick Obsidian, create some dress designs so we can see them please. And it would be great for the Cosplayers to be able to know how to make a Halter Cut, Evening Gown or a Tunic for Pallegina and Sagani. It's just as important to get the details right as it is with dual wielding and cool downs.  :)  This post is of a humorous nature and should not be considered serious in anyway.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

There is a veiled and insulting undertone towards  people that have chosen to partake in this type of support for DA from some of the comments in this thread.

I find them both ludicrous and tragic at the same time. Poking fun at them amuses me greatly. Cosplayers and Bioware, together, creating a huge swirling maelstrom of emo lameness. Even my intense enuii at the early 21st Century is lightened by their folly.

Your point?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah, please, let's keep all the BSN BS to the BSN.

There is nothing wrong with liking the Dragon Age series or Dragon Age 2 in particular. Let's not bring in the attitude that doing so makes you less intelligent.

• Like 1

There is a veiled and insulting undertone towards  people that have chosen to partake in this type of support for DA from some of the comments in this thread.

I find them both ludicrous and tragic at the same time. Poking fun at them amuses me greatly. Cosplayers and Bioware, together, creating a huge swirling maelstrom of emo lameness. Even my intense enuii at the early 21st Century is lightened by their folly.

Your point?

I appreciate your honesty, all I can say is how would you feel if there were people on a forum that you were active on that were insulting or dismissive towards something that you enjoyed?

You probably wouldn't care because you are comfortable with what you enjoy and its irrelevant to you what some virtual faceless person on a forum thinks.  But this type of criticism can be hurtful and create unnecessary acrimony as not everyone is as confident in there views and hobbies as you are.

• Like 1

John Milton 

Your point?

I appreciate your honesty, all I can say is how would you feel if there were people on a forum that you were active on that were insulting or dismissive towards something that you enjoyed?

You probably wouldn't care because you are comfortable with what you enjoy and its irrelevant to you what some virtual faceless person on a forum thinks.  But this type of criticism can be hurtful and create unnecessary acrimony as not everyone is as confident in there views and hobbies as you are.

Let's not mince words: everyone gets upset at the internet sometimes.

• Like 1

I was just being honest.

If people mock me, my interests or views then it's badinage. Nothing more. I couldn't really care less, the ignore button is your friend and 'tis nothing personal. For example, I like Volourn. I hope he has a lovely, tremendous life (he also has a backbone and drinks cement, albeit probably in a padded cell). I've had him on ignore for five years. I'm sure he doesn't care.

Maybe I need to unignore him.

Bruce, I think it's lovely that you are clearly a nice, thoughtful person. You are so open-minded I think your brain might fall out, but that's another story.

Lets agree to disagree, suffice it to say I'm not the one obsessed with the chemical properties of computer game characters over whom I obsess sexually. They are out there, Bruce.

And they must be stopped!!!

:biggrin:

sonsofgygax.JPG

I was just being honest.

If people mock me, my interests or views then it's badinage. Nothing more. I couldn't really care less, the ignore button is your friend and 'tis nothing personal. For example, I like Volourn. I hope he has a lovely, tremendous life (he also has a backbone and drinks cement, albeit probably in a padded cell). I've had him on ignore for five years. I'm sure he doesn't care.

Maybe I need to unignore him.

Bruce, I think it's lovely that you are clearly a nice, thoughtful person. You are so open-minded I think your brain might fall out, but that's another story.

Lets agree to disagree, suffice it to say I'm not the one obsessed with the chemical properties of computer game characters over whom I obsess sexually. They are out there, Bruce.

And they must be stopped!!!

:biggrin:

:lol:  "You are so open-minded I think your brain might fall out"

I do find you really funny at times, this is another topic we just have to agree to disagree on :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I'm not sure how creating a dress pattern for cosplayers to go home to stitch, sew and use their sewing machine is part of the mechanics of a game. Dual wielding, cool downs and now dress patterns for cosplayers are now equal.

They are equal in the sense that it's the targeted detail that someone really cares about. That someone wants to make a costume and wants it to be as accurate as possible isn't, as far as I'm concerned, someone that looks at a ruleset established as D&D and wants it to be faithfully applied, no exceptions (for better or worse). It's just another aspect of the game that someone cares about.

For instance, I'm not too worried about the combat mechanics for Pillars of Eternity, because for the most part I think that Sawyer has a keen perspective and fundamentally wants to make a game that is enjoyable to play. Others are a lot more concerned and vocal about it. Some people like dressing up as characters that have fun outfits. Some people even make careers out of it. Big whoop.

And it's a bit much to say people are shaming them.

Sorry, when the link is posted with laughing emoticons and comments that people are deranged, it's hardly a "hehe lets all laugh together with each other" type of situation. It comes across very much as a "hey everyone, lets point and laugh."

As for the content... for the most part it's a screen cap of the 3D model with the outfit on for reference, so no I am skeptical that it is something that "you would probably buy at a haberdashery shop or something similar" because it's just a 3D model of "this is what it looks like." Now people have a reference and they can make it out of whatever they want. Creators will wear it to cons, and others will go "hey nice work, love the attention to detail" and for the most part they'll share in their fandom and have a good time. And they have the angles to make it as accurate as they want if that's what they'd like to do.

• Like 2

I'll have to make sure I get my cake design with the correct amount of detail when I bake my cake.

So it’s with great pleasure that I announce an initiative that has been a long time in development, a project of passion for quite a few departments within BioWare. We want to give fan artists–cosplayers, illustrators, painters, writers, cake decorators, everyone–access to detailed, descriptive, high resolution character designs before the game is released.

:lol:

I didn't find it particularly veiled or an undertone, tbh. :p

Yeah, please, let's keep all the BSN BS to the BSN.

There is nothing wrong with liking the Dragon Age series or Dragon Age 2 in particular. Let's not bring in the attitude that doing so makes you less intelligent.

That attitude hasn't been brought here (now), it's been here for a very long time. Since before DA2 was released.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yes, this forum used to be full of Bioware fanbois. I was a Bioware fanboi. The disdain for Bioware you see here (from, I reckon, about half of the forum) grew slowly as we saw a once great company degrade into what it is today.

Betrayal *sobs* nothing generates hate like... betrayal dammit.

I'm sorry, I've got to go and fix my mascara now.

Edit --- in all seriousness, despite it's flaws many of us actually liked DA:O and thought it was Bioware getting back on the horse. Then we saw DA2....

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG