E3 Thread - 2013 Edition

C2B

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

Huh!  I could totally see this being "by design" for the E3 demo, but after reading the article, I'm very surprised that they seem to feel this is ideal for the game in general.  If you want to make the button press not necessary for progression, at least allow it to provide variation.

But it's still bad, mmmkay.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I don't think I quite understand....

It's not like I said "this is a glorious idea."  I don't think it's a good idea.  I can understand what he thinks, though it's not a position that I think is a good one.  If you want to make your player not fail in that situation, fine.  But do it in a better way.

At this point, it just means that the game is not for people like you and me.  And that's okay.  I just think that they could do a better job with the group they do seem to be aiming for.

Apparently the rep did a bad job explaining Kotaku how the system works: those QTEs are finishers that give you extra experience/bonuses, and you can fail them, though it won't impact whether you kill the enemies.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/the-brutal-proactive-combat-of-ryse-son-of-rome/

The game still looks awful in everything but graphics though.

Well those that have rigs that can run Crytek games are generally hardcore gamers. The filthy rich with the best gear that are in it for a casual experience are not exactly a big market.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Apparently the rep did a bad job explaining Kotaku how the system works: those QTEs are finishers that give you extra experience/bonuses, and you can fail them, though it won't impact whether you kill the enemies.

That's what was explained in the Kotaku article, the Kotaku blogger is just a whining idiot who apparently likes ****ty games with ****ty gameplay. It's not the first game to have different failure states for QTE many games have this, Mark of the Ninja has them with the same XP boost mechanic, although it also punishes you with noise or failure in some contexts. It at least makes the game bearable for gamers, who'd rather play games than watch for screen cues for button presses, if they took away the XP bonus then it would default to a good old fashioned canned kill animation, those were fun the first 3 times you saw them.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I expect Crytek to put some of the harsher sharing/trading restrictions on Ryse, as games that are not mechanically deep/complex/compelling, but scripted rollercoaster rides, tend to be the ones finished and traded in the quickest.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/the-brutal-proactive-combat-of-ryse-son-of-rome/

Shame, was kind of hoping they'd do something that laughable. Oh well, give it a year.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So then it's basically like Amalur, but instead of just mashing one random button, you have a series of buttons?

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

So then it's basically like Amalur, but instead of just mashing one random button, you have a series of buttons?

I always hated the button mash "special kill" mechanic in Amalur.  I refer to it as "blisters for exp".

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That and it seems to occur for every kill rather than special one/moves like Amalur. I'm more inclined to let this stuff slide if it's rare and on top of good gameplay (see Bayonetta).