What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

Completely ignored my own advice about drinking last night. Four ales and a strong cider. I now feel as if I have molerats in my brainstem.

Yesterday I went on an all-dayer with some old friends and drank too much. As in eleven pints too much.

Came home and drank a cup of tea, two brufen and a pint of water with dioralyte (secret rehydration weapon). I woke up seven hours later feeling quite perky. Then as a bonus I found a pork pie in my jacket pocket (haven't a clue how it got there) which I ate for breakfast. I now feel utterly ready for whatever the day throws at me.

In fact *looks at watch* I could murder a pint.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah I know the drill. Every time I wake up with a hangover I do so with the perfect assurance that I could have avoided it if I hadn't gone to sleep without any water in a misguided attempt to tell nature and common sense to **** off.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

*nods*

I will buy a large box today.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've always thought the best way to combat a hangover is to deal with it like a man. Then again, it takes quite a bit to get me hangover to the point where I find it to be mildly debilitating.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Didn't finish work in time to hit the chemists.

My one-up is a good lad. Took one look at me this morning, and swiftly produced a fresh bacon sandwich. Plenty of fast work to do helped keep the rot away.

-Elwood Blues

Just got home from a 2 week road trip yesterday. Traveled in 8 states here in the west, including our own home state of Washington. Spent most of our time down in Tucson where I used to live and in Ace's hometown of Sierra Vista, which is an hours drive from Tucson. Not a single day went by where it didn't get past a 100 degrees F.

Soooo, today it is loads of laundry and putting stuff away. As much fun as we had, I'm happy to be home.

Well wth, I put this in the wrong thread. I meant it for the what did you do today thread.

Bear with me you all, please.... I guess I'm still in travel mode.

So I'll just say what I had for dinner and this post will be somewhat right. Leftover chinese take-out! :lol:

Edited by 'GM'
  • Like 1

Meat and potato pie, and a very small schnapps just to make certain my liver doesn't get all defeatist.

Still hungry, so am going to make some broth with a stock cube, pepper, half teaspoon of butter.

-Elwood Blues

Lo Mein and Orange Beef. Washing it down with vodka lemonade.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Re: chicken

The weird thing is where I live, whole raw chickens aren't very popular in the average grocery store. Sometimes a store has none at all. I'm guessing this is because stores discovered they sell a lot more pre-cooked rotisserie deli chickens, which at this point are about the same price as a raw one ($11-$13). :p

When I told hubby this, he was all "no wai" until he saw it himself. I could go to something like Costco and maybe get a pack of 4 or 6 raw for cheaper, but I have no need for that many whole chickens at once, let alone the fridge/freezer space. Used to buy packs of 8-10 skin-on/bone-in thighs or legs decades ago (I'd pull the skin off), which was nice because they fit into a 9x13 pan, but I don't even see those all that often anymore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Meat and potato pie, and a very small schnapps just to make certain my liver doesn't get all defeatist.

Still hungry, so am going to make some broth with a stock cube, pepper, half teaspoon of butter.

You are Bear Grylls and I claim my ten electrum pieces.

sonsofgygax.JPG

This will give you a very simple chicken soupy tasting broth that is thin without being anaemic. It costs about 30p.

In a small pan, melted one teaspoon margarine. Add one chicken stock cube, crumbled. Add one teaspoon flour. Stir into the margarine on a medium heat to form a roux. Next add one tablespoon of milk. This will boil away merrily, so reasonably fast add a quantity of boiling water.

Crack black pepper if you feel like it, or you could add paprika for colour.

-Elwood Blues

I have just received a text from an unknown number saying "Thanks again for dinner :-) xxxx"

Unless it's from my own stomach I am pretty boggled.

-Elwood Blues

Re: chicken

The weird thing is where I live, whole raw chickens aren't very popular in the average grocery store. Sometimes a store has none at all. I'm guessing this is because stores discovered they sell a lot more pre-cooked rotisserie deli chickens, which at this point are about the same price as a raw one ($11-$13). :p

When I told hubby this, he was all "no wai" until he saw it himself. I could go to something like Costco and maybe get a pack of 4 or 6 raw for cheaper, but I have no need for that many whole chickens at once, let alone the fridge/freezer space. Used to buy packs of 8-10 skin-on/bone-in thighs or legs decades ago (I'd pull the skin off), which was nice because they fit into a 9x13 pan, but I don't even see those all that often anymore.

keep in mind that your typical rotisserie chicken is a broiler or fryer... means that weight is probable around 2.5lbs. am usual seeing rotiserrie chickens listed at ~30 oz so as to confuse folks. that weight accounts for cooked differential of a broiler. roasters can be 3.5-6lbs... and is usual on the bigger size as that means they is older. so, you is probable getting slight better than 2x as much chicken with the raw and uncooked roaster as 'posed to rotisserie as bones, and skin,  'n waste accounts for a greater percentage o' total weight on a smaller bird.  thus, once again, Gromnir is like a beacon o' light in the darkness, dispelling myth and hokum perpetuated by The Man.

older roasters may be tougher than younger birds, but that simple means that you need be a bit more careful in how you prep. coq au vin and the recipes we listed above is gonna result is not gonna result in anything remote resembling toughness or dryness.

speaking o' dry, brines is a good way to combat dry. however, while we almost always brine a turkey, we rare use brine on any chicken recipe save for grilled and boneless breast meat. boil a 2 litre o' your favorite soda so as to dissolve 1/2C o' kosher salt. use as a brine. and don't forget, brine is Not marinade. don't let sit in brine overnight. couple hours is more than enough. oh, and don't use diet soda. that would be... vile.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as a snob, we rare buy meat at supermarket, so is not an issue for us. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The more I read about Gromir's dinner lifestyle, the more I want to hang out at his house for a meal.

The weird thing about chain supermarkets here is even when they're stocked, the raw chicken's really aren't any bigger than the resultant pre-cooked ones. At least, not that I've seen. Seriously, they're small. Anyway, since I'm pretty sure running your own backyard chicken coop/butcher is likely illegal here - might get away with a laying hen or two, but that's it - I don't have many close by local options in that regard.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Chinese take-out for tonight

Oh gosh, we shoulda got together and shared. I had chicken lo mein, crispy beef and the rest of my hot and sour soup. There's still some left.

Ours was Mu Shu Pork, Szechuan Beef (Spicy) and Lemon Chicken with steamed rice.  Lots of left-overs

• Like 1

Never tried the Mu Shu Pork, but been tempted. The Szechuan Beef is the same as our crispy beef, I just couldn't remember how it was spelled. But it was also spicy. Had the pork fried rice though instead of steamed this time. I tend to switch back and forth on that.

Never tried the Mu Shu Pork, but been tempted. The Szechuan Beef is the same as our crispy beef, I just couldn't remember how it was spelled. But it was also spicy. Had the pork fried rice though instead of steamed this time. I tend to switch back and forth on that.

The lemon chicken was a disappointment, but the other two were very good.  Especially the Szechuan Beef but you have to ask to have it spiced up.