I am loving Vikings, I was wondering if our members from the Scandinavian peninsula can confirm the historical authenticity of the series? My friend was telling me that it was Ragnar Lodbrok who eventually sacked Paris and it was his brother, Rollo, who ruled in Normandy. Wikipedia seems to confirm this but other opinions are welcome as usual :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When I checked Wikipedia it looked more like Ragnar was basically the Scandinavian Hercules.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Caught the latest episode of Castle.

Heh, some amusing bits to it, and re-inforcing relationships by having Becket stood on a bomb while Castle refuses to leave and attempts to keep her spirits up.

Only now I'm having flashbacks to all the old tv sci-fi shows in the 90's that would save budget towards the end of a season from one episode to put towards some major two-parter special effects end-of-season extravaganza by having a "flashback" episode...  An excuse to basically only film a couple of characters in a small room, while large chunks of the episode are just a montage of clips from earlier in the show with various voice-overs as characters talk to each other.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It was really the death of Ragnar Hairy Trousers that escalated the Viking Age conquest of Britain, after his ship was caught on Flamborough head, Ragnar was captured by the king of Northumbria and executed. His last words were on the subject of how his little piglets would squeal when they heard of the old boars death, thus his many sons led by Guthrum and Ivar the Boneless, conquered York with a Danish great army and blood eagled the Northumbrian king. We all know the rest, Mercia falls, last of the Athelings defeated numerous times before burning cakes etcetera, etcetera.

Ganga Hrolf (travelling Rollo) would eventually force the duchy of Normandy from the Frankish kings hands, and he and his brethren would become the Normanni who became so ubiquitous in the medieval age.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Watched a few of the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett (1980's). I've known of it, just never got around to watching it. :p (if I had seen some before, it was years and years ago and I don't remember...)

Mixed feelings...on the one hand, it's fairly faithful to the stories. On the other hand ... it feels a bit dull. Not the fault of the acting, however. Holmes and Watson are great. It's just the execution of the mystery dramatization feels a bit off to me. When they switch to Sherlock's "client" POV for storytelling purposes, I feel like I'm watching History channel re-enactment segments, if that makes sense. Still....certainly one of the better Sherlock/Watson depictions.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been watching Fringe.  I watched a few episodes when it first came out but quickly lost track.  Now that it has a good chunk of shows available to stream, I'm enjoying it.  

The first three seasons are quite good and interconnected. The 4th doesn't quite hold up as much, and the 5th while quite interesting in what they try to do and entertaining in it's way, doesn't quite seem to hold up to the promise of the first few seasons.

Edit: Of course, I might have picked that up because I pretty much watched it enmasse when I had seasons 3, 4, and 5 all together over the course of basically one long weekend and bank holiday...:shifty:

Oh, LadyCrimson, if you're watching that Sherlock series, keep your eyes out..  Jude Law turns up as a young boy in pretty much one of his first acting gigs if I recall correctly. ;)

Edited by Raithe

Oh, LadyCrimson, if you're watching that Sherlock series, keep your eyes out..  Jude Law turns up as a young boy in pretty much one of his first acting gigs if I recall correctly. ;)

Oh? That's interesting/amusing. I wonder which episode...I'll have to look it up, thanks.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Re-watching Tour of Duty, not a bad show even if the writing is by the numbers in some cases.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fringe has a clicking point midway through season one, where it goes from being an x-files knockoff to something more individual. And I agree with Raithe, season four is a bit off, and I still haven't managed to make it past episode three of season five.

Has anyone been watching Arrow? Is it any good?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Arrow is a CW version of the Nolan Batman films. So angsty drama combined with a gritty take on Green Arrow. I'm enjoying it.

Also, if you can get passed a certain characters death in season 5 of Fringe, it really picks up and ends the series nicely.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

I saw the conclusion of the first season of The Following earlier. It looks like they've basically removed everything I like about the show and made the parts I didn't like even more important to the next season. God damn it. There were a lot of good performances though especially between Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, I hope Kevin sticks to television because he makes a terrific leading actor.

Re-watching Tour of Duty, not a bad show even if the writing is by the numbers in some cases.

I've been meaning to rewatch those, I know I enjoyed them as a little guy but about the only thing I can remember about them now is 'Paint it Black' and that Sergeant Zeke was in St Elsewhere (because my mum mentioned it every single episode).

