What you did today

Tale

I've mentioned this before but World War One is the conflict that I am most fascinated with and I collect as many books around that war as I can, the problem is I have many excellent autobiographies written by the likes of Robert Graves and Sigfried Sassoon but very few books that represent the German side of the war and life in the trenches. Almost all the German perspectives of the war are written in German so purchasing them wouldn't help as I can't read or speak German  ;(

Then I can wholeheartedly recommend you the book ''in Stahlgewittern'' (Storm of steel), the enthralling diary of Ernst Jünger, a (slightly fanatic) German troop officer in WWI ( ISBN 0-86527-310-3) - yes, there exists a translated version of this book, I think Amazon international sells them. One hell of an exciting book, he served in WWI from the beginning to its very end. 

Begleitbuch_zu_In_Stahlgewitten.jpg

Bruce, whats your second language? There exists tons of good German literature so its definitely a language worth learning. I'm a lucky bastard and can read manuscripts and books written by both sides of the conflict.  :biggrin:

I have the English version of that book and its brilliant, in fact that's the only book I have that shows a perspective of a German infantryman in the First World War. You can see it was the Germans who started the concept of small groups of highly skilled men who could navigate the trenches quickly and with deadly impact. Also in the version I have in the notes at the end he mentions how he was contacted years later by a Scottish soldier who his division faced during the Ludendorff Offensive and read his book. Really interesting. There is another famous English translation book called "A fatalist at War" by Rudolf Georg Binding that's looks very good

But you are right, I should learn German as I am denying myself some good reading material. You are fortunate to be fluent in English and German. Afrikaans is my second language

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

what up vanillafaces, 

I'm going to Europe at the end of the month, so that's exciting. Anyone got any tips for being in France?

Be sure to take a trip to Monaco. I'll never forget that place! Nice (the city) is very nice, too.

Peace studies ? What kind of hippy course is that ? :p

Week off starting rather slowly as I've just been sitting here. Did manage to get the dogs out for a walk at 7:30 or so, before the heat kicked in too much (due for 40 C with humidity all this week, joy).

110% Hippy

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

what up vanillafaces, 

I'm going to Europe at the end of the month, so that's exciting. Anyone got any tips for being in France?

You going to have an amazing time. In France you'll experience some of the best food in the world and loads to see historically and culturally. Though I did find Paris very expensive. What are the things you enjoy and maybe you'll get some suggestions around that?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

what up vanillafaces, 

Yeah. French girls are great in bed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Chasing up an assortment of bank things today. Pondering on whether to try the barber's in this weather..  Also have assorted furniture moving/going through piles of crap and sorting what stays and goes going on at the moment...

Although right now I'm pondering on a quick cool shower to fight off some of this clammy heat.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sold a rifle to buy....a new rifle.  :dancing:  Whats astonishing is I sold the rifle 10 minutes after I decided to get rid of it, and the price was not to shabby either. Thats a new record! 

What did you sell and what did you buy?

Pretty sure that half the forum now thinks I'm a crazy gun nut and I've also been added to a few NSA (and other 3 letter agency) watch lists  :p

Don't worry about that, you're in good company!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

@ True Neutral

Sorry to hear that, hope everything goes well.

What I did today?

Soul crushing seemingly never ending office work for a salary thats barely enough to keep myself and my guns fed. To get my anger and frustration out of my system I did my favorite weight exercises today, 3 sets of 8 350 lbs barbell shrugs and 2 sets of one armed 160 lbs t-bar shrugs to hit the neck really hard. I love neck exercises.

I'm also interesting in what you bought/sold

Sold a Mauser 98 FR-8 308Win to buy a longer version (not the carbine version) of this rifle:

As much as I love black tacticool modern rifles, nothing beats old simple military surplus warhorses, wood and steel, they just work and they're on the very top of my ''aesthetically pleasant things'' - list.

G1911.jpg?t=1297364693

Completely agree! The prize of my collection is a US Army issue Springfield 1903. My dad bought it at a surplus store in the 50's. I won't even shoot is anymore. It's on display in my living room. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Welcome to your local branch of the bank ,where we can do all the usual helpful things. Like tell you that for problem a> you have to make an appointment to see someone at a different branch. For problem b> we talk as if we can help you, but actually that means you going away to write a letter you bring back so we can send it to someone else, so they can do stuff that in a week or two might help. For problem c> we'll smile and re-iterate that you need to make an appointment with someone at another branch.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

@ True Neutral

Sorry to hear that, hope everything goes well.

What I did today?

