Xbox 720 Reveal

Up to Sony whether they have another Betamax on their hands, with the technological advantage here probably not dissimilar to the one they had back then.

What Sony really need is another Trinitron. :sorcerer:

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

From what I read, the Xbox360 division in MS never made any profit either (officially). 

Who cares anyway, the only thing that's sure is that they're dead when they go bankrupt and it makes no difference to us as gamers either way. Development teams (which is what matters, not Sony or MS) will strike out on their own, be bough or sold or die off as its always been.

Big deal.

Either way, video games are here to stay and they're never going to be reduced just to what the ipad and phone can put out.

I foresee good times for the PC.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I foresee good times for the PC.

I agree, well said my friend. " Down with all stinking consoles, lets burn them at the stake " !!!!

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lol well, I never did mind the consoles much until they ate the better part of the PC market.

But what I think will be the real downfall of this console generation is the unrealistic expectations that companies have cultivated in gamers, especially the less tech savvy ones. They expect quantum leaps in fidelity and visual pizzaz that just aren't going to happen anymore. They expect new gimmics and future tech that just isn't there.

The new generation, apart from being decent machines in the hardware department just don't have anything really new to show. There are  no new LCD/Plasma TV's to take advantage of, 3D has not and will not gain widespread acceptance. 4K is next to useless for everything but a movie theater sized screen.

The new generation is much exactly like the old generation. PC gamers of course have a more realistic view of things since all changes are slow and incremental. The only real difference over the last 13 years is that we now have better looking games and better monitors. And we (at least the realistic ones among us) don't expect anything else.

So, I think its reasonable to expect a gradual decrease in the console market and an increase in all other markets, PC among them.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

The joy of things being a service, heh.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lol well, I never did mind the consoles much until they ate the better part of the PC market.

But what I think will be the real downfall of this console generation is the unrealistic expectations that companies have cultivated in gamers, especially the less tech savvy ones. They expect quantum leaps in fidelity and visual pizzaz that just aren't going to happen anymore. They expect new gimmics and future tech that just isn't there.

The new generation, apart from being decent machines in the hardware department just don't have anything really new to show. There are  no new LCD/Plasma TV's to take advantage of, 3D has not and will not gain widespread acceptance. 4K is next to useless for everything but a movie theater sized screen.

The new generation is much exactly like the old generation. PC gamers of course have a more realistic view of things since all changes are slow and incremental. The only real difference over the last 13 years is that we now have better looking games and better monitors. And we (at least the realistic ones among us) don't expect anything else.

So, I think its reasonable to expect a gradual decrease in the console market and an increase in all other markets, PC among them.

A good post and I agree with most of it, but I would say that the next paradigm shift in PC gaming is going to be technologies like the Oculus Rift and games that support it.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Agreed, the increment size of graphical fidelity for each new generation has been steadily decreasing since the PS1 generation.  That is a trend that will continue.  There's really not that much more room to grow in that department.  Even between high end PC graphics and the last generation (PS3/360), the most noticeable difference is lighting effects.  The next big step forward, in my opinion, is virtual reality (Occulus Rift, etc.).

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And if we ditch the marketing terms Oculus rift is really a monitor and a wiimote sellotaped to your head.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but I have doubts it will ever be anything more than a niche thing even among the gaming crowd.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

And if we ditch the marketing terms Oculus rift is really a monitor and a wiimote sellotaped to your head.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but I have doubts it will ever be anything more than a niche thing even among the gaming crowd.

In its current form, I agree it likely won't set the gaming world on fire.  Still, much like with Kinect, I like what the tech could mean for the future, rather than what the product is currently.  What needs to happen is for Occulus Rift, Kinect, and projectors to have a baby and become The Holodeck.  That's what I'm waiting for.  It likely won't be in my lifetime, though.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's so funny to see console players argue and embrace the butthurt over release of their consoles. Just like some guys with cars you can see in almost every country, who are spending every day and every week repairing, fixing and adjusting them.

For a PC guy like me it tastes like...victory.

• Like 2

MzpydUh.gif

For a PC guy like me it tastes like...victory.

I hate to gloat, but you are right it does feel sweet :biggrin:

John Milton 

I don't quite follow, why does anyone care about what someone else is using as a gaming system?

Schadenfreude.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't quite follow, why does anyone care about what someone else is using as a gaming system?

We don't want to deny people true gaming excellence, thats why we care o:)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Schadenfreude.

That is totally uncalled for and utterly insulting! We are not like that.

We are just arseholes.

Edited by Cultist
  • Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

I know I don't care what anyone else uses as a gaming system.

I don't actually care what *I* use as a gaming system so long as it works and I'm playing games I like.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i already do 90% of my gaming on pc,  looks like next gen that number will be 98% (i'll get a ps4 for the exclusives, after a year or two)

no way in hell i would consider buying an xbox1.  even if it had backwards compatbility i would still pass on it because of mandatory online drm

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Schadenfreude.

That is totally uncalled for and utterly insulting! We are not like that.

We are just arseholes.

Funny  :biggrin:

John Milton 

I don't actually care what *I* use as a gaming system so long as it works and I'm playing games I like.

So you are admitting you are selfish :unsure: , where is your empathy for all the people that own consoles and are subsequently suffering?

John Milton 

So you are admitting you are selfish :unsure: , where is your empathy for all the people that own consoles and are subsequently suffering?

You mean where is my empathy for myself since I own consoles? :ermm:

"The Xbox One was revealed this weak" - Typo or intentional you think?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man