Might be time to see if I can find them, and Homicide: LotS for that matter.

I'm relieved to know that America at least still thinks shows like "Ready For Love" are garbage, causing such low ratings that it was cancelled in 3 episodes and replaced with Grimm.

It'll be interesting to see how Grimm fares in that day/time slot vs. Friday. I liked Grimm at first but haven't kept up with it this year.

Using Netflix to watch the 1st season of Law and Order. I'm not sure I've ever seen those, doesn't seem familiar. I've only seen the Law and Orders in reruns/syndication so the 1st couple season aren't something they play much anymore...kinda interesting. Michael Moriarty is rather awesome. As usual I struggled to remember what else he was in and then remembered Pale Rider, one of my fave 80's Eastwood movies. Heh.

Thanks for the tip. I had never even heard of this series and its exactly what I enjoy :)

:)

It ended up being too slow for me, but what I watched, definitely had some moments. It's possible a 2nd season (which I think is forthcoming) could improve it.

I ended up  watching the whole first season of Hemlock Grove, I thought it was very entertaining. So once again thanks for the tip :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hm, I've realised I've probably got about 30 hours of tv saved to catch up on at some point..   I really should make the effort to catch a few episodes rather then letting it pile up in that manner.

Revolution has finally... finally, almost become interesting. Zzz...

Still enjoying Orphan Black quite a bit; even more than Arrow. I hope they pick it up for a second season.

Fringe was great, even when watching a replay. I really miss that show. Defiance doesn't really fill the void. Probably the Walking Dead comes closest.

Vikings, on the history channel, is like a drug fix. Can't stop watching it.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I've been meaning to rewatch those, I know I enjoyed them as a little guy but about the only thing I can remember about them now is 'Paint it Black' and that Sergeant Zeke was in St Elsewhere (because my mum mentioned it every single episode).

Might be time to see if I can find them, and Homicide: LotS for that matter.

I found a bunch of episodes here on Youtube, sadly for the DVD release or something they lost the rights to all the period music they used - so no Paint it Black in the intro and alot of the music in the episodes is replaced by some generic riffing.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Been watching a bit of a japanese tv show. Boss 2. A special police "countermeasures unit" that's really the "reject squad" of talented people with serious flaws in some form...

It always amuses me with jdoramas how they can flip from being quite serious acting one moment and then flip to wildly overblown over-acting and back again. That, and how often the leading characters are the totally inappropriate wild cards that are never supposed to succeed in the straight laced heirarchy of japanese society. Balancing genius of some form with complete social dumb-assery half the other time..

Caught up on 2nd season of Grimm now. We had watched the 1st season and then I stopped paying attention a couple episodes into the 2nd. I like the new developments, feels like the show is smoothing out more ... although there's still some moments of cheese or stupidity that I don't like ... but any character/plot turn that gives Captain Sean Renard (Sasha Roiz) a bit more air time is ok by me. :dancing:

I hope it survives another season or two. Don't think it has much more in it than that, but I'd like to know more about a couple plot lines....

I'm liking Game Of Thrones this year, and I really don't care about them streamlining some of it for television, but couldn't you have had

Jamie killing the bear?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Couldn't have that, not after the outcry about Ned giving Lady the chop in S1- apparently more people complained about that than Ned himself...

Though in the above case it was probably because it'd be difficult to do well more than anything.

Sitting down for lunch and feeling like something a little silly, so I'm watching some Hanazakari no Kimi Tachi.

A truly oddball japanese series about a girl who pretends to be a boy to get into an all boys school so she can help a guy get back on track. Because she feels to blame that he got injured saving her life..  It's.. a little more convoluted then that, but there's a lot of bizarre elements to it.

So does anyone else just not give a damn about Clara on Dr Who? I find Matt Smith isn't as interesting without Amy and Rory to play off either.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So does anyone else just not give a damn about Clara on Dr Who? I find Matt Smith isn't as interesting without Amy and Rory to play off either.

I simply shout foul mouthed abuse at Dr Who these days. I'm listening to the BBC's radio version of The Jungle Book, and it's hard to conceive a greater contrast in 'childrens' stories.

rantrantrant.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.