What's going on in Boston?

Blarghagh

I'm not sure I'd be so cavalier about describing Serbia as having no Muslims, Drowsy. Even if it were true it wouldn't be because someone was frying bacon, in the nineties.

On the subject of Chechnya, I'd remind those old enough that back in the day, Jihadis said Chechnya was proof that there was a Christian conspiracy against Muslims. Because - so they said - we should have sent in troops to support them against Russian oppression. Then of course using troops to liberate Muslims later was used by the exact same ideologues to 'prove' we were out to dominate and control Muslims.

This is why I have zero time for people who say foreign policy is the problem. The bastards are just as creative with truth as they are with wire and ammonia.

There are muslims in certain parts of Serbia, but they're not Serbs. They declare themselves as Bosniaks/Bosnians/of bosnian muslim origin and consider themselves a separate nation. Serbian nationality is tied to being Orthodox Chrisian, or at the very least an atheist/agnostic.

This is so hilariously fascist I wish I had the energy to troll the **** out of it.

Edit: to be somewhat less of a ****, I'm constantly amazed how for such an apparently smart guy you can both be so blind to your own bias and so full of nationalist serb propaganda.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm not sure I'd be so cavalier about describing Serbia as having no Muslims, Drowsy. Even if it were true it wouldn't be because someone was frying bacon, in the nineties.

On the subject of Chechnya, I'd remind those old enough that back in the day, Jihadis said Chechnya was proof that there was a Christian conspiracy against Muslims. Because - so they said - we should have sent in troops to support them against Russian oppression. Then of course using troops to liberate Muslims later was used by the exact same ideologues to 'prove' we were out to dominate and control Muslims.

This is why I have zero time for people who say foreign policy is the problem. The bastards are just as creative with truth as they are with wire and ammonia.

There are muslims in certain parts of Serbia, but they're not Serbs. They declare themselves as Bosniaks/Bosnians/of bosnian muslim origin and consider themselves a separate nation. Serbian nationality is tied to being Orthodox Chrisian, or at the very least an atheist/agnostic.

This is so hilariously fascist I wish I had the energy to troll the **** out of it.

Edit: to be somewhat less of a ****, I'm constantly amazed how for such an apparently smart guy you can both be so blind to your own bias and so full of nationalist serb propaganda.

Nothing fascist about it - that's exactly what they would say to you if you asked them what nationality they are - even if they actually have a Serbian citizenship. Ask any muslim from former Yugoslavia if they're a Serb and I'll rather enjoy hearing what they tell you.

Everyone who meets the conditions under the law can get the citizenship - and is free to declare their nationality. If they do (declare themselves a Serbian), even if they are of another religion they're likely to be welcomed with open arms as much as the next man. I'm not any more likely to discriminate against them than anyone else is. Its just that that's not what usually happens.

The Serbian identity was formed by clinging to orthodox christian faith to escape assimilation during a very long and agonizing period of muslim, Turkish occupation. Its simply what the historical events are. The musims were the occupier = enemy and any Serb who became a muslim by extension, became a part of the occupying forces.

Its not a little fascist club of "blut und boden" - it was literally hold to your faith and survive or assimilate and disappear

That's why the nationality and religious denomination are hard/impossible to separate.

Which part of that don't you understand?

PS: obviously there are some middle eastern nationals (or from other parts of the world) living and working in Serbia, just like everyone else. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Is Glenn Beck possibly talking about Abdulrahman Ali Alharbi? A Saudi National who was given passage out of the country shortly after the bombings and soon after Obama met with Saudi officials.

Also worth noting that the elder brother who's now dead had been investigated by the FBI in relation to being a suspect in terrorism during 2011. Considering the "methods" the FBI has used in the past to capture terrorism "suspects" before they commit terrorist acts. Like providing all the materials to commit such acts in what closely resembles entrapment.

There is also the matter of what evidence they had to suspect the Tsarnaev brothers, if its only video of them being at the Boston marathon with bags then one could easily point out other more suspicious individuals, some of which are speculated to be related private contractors.

Is likely that we are not going to get all the answers in this case, that these questions will be dismissed as conspiracy theory and that the case will never see a day in open court.

On the other hand it is a rare day when I agree with Glenn Beck.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Nothing fascist about it - that's exactly what they would say to you if you asked them what nationality they are - even if they actually have a Serbian citizenship. Ask any muslim from former Yugoslavia if they're a Serb and I'll rather enjoy hearing what they tell you.

Everyone who meets the conditions under the law can get the citizenship - and is free to declare their nationality. If they do (declare themselves a Serbian), even if they are of another religion they're likely to be welcomed with open arms as much as the next man. I'm not any more likely to discriminate against them than anyone else is. Its just that that's not what usually happens.

The Serbian identity was formed by clinging to orthodox christian faith to escape assimilation during a very long and agonizing period of muslim, Turkish occupation. Its simply what the historical events are. The musims were the occupier = enemy and any Serb who became a muslim by extension, became a part of the occupying forces.

Its not a little fascist club of "blut und boden" - it was literally hold to your faith and survive or assimilate and disappear

That's why the nationality and religious denomination are hard/impossible to separate.

PS: obviously there are some middle eastern nationals (or from other parts of the world) living and working in Serbia, just like everyone else.

See, now that's more like it. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Russian member of spetznas wondering how unprofessional SWAT are.

http://hardingush.livejournal.com/73169.html

Amazingly, the FBI SWAT acts as if they are at all involved in the raid for the first time. Nobody covers, no one controls the sector.  Oops, closed! Wander around, looked around the corner. They don't knows what to do here ... It is clear that they do not expect that from the next house will be opened firing on them. Of course they are not thinking about trying to deblocking the house.  We do not know what to do. We are a crowd of armed men dressed in beautiful shape and bulletproof vests.

http://youtu.be/dhUQ5ONxYFc

The Russians would have just evacuated a couple of neighbourhoods, then proceeded to bomb them.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Wonderful, another shooter on the grassy knoll for conspiracy nuts to play with.  

