The NFL 2013 Thread

Keyrock

Man, I knew the Seahawks defense was good, but holy **** they're good.

3 points and barely 200 yds allowed and 5 turnovers forced  is a major beat down.  I agree; those guys are scary good.

136 decibels whilst in the huddle and line of scrimmage can mess up any offensive play calling. Seattle definitely has the home crowd advantage there. They were publicly and unashamedly trying to (and successfully) break the world record for loudest sporting event. Just so happens they purposely crank it up when the. 49ers have the ball.

Well I'm from Seattle, but I'm not sure that being known as the "world's noisiest" is a particularly worthwhile distinction.  ;) 

But the noise definitely does provide a home field advantage. The fans keep track of the number of delay of game penalties caused by the so-called "12th man". Since 2005 it's added up to 121 penalties. That's quite a lot, particularly since they focus the noise on key downs.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I was expecting 60-70 points on the board in Seattle, but no. And all the announcers admitted they thought Philadelphia would put up 70 against the Chargers today, but no, thank the ghost of Dan Fouts. Who is still alive. Damn Dan Dierdorf couldn't hide his preference for the Eagles, not at all like Phil Simms calling the Manning Bowl and somehow keeping it impartial, even with his old team on-field. Next week the Titans will fall to the Chargers.  

Dierdorf is indeed awful, but I feel I must point out that Simms' parting with the Giants' organization wasn't exactly amicable.  He hasn't shown much in the way of emotional attachment to the team since they unceremoniously cut him. 

I understand the frustrations of Cleveland fans with the Richardson trade but I think this could end up as a good trade in favor of the Browns. How this trade pans out depends on the success of the person they draft next year and with the QBs possibly going in 2014's draft, they have good chance in finding "that" QB.

And besides - good RBs are a dime-a-dozon. Mike Shanahan proved this during his long tenure as Denver's head coach. Having a talented running back is not the deciding factor in a solid running game. What one really needs is a good O-line that creates those lanes and wide-receivers/tight-ends willing to block those in the secondary. Especially with blocking WRs, those guys are rare.

Edited by Inyourprime

Man, the NFC East is awful.  6-10 might just win the division.

They're not good, but they're also not as bad as they've looked so far.  Both Philly and Dallas are adjusting to dramatic scheme changes (whole team for the Eagles, and the Dallas defense), which takes time to get running smoothly.  Washington is adjusting to the fact that their starting QB hadn't had any full-speed practicing before week 1.  And there isn't much reason to believe that the Giants' carelessness with the ball is going to be a persistent team trait throughout the season.  (Plus, they've played half their season thus far against the best team in football.) 

One of these teams will get to 9 wins.  It probably won't be the Eagles, but none of the other ones would be especially surprising. 

Holy ****, the Giants are awful.  They are getting eviscerated by the Panthers.  The Panthers!

38 - 0 so far and I don't think the blood-letting is over yet. 

Edit:  Looks like Carolina took their foot of the Giants throat. 

Damn that was ugly.

Edited by kgambit

Pretty fantastic football week for me, as a Cowboys fan.  The Boys won handily and actually looked like a competent team, granted it was against the Rams.  The Eagles lost on Thursday to a feisty Chiefs team, the skins lost to the Lions, and the Giants got obliterated by the Panthers.  The Cowboys stand atop the division, almost by default.  I predicted at the beginning of the year that the Cowboys would go 8-8 again, I just didn't know that that may well be good enough to win the division.

It's kind of hard to make heads or tails of most of the teams.  The only thing I feel really confident about is that the Seahawks are really good.  Every other team... :shrugz:  

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

As a Saints fan, I should be happy that they're 3-0, but I can't help but feel that it's been more a case of the other teams losing than them winning so far.

That undrafted running back Robinson seemed like he has real potential, but the Cardinals might not have been really trying at that point.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Of course, it's possible that a sufficiently good defense makes the opponent's offense seem incompetent, so it could be that too. But I still have this nagging feeling that it's been more luck than skill so far. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Of course, it's possible that a sufficiently good defense makes the opponent's offense seem incompetent, so it could be that too. But I still have this nagging feeling that it's been more luck than skill so far. Let's hope I'm wrong.

We're going to find out about the Saints in the next 3 weeks.  They play Miami (3-0) at the dome followed by road trips to Chicago and New England.  Before you dismiss Miami, they did just beat Atlanta (in Miami).

This is just a weird season.  Right now it looks like Seattle is simply head and shoulders above everyone else.   Nobody else is even close.

We're going to find out about the Saints in the next 3 weeks.  They play Miami (3-0) at the dome followed by road trips to Chicago and New England.  Before you dismiss Miami, they did just beat Atlanta (in Miami).

This is just a weird season.  Right now it looks like Seattle is simply head and shoulders above everyone else.   Nobody else is even close.

Well, their schedule has been pretty friendly, too.

WOW is not the word I'd use.... L0L

As for KC, I'm not too surprised. Alex Smith is a underrated QB (despite his mixed game today in the win).

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No, I don't think Alex Smith is underrated at all. He is viewed exactly as he is: a smart, reliable and good, but not dynamic QB.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Nonsense. He's constantly slammed as sucky, horrible, useless, and garabge. he was benched for an overrated QB who is merely .500 this season with the same team Smith had while Alex has taken KC to a 4-0 record despite having an overrated (but average) past his prime coach after they went a measily 2-14 last year.

Alex Smith is a very good QB.  Way better than Kappercrap.

No.

Alex Smith was garbage until Harbaugh came in the picture.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

No. Harbough was garbage  until Smith  gained enough NFL experience and LEarned how to play at a professional level then Harbough promptly threw him in the trash for a new toy now he'll need to wait 3 years before Kaperkrak figures things out then when he finally does Harbough will throw HIM in the trash for another new toy. R00fles!