Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

Speaking of armour and clothing designs, one thing that has been niggling at me is how the Aedyr garb looks like it's from a completely different era to the Vailian clothing.
Like hundreds of years difference.

pe-cultures-1200x657.jpg

I wonder if their armour will be similarly archaic in design?
Would it be possible to make Roman/Greek inspired armour seem functional against early-modern period inspired armour without it losing it's aesthetic sensibilities?
Is the Aedyr armour even going to be inspired by those cultures at all?

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Speaking of armour and clothing designs, one thing that has been niggling at me is how the Aedyr garb looks like it's from a completely different era to the Vailian clothing.

I wonder if their armour will be similarly archaic in design?

Would it be possible to make Roman/Greek inspired armour seem functional against early-modern period inspired armour without it losing it's aesthetic sensibilities?

Is the Aedyr armour even going to be inspired by those cultures at all?

I can't find the source, but I think it's been mentioned that the various cultures inhabiting the world of PE will have rather varying levels of technological advancement; with Vailians and denizens of Dyrwood enjoying the technical advancements of the Renaissance era and the rest of the world being somewhere between Early (Glanfathans) and High Middle (Aedyrans?) ages.

And I agree, there's definitely some disconnect between the Vailian and Aedyran attires - making the latter look rather anachronistic. Dyrwoodian clothing also looks rather odd in this context.

Sadly, we don't know that much about cultural armour designs just yet. Should Aedyran designs by inspired by Roman/Greek culture, Eastern Roman Empire would be a nice source of inspiration, particularly for later period arms and armour.

1365218692381.jpg

• Like 1

Why do they look so disgusted? Did a bird poop into their soup? Are they sick and vomited into their cups? Or maybe they lost all their food in a bet in the local tavern and now they have to eat dirt or something....

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Why do they look so disgusted? Did a bird poop into their soup? Are they sick and vomited into their cups? Or maybe they lost all their food in a bet in the local tavern and now they have to eat dirt or something....

A drink for the fallen? Looks like they've all been in battle recently...

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

It could be a retro thing. A 'return to the values of our fathers'.

I like your point about armour having a functional component in its aesthetic. You mean like the pigeon chest of 'ironside' cavalry? But magic renders the physical dynamics less important, surely?

Armadura_Portuguesa.JPG

Also, found this cool helmet while I was looking

Helmet_of_Warrior.JPG

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How niggled were you when the Spanish conquistadors wearing steel plate and brandishing muskets and steel swords on horseback came at llama wool-clad Incas?

Ignoring that, this is clothing you're looking at, the Aedyr clothing is vaguely romanesque, not Roman. Those outfits are a long way from a toga. Medieval Stasis can still be preserved without all the armor being designed to the standards of history buff/medieval reenactors (i.e. precisely accurate replicas of real armor for a fictional setting where the laws of physics are different, if they even exist.)

• Like 1

How niggled were you when the Spanish conquistadors wearing steel plate and brandishing muskets and steel swords on horseback came at llama wool-clad Incas?

The Aedyr and the Vailians are both large, colonial powers with mostly similar levels of technology, the Vailians being somewhat ahead in that area. The Vailians and Aedyr also presumably frequently interact with one another, as most large empires with goods to trade are wont to do.

The Spanish were a large colonial empire whilst the Incas were an isolated people who still used obsidian in their tools and weapons.

A more apt comparison from the Spaniards to the Incas would be the Vailians to the Boreal Dwarves.

It could be a retro thing. A 'return to the values of our fathers'.

That first explanation is interesting.

Another thing that I thought of is that their dress could be very class based, as only free Roman men were allowed to wear togas, and I believe Sawyer has stated that the Aedyr do own slaves.

Therefore it could a status thing as well, where wealthy Aedyr wear archaic fashions from their empire's past in order to further distinguish themselves from the lower class and the slaves.

I like your point about armour having a functional component in its aesthetic. You mean like the pigeon chest of 'ironside' cavalry? But magic renders the physical dynamics less important, surely?

In an early update it was stated that not everyone could use magic, meaning that effective armour is still necessary for the average soldier.

Also, if magic truly did make armour less neccessary or uneccesary, then some wizards would not need to wear it into battle, but they do, so we can assume that mundane protection is still necessary despite the protection offered by magic.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

In an early update it was stated that not everyone could use magic, meaning that effective armour is still necessary for the average soldier.

Also, if magic truly did make armour less neccessary or uneccesary, then some wizards would not need to wear it into battle, but th do, so we can assume that mundane protection is still necessary despite the protection offered by magic.

Wizards wear armor, because their magically defense the arcane veil is easily penetrated by firearms(pistols, blunderbusses and arquebuses).

schraubss.jpg

I didn't comment on this before for some reason, but this is possibly one of the greatest weapon ideas ever. Take the best freaking tool in the entire toolbox universe (the wrench is amazing! Don't deny it!) and make it into a powerful Fantasy weapon.

"The Unrelenting Nippletwister"

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I really need to buy myself a cape.

A cape, or a cloak? Because cloaks are so much more practical/awesome. Just sayin', u_u... :)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

A cape, or a cloak? Because cloaks are so much more practical/awesome. Just sayin', u_u... :)

I never realized there's a difference before now.

Anyway, what the heck is wrong with the fashion industry for not bringing the cloaks back already!?

• Like 3

schraubss.jpg

I didn't comment on this before for some reason, but this is possibly one of the greatest weapon ideas ever. Take the best freaking tool in the entire toolbox universe (the wrench is amazing! Don't deny it!) and make it into a powerful Fantasy weapon.

"The Unrelenting Nippletwister"

''The cursed ballpincher +5.'' If the saving throw fails the enemy is stunned for 5 rounds

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I think one could debate the definitions of cape, cloak and poncho for a long, long, time. ;)

What I'd actually like is something that might be a cross between obi-wan's hooded robe and The Man With No Name's poncho, with a dash of Dracula's cape. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anyway, what the heck is wrong with the fashion industry for not bringing the cloaks back already!?

Hoodies.  The things that capes do have been supplanted by coats and jackets, for the most part.  Function over form.

I think one could debate the definitions of cape, cloak and poncho for a long, long, time. ;)

What I'd actually like is something that might be a cross between obi-wan's hooded robe and The Man With No Name's poncho, with a dash of Dracula's cape. :p

Cape - any sleeveless outer garment, but typically one that covers the back half of the wearer, fastening around the neck.

Cloak is a cape that serves the same purpose as an outercoat and may or may not have a hood.

Poncho is a cape that covers the front and back of the wearer, and may or may not need a fastener.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hoodies.  The things that capes do have been supplanted by coats and jackets, for the most part.  Function over form.

Show me a hoodie that comes down to your ankles and can be removed with a single flourish, and I'll admit cloaks are obsolete. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u