Soul crushing seemingly never ending office work for a salary thats barely enough to keep myself and my guns fed. To get my anger and frustration out of my system I did my favorite weight exercises today, 3 sets of 8 350 lbs barbell shrugs and 2 sets of one armed 160 lbs t-bar shrugs to hit the neck really hard. I love neck exercises.

I'm also interesting in what you bought/sold

Sold a Mauser 98 FR-8 308Win to buy a longer version (not the carbine version) of this rifle:

As much as I love black tacticool modern rifles, nothing beats old simple military surplus warhorses, wood and steel, they just work and they're on the very top of my ''aesthetically pleasant things'' - list.

G1911.jpg?t=1297364693

Completely agree! The prize of my collection is a US Army issue Springfield 1903. My dad bought it at a surplus store in the 50's. I won't even shoot is anymore. It's on display in my living room. 

I remember watching this guy's videos on YT. He's quite interesting to listen to. 

I think the new generation of polymer weapons is as ugly and crude as it gets. Sorry, wood and steel, preferably blued, all the way.

S&W model 17, Ruger Vaquero and AK 47* . Case closed.

*all of them hernia inducing

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I think the new generation of polymer weapons is as ugly and crude as it gets. Sorry, wood and steel, preferably blued, all the way.

S&W model 17, Ruger Vaquero and AK 47* . Case closed.

I agree, most of the new plastic wonders don't just look crude and ugly, they feel like toys in my hands. The plastic parts bend, don't feel solid, they balance strangely, they rattle when shaken, stamped parts everywhere...eww. 

I take this....

No4MK2-1.jpg

.....over this any day.

4218.jpg

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

From that metal band on the barrel, and the smoothly rounded magazine I'm going to guess Short Magazine Lee-Enfield .303. Stock looks an odd shape, though.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, its the No4 Mark 2, the best of the Enfield rifles. That model is a post-war model made for the Irish but the Brits never shipped them and sold them in the 70's, this particular model I believe was made at the Fazakerley plant and is equipped with the long range Parker Hale peep sight. 

Match-grade sights, smooth super fast bolt, powerful round, 10 round magazine, quick stripper clips, this rifle is definitely effective.

The stock doesn't look odd to me, in fact its extremely comfortable even for a tall-ish guy like me. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

That's the saddest part. It looks like a cheap chinese sci-fi toy gun but it can still kill you easy as pie. Its like being savaged by a rubber duck, you're left with no dignity at all in addition to being dead.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

<My eyes are going to fall out of their sockets.

Pixel art is hard. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

That's the saddest part. It looks like a cheap chinese sci-fi toy gun but it can still kill you easy as pie. Its like being savaged by a rubber duck, you're left with no dignity at all in addition to being dead.

I do wonder at how they come up with a design of the 'look' of the gun. US and Russian weapons generally keep looking the same though, just with rails and foregrips. Hm...some one needs to put rails on a Mosin-Nagant.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The 'plastic' one looks awful ...until you have to carry the wooden one 15 miles in addition all your other kit. Ditto .303 rounds versus 5.56. But every schoolboy knows this. And my niece. :p

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had a joke about how by changing the appearance of the rifle it has now become an "assault weapon" even though the function has remained same but I think it would have only been funny to me.

What I did today? Nothing really, just another day in the life of a soulless corporate drone

EDIT: Almost forgot I spent a few hours trying to find some info on speeding fines for when my wife inevitably gets caught and gets a ticket. I swear they make it impossible to find on purpose. Every link just sends you in a big circle and you end up with no information other than how to pay. I'm not anti govt but today I feel like they are trolling me

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I do wonder at how they come up with a design of the 'look' of the gun. US and Russian weapons generally keep looking the same though, just with rails and foregrips. Hm...some one needs to put rails on a Mosin-Nagant.

Actually the Israeli Tavor is rather similar. And then there's the experimental US army X-23 or whatever its called, a fully modular rifle. And the good old Austrian Steyr Aug. Its all derivations of a similar bullpup design. They don't look exactly alike but they follow a similar overall trend worldwide.

There's probably an effort to make it look different on purpose so that it can stand out and be easy to remember. There is a necessity to change things around to keep the sales going even though everyone knows that assault rifles have hit a dead end a long time ago. 

You'll see more of these designs in hollywood movies than in actual war.

The one assault rifle I'd like to have that every Swiss who has served in the army has is SIG 550:

3810.jpg

It used to be (still might be) the most expensive assault rifle due to quality Swiss manufacturing. (and perhaps over-inflated SIG prices). 

I really like the overall shape though.