RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

The problem with the GTA5 trailer for me is the golf and tennis minigames look like legitimate games.  They should be fun and quick diversions, not the newest version of Tiger Woods Golf.  

I'm more excited to swing a **** bat at aliens, to be honest.  

That's what I thought as well. I was experiencing feature bloat by San Andreas. Dumb repetitive things, like working out in the gym. I work out in a real gym, why would I want to go home and do more of that for a virtual character? Same thing with GTAIV and hanging out with friends. Drive to pick them up, drive them to the destination, pray that nothing goes wrong, drive them back (iirc?)... Bleh. A 5-10 minute non interactive cutscene would have offered all character progression necessary, without all the tedium.

Its like they're trying to make the game all things to all people. As a general rule, that doesn't work. I see the 3 protagonists and I get a headache thinking I'll get recruited into doing similar tasks three times as much as before.

The developers lose focus too. Some of the GTAIV minigames were well designed, but many of the missions were terrible murder sprees that totally clash with the realism the game aspires to - so it turned out that minigames were at time better than core gameplay?!

That was the worst immersion breaker. On one side you have an attempt at serious storytelling on the other the completely nonsensical "going postal" GTA missions. Niko is portrayed as a good guy, essentially sick of violence - but you have him kill more people than the Terminator. There was more murdering in the game than stealing cars and running away!

Its okay for a game to be as serious as "Mafia" or as silly as Vice City, but having both in one makes for a thoroughly disconnected experience.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Also notice plural "titles". Are they gonna port RDR too?

I wouldn't count on it unfortunately.

Hi Alan :)

Welcome back, where have you been?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why not? 

I love the Saints Row games, but the new GTA trailer just killed SR4 for me.

I love the Saints Row games and the new GTA trailer does nothing for me.

Really? I'm not sure if you are joking, I don't want to  turn this into a SR vs GTA discussion but you can't possibly compare the outlandish and exaggerated gameplay antics of the SR4 trailer to the real living world of GTA5?

Both look good but GTA5 is on a different level and it always has been? :geek:

Here's the thing - the kind of crime game the GTA series is doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll go out on a limb and say Rockstar Games in general don't appeal to me because I have yet to play one I've really liked.

And had Saints Row stayed a GTA style game I'd have never played it. It actually wasn't until about 6 months after SR2 was released and I happened upon an article talking about the crazy stuff that I bought a used version of it and tried it out. And it was the ridiculousness of it that made me like it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hopefully for $4.99, any more than that is a rip off.

Eh, ps3. A bit more than the cheapest stores in Helsinki, but gave me the opportunity for an impulse buy instead of waiting for weeks, as stocks seemed low :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hopefully for $4.99, any more than that is a rip off.

I paid $40 for the full game and DLC a few weeks ago, and it has been well worth it.   :p

Ouch, sucks to pay that much. Well, considering the "Please buy me!!" sales they were having last year :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here's the thing - the kind of crime game the GTA series is doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll go out on a limb and say Rockstar Games in general don't appeal to me because I have yet to play one I've really liked.

And had Saints Row stayed a GTA style game I'd have never played it. It actually wasn't until about 6 months after SR2 was released and I happened upon an article talking about the crazy stuff that I bought a used version of it and tried it out. And it was the ridiculousness of it that made me like it.

The 3D GTA games never really did appeal to me that much, compared to the old school top down 2D games.  SR3's ridiculous over the top gameplay left me in stitches however.  To be fair, however, I have only dabbled with GTA games since.

I probably wouldn't have played SR3 without the co-op mode though, and the same will probably be true for SR4.

• Like 1

I think a while ago on another thread you also described the SR genre in a similar way and I thought " yes that's exactly how I see SR games "

Nope, that was me :p

Honest ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Meh, every time I see SR3 I wonder how I missed the Space Rangers 3 release. Damn acronyms.

Why not? 

Borked codebase that barely works on consoles and that would require major reworking, supposedly.

Meh, every time I see SR3 I wonder how I missed the Space Rangers 3 release. Damn acronyms.

