Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

So alanshu, what happened at PAX today?

I'm pretty sure it did keep a lock on the active character, even when pulled all the way back. I have a playthrough of dao active, but am currently elsewhere.

Still, whatever is the lead platform won't be the deciding factor in what features they implement on the pc. Dao on consoles was WAY worse than da2 on pc.

Would you say a big part of that is because it is easier to go console to PC than PC to console?
I'm not sure if a general rule can be derived from dao, as it wasn't a case if having pc as the lead platform, but as the only platform for most of the development. The console versions were a literal afterthought, and it showed.

Had a second paragraph about platforms and features written here, but looks like I was already proven right, so no need. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In the Green Ronin RPG

Was this fan made or official?

While I'm sure you've already googled this, it being the obvious way of finding out something like this in seconds, the rpg is an officially licensed product. ;P

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, that's my Inquisitor. Lady Kossith Mage. 

Do the Qunari not cut out the tongues of mages? Would make for a very interesting role-playing opportunity playing as a mute Inquisitor, kind of like playing a low-intelligence PC in Fallout 1 and 2   :dancing:

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Unlike DA2, I think I will pick this up. The first impression I got from a 14 minute long presentation video was good. I'm thinking about this as Fantasy Effect even if the comparison is wrong. I'll play this as an arpg and enjoy it that way. If what they say about no level scaling, concequences of your choices having an impact on the world and tactical view being in, I'll be happy enough. Most importantly is that the first footage shown to the public didn't look like crap.

Edit: I won't lie, I'm very happy about the tactical view.

Edited by Labadal
  • Like 2

Well, that's my Inquisitor. Lady Kossith Mage. 

Do the Qunari not cut out the tongues of mages? Would make for a very interesting role-playing opportunity playing as a mute Inquisitor, kind of like playing a low-intelligence PC in Fallout 1 and 2   :dancing:

Tal-Vasoth

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Mixed feelings after watching, i'll try to summarise succinctly:

1. The combat looks a lot more satisfying than the silly overexaggerated DA2 combat, still don't like the batting stance the zweihander idles with.

2. Saw the protagonist roll, is this automated or do we control it? I don't wish to be controlling a party and have to manually dodge for all of them, too action gameish.

3. Scenery was exceedingly dull and brown, rather washed out, where's the colour?

4. The scenery reacting to ones actions, fireball on the boat for instance, is definitely an improvement and I look forward to setting long grass on fire etcetera if I have full control of my forces actions.

5. Are these companions mandatory? Obviously the unmotivated and poorly written caricatures of DA2 are not something I wish to see in the game, the boring dwarf and cutscene woman in armour especially. Really like to kill them both as well as Lilly Alan if possible.

6. Nice to hear that the large bronze skinned chaps are included in the character creation, can we create one without the silly horns?

7. Drop the sub par Joss Whedon attempts at humour, they only appeal to the lowest common denominator and are very painful to have to listen to.

8. Tone down the music telling you when to be sad etcetera, overemphasis is not really needed and is a little blatant.

9. Other than that the little music I heard was very nice.

10. Ditch this simplistic Templar - Mage - Veil nonsense and go with a more personal and human story, DA2 was ruined with the forced reliance on this illogical and pointless binary conflict, as well as any human motivations being over ridden by the plot boiling down to a standard evil McGuffin plot device. A personal and entirely human approach is far more satisfying to me.

11. The large map with different routes looks very promising.

12. Unsure about the talk of choices and consequences, they lied about this in the story trailer for DA2 so until refuted i'll belive they're lying again.

13. The chain's silly, drop it, emulate Mr Sawyer's idea for Eternitys engagement zones. Far better and more organic method of crowd control.

14. For your own good drop romances and stop catering to that crowd.

15. Make sure your political correctness is without any flaw, having campaigned on that agenda and rubbished many complaints as the work of homophobes and misogynists, you will be being watched for any slips that you make. The unmotivated, idle, moronic and slavelike representation of characters in DA2 will not be allowed to pass without challenge in my opinion.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Holy crap man, don't say things like that! I don't have a fallout shelter to escape into if that happens!

7. Drop the sub par Joss Whedon attempts at humour, they only appeal to the lowest common denominator and are very painful to have to listen to.

After seeing The Avengers last week, I have to say: You've no idea what you're talking about.

But hey, even if it was bad humor, it'd be still better than the I'm-so-zany/meme-bait referencial stuff everyone is doing nowadays.

• Like 1

After seeing The Avengers last week, I have to say: You've no idea what you're talking about.

But hey, even if it was bad humor, it'd be still better than the I'm-so-zany/meme-bait referencial stuff everyone is doing nowadays.

The Avenger was Joss Whedon, not a Joss Whedon imitation. BW is to Joss Whedon what Tofu is to meat.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Mixed feelings after watching, i'll try to summarise succinctly:

5. Are these companions mandatory? 

10. Ditch this simplistic Templar - Mage - Veil nonsense and go with a more personal and human story, DA2 was ruined with the forced reliance on this illogical and pointless binary conflict, as well as any human motivations being over ridden by the plot boiling down to a standard evil McGuffin plot device. A personal and entirely human approach is far more satisfying to me.

You really can't expect them to suddenly start aiming for a different audience at the end of a series.

For better or worse Bioware is now tied to the player-base that enjoys and expect those things.

BioWare's not gonna drop romances. Sex sells. They know it. I mean, look at Fire Emblem awakening. Not that Fire Emblem hasn't had a marriage system until now, but just the inclusion of a few 'waifus' is all you need to secure a lot of bux. Sawyer says romance shouldn't be "getting woman = win state", but that's what people like, they like that feeling of selecting a few obvious dialog statements and receiving "win". It's also easy for BioWare to deliver-

And you can't expect them to throw out all the dialog they recorded already? That **** is expensive. Considering the old release date for DA3, all the romance lines are already recorded at this point.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

You only saw that last week? Anyways, I agree.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For a better example of the isocam, there's this video. It also shows off a bit of exploration and confirms you'll be able to switch out your companion's armor and weapons.

I'd say that the camera is actually better than the DA:O one.

Also, it's for all platforms.

Edited by Maria Caliban
  • Like 3

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I actually like what Joss Whedon does lately, Firefly and the Avengers were nicely restrained, this is neither to me and seems to be exactly what you were referencing Oner, Buffy type zany humour, I prefer something a little more observational and restrained.

More Sten, far, far less Alistair and his lamppost licking.

I don't really expect any change at all this late in the game, just thought i'd make observations.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

For a better example of the isocam, there's this video. It also shows off a bit of exploration and confirms you'll be able to switch out your companion's armor and weapons.

I'd say that the camera is actually better than the DA:O one.

Also, it's for all platforms.

This made it for me!! Very excited now :) the tactical perspective of Dragon Age: Origins is really what made me enjoy it the most and one of the reasons I played it several times. When I began playing Dragon Age 2 and I couldn't zoom out as far as DA:O it felt as if I was being "suffocated" (figure of speech) from the freedom* I felt I had in DA:O. Great stuff :) thank you for this Maria Caliban.

I really like the camera work they've done for casting spells in 3rd Person as well, the camera kind of "zooms" out a little bit as seen here, when targeting the meteor spell.

Suddenly DA:I became "I'm skeptical" to a "must buy" for me. Woop woop! Hyped :D

Not as much as for Project Eternity of course ;) but Bioware won my heart (again) <3 everything I've seen on DA:I seems to be improvements and it looks like they've taken a lot of feedback to heart.

* Keyword

• Like 3