Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

The equipment is standard medieval stuff, but the art is awesome.

I think that's kinda the point of this thread, isn't it? :D

Pretty cool videos from the German LARP Epic Empires, Pilgerlager (Pilgrim's Camp of the holy St. Clara):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdDR6H9zDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTrdH5D2M98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAJF_7-OZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_rF1O1fBY

Elan_song.gif

And now for something more fantasy-flavoured (interestingly enough, both pieces remind me of Justin Sweet) :

900_max.jpg

793_max.jpg

I'd say these designs would be just about perfect for a ranger character. Practical, grounded in reality and nicely nuanced. Not carbon copies of historical equipment, but clearly inspired by it - and that just about sums up my preferred stance. I like the simple longsword the second character uses.

• Like 9

Its not just a great ranger armor, I think this would also make a nice everyday adventurer armor, the kind of armor I imagine a wayfaring adventurer is wearing on his travels.
Comfortable, lightweight, flexible, not cumbersome, not drawing too much attention offering a passable amount of protection in thug ambushes and attacks in the wild from Goblins or Orcs and easy to maintain & repair.
I have a hard time picturing an adventurer wearing a full plate mail all day long.

Anyway, some cool outfits from the 30 year war. I love the boots the guy in the lower left corner is wearing. Thats definitely a pair of boots of speed. Must have cost him a fortune. 

caballeria_imperial.jpg

• Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Its not just a great ranger armor, I think this would also make a nice everyday adventurer armor, the kind of armor I imagine a wayfaring adventurer is wearing on his travels.

Comfortable, lightweight, flexible, not cumbersome, not drawing too much attention offering a passable amount of protection in thug ambushes and attacks in the wild from Goblins or Orcs and easy to maintain & repair.

I have a hard time picturing an adventurer wearing a full plate mail all day long.

Anyway, some cool outfits from the 30 year war. I love the boots the guy in the lower left corner is wearing. Thats definitely a pair of boots of speed. Must have cost him a fortune. 

Indeed, good point; I'll try to find more of similar designs.

Also, I'd like to point out - THE PLUMES, MAN! :)

It would be neat if you could get a helm with slots FOR MAGIC PLUMES. Different plumage confers different powaz. FEAR MY VORPAL PLUMES! The irony of course, being that the more outlandishly covered in feathers you are, the more awesome you get.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

It would be neat if you could get a helm with slots FOR MAGIC PLUMES. Different plumage confers different powaz. FEAR MY VORPAL PLUMES! The irony of course, being that the more outlandishly covered in feathers you are, the more awesome you get.

182063071.jpg

Just leaving it out there...

(even though I hate the shoulderpads).

• Like 1

Its indeed a nice piece of art, though the artist can't draw horses, they look like balloon animals and the proportions are all incorrect.

Maybe they're just a really squat breed of horses? I've seen some pretty goofy-looking actual horses. :)

Also, in Thief 4 (Or, the new Thief reboot, which is technically the 4th game?), they designed Garrett pretty nicely, I think.

http://www.bubblews.com/news/369162-thief-4-garrett

(Click on the image thumbnail at the top of the article for a larger view)

They actually crafted his suit/equipment, in real life, and had a person test wear it, to make sure it was, indeed, functional and stealthy. Plus, he's got a retractable bow, a working replica of which they designed and had forged.

It's that level of realism that I think is nice. The fantasy aspect is more just "would anyone really have that," rather than "is that even feasible at all?".

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

They actually crafted his suit/equipment, in real life, and had a person test wear it, to make sure it was, indeed, functional and stealthy. Plus, he's got a retractable bow, a working replica of which they designed and had forged.

It's that level of realism that I think is nice. The fantasy aspect is more just "would anyone really have that," rather than "is that even feasible at all?".

On the downside, what they came up with looks completely generic.

Not bad necessarily, but not memorable either.

Also.. did they think they were designing a female character?

The trademark opening to see lower belly is there, but now stuffed with armor.

And... is that a corset? And... so much mascara?

But... after being a jerk about it.. yeah. That's a good rogue set, one of the best ones I've seen.

(also a set that screams "I'm a thief" so not ideal for day to day use in urban areas)

• Like 1

On the downside, what they came up with looks completely generic.

Not bad necessarily, but not memorable either.

Also.. did they think they were designing a female character?

The trademark opening to see lower belly is there, but now stuffed with armor.

And... is that a corset? And... so much mascara?

But... after being a jerk about it.. yeah. That's a good rogue set, one of the best ones I've seen.

(also a set that screams "I'm a thief" so not ideal for day to day use in urban areas)

Meh... I think I know what you mean by "generic," but I wouldn't use that word, really. They're going for a pretty realistic/practical/functional approach. More of a "this is your character's personalized look/style in his selection of equipment that he actually wears and uses all the time" than "this is your character trying to look really cool." I mean, it's kind of like his work uniform, really.

As for the corset... Heh, I see what you mean, there, too, but I'm pretty sure it's just a harness. I'm sure it serves as a bit of light armor, too, but he's really not designed to take people on in direct combat, so, again, it's more for utility than for "this is supposed to be armor." And I think the functionality of it was much more important in its design than the intent to show midriff. That's probably more for mobility than for visuals, as a solid leather torsopiece would probably be much more difficult to ultra-crouch in and hide as effectively as possible. Plus, I think he uses it as an actual harness-type thing for grappling hook lines and such? I'm not really sure, though. But, like I said, they actually made this and had a real-life person wear it, to see if it effectively held all the equipment props in actually-accessible locations and such while still allowing the guy to move around stealthily and dexterously. So, for that, I commend them. And, it's pretty low-profile, as far as being easily spotted goes. 8P

As for the eyeliner, I don't rightly know. That could just be something they thought was cool, or it could have something to do with reflected light around the eyes. I mean, sports players use that blackout stuff under their eyes to reduce glare and such off of their cheeks/face. Maybe they did some research, and found out that black around the eyes actually helps retain better vision in darkness when lights strike the face? *Shrug* I haven't the faintest. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u