Hmm got Space Rangers 2 installed at the moment. I just suck at the game. And it needs a certain level of commitment

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I don't know. I loved Saint's Row 2. It was a good mix of semi-realistic story (yes, really!) and bat-**** crazy antics. But in Saint's Row 3, it was more like.. "LOOK HOW CRAZY WE CAN BE!! LOOK!!! WE ARE THE CRAZIEST ONES, AREN'T WE FUN??". They dropped any semblance of reality and just gave you superpowers basically from the start (halfway through the game you even become an invincible killing machine with endless ammo).

I think Saint's Row 3 took it a step too far. I loved it, but it wasn't as fun or funny as Saint's Row 2.

GTA4 sucked for me. I dutifully completed it after I bought it, but at no point did I actually have any fun. I have tried reinstalling it two or three times, but I just can't replay it (was going for some achievements). It's just too dull. And as some of you have already mentioned, they filled the game with horribly unlikeable characters.. that kept on calling you every five minutes, no matter what you were doing! Combined with the worst world design of any of the GTA's and "realistic" driving (god, that's laughable), that makes it a bad game for me. It's actually so bad that even though I bought both the expansions, I just can't force myself to download and play them.

GTA5 looks a lot like an extremely beautiful GTA: San Andreas to me. And as San Andreas is my favourite GTA (and one of my favourite games period).. WOO!!!

Can't wait to try one of those bicycle races :)

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

yes, SR games are only worth it for the co-op. and yes, GTA is one of my favorite game series (seriously, every game is better than the previous one, I absolutely loved GTA IV and I'm sure V will not disappoint)

and those of you who think otherwise I can only feel sorry for

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't know. I loved Saint's Row 2. It was a good mix of semi-realistic story (yes, really!) and bat-**** crazy antics. But in Saint's Row 3, it was more like.. "LOOK HOW CRAZY WE CAN BE!! LOOK!!! WE ARE THE CRAZIEST ONES, AREN'T WE FUN??". They dropped any semblance of reality and just gave you superpowers basically from the start (halfway through the game you even become an invincible killing machine with endless ammo).

I think Saint's Row 3 took it a step too far. I loved it, but it wasn't as fun or funny as Saint's Row 2.

GTA4 sucked for me. I dutifully completed it after I bought it, but at no point did I actually have any fun. I have tried reinstalling it two or three times, but I just can't replay it (was going for some achievements). It's just too dull. And as some of you have already mentioned, they filled the game with horribly unlikeable characters.. that kept on calling you every five minutes, no matter what you were doing! Combined with the worst world design of any of the GTA's and "realistic" driving (god, that's laughable), that makes it a bad game for me. It's actually so bad that even though I bought both the expansions, I just can't force myself to download and play them.

GTA5 looks a lot like an extremely beautiful GTA: San Andreas to me. And as San Andreas is my favourite GTA (and one of my favourite games period).. WOO!!!

Maybe you didn't understand the story in GTA4? That could be the reason you never got into it and didn't have fun  :unsure:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Maybe you didn't understand the story in GTA4? That could be the reason you never got into it and didn't have fun  :unsure:

Unless it has some hidden depths you need more than a PhD to understand, I'm fairly sure I got it and it still blew. :p

• Like 6

I was agreeing with everything but you lost me at the last two sentences.

If R* still feels activities like tennis are what players want how is it any different from the virtual friends circle of GTA4?

I was agreeing with everything but you lost me at the last two sentences.

If R* still feels activities like tennis are what players want how is it any different from the virtual friends circle of GTA4?

Said "virtual friends circle" was the actual reason I stopped playing. I have real friends, and they are a lot less needy than those guys. :p

• Like 1

the only good GTA was vice city

• Like 2

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So we have reached the usual Obsidian consensus on the issue.

• Like 1

:biggrin: Yeah and it makes me laugh

But I would say we are all in agreement that GTA is the superior game ????? 

John Milton 

Unless it has some hidden depths you need more than a PhD to understand, I'm fairly sure I got it and it still blew. :p

Nep stop using lawyer talk to undermine my point :w00t:

John Milton 

:biggrin: Yeah and it makes me laugh

But I would say we are all in agreement that GTA is the superior game ????? 

Than SR? Hell to the no.