So these two innocent brothers just happened to be carrying multiple backpacks around the Boston Marathon, then when the police released images of them, they decided to go on a crime spree?  

Not everything is a cover up.

There's never a shortage of dumb people in the US

There's plenty of dumb people everywhere. It's just that in the US they have access to social media, Fox news, high proof alcohol, wheeled vehicles, and automatic weapons.

Czech Republic's ambassador 'concerned' by Americans confusing his country with Chechnya.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Elite of "Murican police

1366416193_2.jpg

NY LEO with his EOTech mounted to his rifle backwards. It's a really scary pic. lol

This is a SWAT guy. And this pic means that he's most likely never trained with this rifle in its current configuration, and he's aiming the rifle at people

1363680995_003.jpg

I know nothing about guns, but isn't it possible US guns could have a reason for it looking to be on backwards, even if it isn't?

Not to mention, it's the internet. These days I hardly trust any photo. Which is an annoying side-effect of photoshop-in-every-hand, actually. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Everything about this is so stereotypically Chechen "freedom fighting" all the way down to parents claiming their son was set up. At least you don't have our Russian brand of self loathing liberals defending this brainwashed idiot tooth and nail.

Edited by Fighter

Elite of "Murican police

1366416193_2.jpg

NY LEO with his EOTech mounted to his rifle backwards. It's a really scary pic. lol

This is a SWAT guy. And this pic means that he's most likely never trained with this rifle in its current configuration, and he's aiming the rifle at people

1363680995_003.jpg

Hm, looking at the shade on the bit facing the muzzle, it looks like it's on ok. Don't know what's with the fancy camo on the rifle.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ahh, duh. The shade I'm seeing is his brow in the background. Well, I stand corrected

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm pretty sure you can find random pics of just about anything on the internet.  But it speaks volumes about Oby that he feels the need to do so.

He also doesn't seem to have any clue what SWAT is and how they vary from state to state and even town to town.

Ridiculously patient response to an inflammatory post. Well done.
  • Like 1

I agree, Chechen fighters were accusing the West of doing nothing to help the plight of the Chechen people. Also if the USA was actively helping the Chechens against the Russians and this was known the Russians would have raised this at the UN and made it very obvious. The war in Chechnya lasted nearly 20 years so why not bring it to the attention of the international community. I don't buy the story at all that the USA was supporting the Chechen's against the Russians, its factually incorrect

There was some indirect help from the US aligned- Misha's Georgia wasn't particularly keen on shifting some Chechen camps from its territory, the usual suspects for supporting muslim radicalism supplied the Chechens with weapons, and the US press was... somewhat partisan, and less understanding with regards to the Russian approach to Grozny than it was to the US's very similar approach to Fallujah a decade later. But what won the Chechens round 1 was Russian stupidity coupled to their general unity- not any outside support- what lost them round 2 was that by that point there was no Chechen unity, and a far more effective Russian approach. When it comes right down to it the US actually used the Russian's MKII approach to stabilise (well, 'stabilise') things in Iraq by buying off the locals that could be bought to help fight the ones that couldn't. The pipeline is a bit ironic as well, since as much as there are people convinced that the Chechen/ SC problems are sponsored to effect the northern pipeline there were also people convinced that the War of South Ossetian Liberation was all about the Russkies blowing up the new Baku pipeline.

As for the two suspects, at this point it's pretty pointless speculating about their motivations and how much their ethnicity and background played into things. The Caucasus would certainly not be the best place to grow up, but they also had a decade in the US which is overall a very good place to grow up.

They clearly became radicalized in the US, which definitely speaks to a larger problem that needs to be addressed.  Although I think the religion is more of an excuse for the behavior of the sociopathic older brother.  He seemed to have much larger issues and was using his religion as an outlet for his anger.  

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Ridiculously patient response to an inflammatory post. Well done.

Sometimes a detailed response is important, you don't necessarily do it so you can "win" a debate but you can inform or rather give another perspective to other people following the discussion.

I learnt something about Serbia from this discussion

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have to be patient with Nepenthe because he's a lawyer and they need ten pages and everything in triplicate just to say hello.

• Like 5

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm pretty sure you can find random pics of just about anything on the internet.  But it speaks volumes about Oby that he feels the need to do so.

He also doesn't seem to have any clue about anything.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That's why I always appreciate and respect Drowsy Boo as a member of this community, even when I greatly disagree with his opinions.  

Agreed, I enjoy and value most of the debates we have on these forums. We aren't going to agree all the time but I have had my opinion changed before just because of the  way people have explained a certain point :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Russian member of spetznas wondering how unprofessional SWAT are.

http://hardingush.livejournal.com/73169.html

Amazingly, the FBI SWAT acts as if they are at all involved in the raid for the first time. Nobody covers, no one controls the sector.  Oops, closed! Wander around, looked around the corner. They don't knows what to do here ... It is clear that they do not expect that from the next house will be opened firing on them. Of course they are not thinking about trying to deblocking the house.  We do not know what to do. We are a crowd of armed men dressed in beautiful shape and bulletproof vests.

http://youtu.be/dhUQ5ONxYFc

The Russians would have just evacuated a couple of neighbourhoods, then proceeded to bomb them.

T-72s and a nasty little thing called the RPO-A "Bumble-bee"  on a gymnasium filled with women and children more like.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling