Lights in the sky

Woldan

First of all, I'm not an UFO fanatic, I'm not an alcoholic and I'm not aware of any brain or eye injuries that might make me see things that don't exist. Ok? Good.

So, I've regularly been seeing strange lights in the night sky, with regularly I mean when the weather was good 3-4 each night almost every night in the past 4 years (Since I moved from the city to a rural area where stars are very visible thanks to almost zero light pollution) My neighbors and friends have seem them too.
Lights? Like planes and stuff? Nope. Lights that look exactly like those less visible stars in the night sky, with the only exception that they move.

Oh yeah, thats comet, the ISS, a satellite or a piece of space junk entering earths atmosphere you doofus.
Well, last time I checked space junk, satellites and rocks couldn't stay stationary for a few minutes and then accelerate to blistering speeds pretty much instantly. Or fly turns or zig-zag maneuvers. 
That also rules out high altitude military aircraft, those g-forces would rip apart the plane and its crew if it were able to fly that kind of maneuvers. I#m talking about near-instant stops and acceleration. 

Since I believe what I'm seeing is a simple natural phenomena I'd like to hear your ideas about what you think what I'm seeing.   :shrugz:

I was thinking about car headlights reflecting on clouds or fog, but  they're way too small for headlights and whenever I saw those lights the sky was crystal-clear, this also rules out laser shows. 

Someone said I might be seeing fireflies or fluorescent bugs, but I've seen those lights in winter too. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Laser pointers? Birds at a high altitude? Drones?

Perception can be a tricky thing, particularly at night; what you think are sudden stops and starts may just be caused by the viewing angle and a lack of depth perception.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Doubt it that its a bird or a drone, whatever it is its clearly illuminated or its flying that high that it reflects the light of the sun. Birds or aircraft also could never fly maneuvers like that, the only animal that could do that would be a dragonfly. 

I once managed to take a look at one of those lights with my binoculars, the light barely got bigger with the power cranked up all the way to 16x, all I saw was a white globe, and this means the object was either VERY small or traveling at extremely high altitude.

Also the object was flickering like the surrounding stars, the flickering is caused by different pressure layers of air moving so this too indicates that it was high up there. 

True, when it stops the light could be traveling upwards and so it appears to me that it is not traveling at all but I saw some of those lights stay for a couple of minutes without getting dimmer or changing their illumination in any way which supports my assumption that they weren't  moving. 

Edited by Woldan

Lead paint in all the homes?

....I've occasionally seen weird things in the sky, but they've never seemed anything other than very high flying planes or falling stars/meteors or something. I think it's also difficult for many of us to really judge speed/distance when looking way up there. Along with possible oddball reflections or something. But if you stop posting for months or something, I'll assume you've been skyjacked .... ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Things flying straight towards you may appear "stationary" at high altitude. If you're lucky it will burn up or do a "curve ball" away from your position in case it reaches the lower atmosphere.

Well, that's (one of) Gorths "rational" explanation(s).

Edit: Not really related, but quite impressive none the less. A rare Aussie phenomena, the "fire tornado". I can understand if my ancestors might have attributed divine powers to such displays from nature.

firetornado.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Things flying straight towards you may appear "stationary" at high altitude. If you're lucky it will burn up or do a "curve ball" away from your position in case it reaches the lower atmosphere.

Well, that's (one of) Gorths "rational" explanation(s).

Edit: Not really related, but quite impressive none the less. A rare Aussie phenomena, the "fire tornado". I can understand if my ancestors might have attributed divine powers to such displays from nature.

firetornado.jpg

And this is why I won't live in Australia.

Invite some UFO watchers to your place and scam them in some fashion while they are boggling at the lights. At least you get a win out of it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Woldan are you sure someone didn't give you a small piece of paper that would have had an animal picture on it? You may have thought it was a stamp and licked it.....think back...are you sure?

:biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

God created Australia to test the faithful.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This looks like a job for Fortean Times!

...because I have no clue.  Some stuff we see probably will never have satisfactory explanations.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

:biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One cannot go against the Word of God.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just watched one with friend for ten minutes, it was bright like the Venus and jumped, turned, made quick zig-zag maneuvers and changed directions until it vanished in the horizon. NO way thats a comet bouncing off earths atmosphere.  Will-o'-the-wisps in the sky?

Edited by Woldan

That sounds pretty much like a bat being illuminated by some light source. Their flight motions can appear erratic when they're chasing bugs.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."