A spiritual succesor to Neverwinter Nights?

Chaz

When people talk about great RPGs you always hear about Baldurs Gate, Torment or Fallout, but what about NWN? That was probably the first game that made me feel the power was in my hands with the Toolset and the Dungeon Master Client. It was a game that allowed you to create your own persistant world where you could invite your friends and do whatever you wanted to do.

I haven't seen a game like that before and sadly I haven't seen a game like that since, probably because it was more profitable for developers to charge for DLC and Micro Transactions than allowing players to create, host and manage their own content. Watching some videos of Dungeonland reminded me of how fun was to play with the DM client, it was the closest experience of playing tabletop but with all the commodities sitting in front of your PC playing a video game.

Now that developers have kickstarter as an alternative way to fund their game, I wonder if anyone would be interested in making a game like that, Obsidian worked on NWN2, I bet they have their hands full with the current project but I would love to see them do it and they don't even have to bother getting a licence from WotC, they could use their own IP.

The reason why noone asks for NWN its because it was a poor game. The game editor is the thing most people fondly remember when they talk about NWN, and if you pay attention to various kickstarters you see that game editors are always high in peoples demands. Shadowrun Returns will have such an editor. Maybe other games too.

The reason why noone asks for NWN its because it was a poor game. The game editor is the thing most people fondly remember when they talk about NWN, and if you pay attention to various kickstarters you see that game editors are always high in peoples demands. Shadowrun Returns will have such an editor. Maybe other games too.

Sorry I disagree, you can NWN wasn't one of the greatest RPG but to say it was a poor game is just an exaggeration.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Fair enough. But the NWN OC was more of a way to show what can be done with the editor than an interesting campain in its own right. For many is the weakest game Bioware has made.(pre-DA2)

Edited by Malekith

Supplying editors, DM sets, persistent multiplayer, etc. as NWN did is extremely ambitious and requires a lot of money and work. NWN1 did those things very very well, but it's going to be difficult to see another game provide those things, especially since NWN1 did all that by only selling box copies and not subscriptions. I can imagine publishers giving it a go-ahead if there was a robust microtransaction model, but (1) that sounds crap for the consumer, and (2) D&D license itself is very hard to get at the moment for various weird reasons.

Fair enough. But the NWN OC was more of a way to show what can be done with the editor than an interesting campain in its own right. For many is the weakest game Bioware has made.(pre-DA2)

NWN holds a special place in my heart as one of the only games I can't really discuss without slipping into an incomprehensible rant. Which is why this will be brief. Dragon Age 2 has far more redeeming qualities in my eyes.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

NWN's point clearly wasn't the OC, but that's always all that people talk about when the game is mentioned. Almost a pet peeve of mine. The real failure of the game if probably that it was too hard or too much work for most people to play in the traditional tabletop GM and players style, but despite this failure a lot of good came out of it. 3rd party single player and coop modules and the persistent worlds. Easily the best BioWare game overall because of this. DA:O might have had something similar if they had put more support on the toolset and not rushed to make DA2. I tried some of the modules early on, but gave up in disgust when it was mostly derp roads.

Personally I like NWN2 better mainly because 3.5 rules and some other minor improvements like that and the terrain system making the world less blocky. Tools were harder to use, which was both a blessing and a curse. Less modules, but also less bad modules to wade through to find the real gems, or that how it felt like to me.

I'm excited about Shadowrun Returns anyways because I love Shadowrun and the editor is cherry on top.

SODOFF Steam group.

(2) D&D license itself is very hard to get at the moment for various weird reasons.

Not sure about that- the problem may be that nobody wants it and Hasbro isn't willing to fund games themselves. They did say the Planescape setting was available for licensing recently, and that at least implies D&D as well.

"The reason why noone asks for NWN its because it was a poor game"

Actually, lots of people ask for and about NWN. It's a really popular game still played by a number of people.

It's also getting a 'spiritual successor'. It's called Neverwinter and is going to have a toolset as well. Too bad it's gonna really suck.

NWN is the ebst RPG of all time. This is undisputable. Anyone who disagrees is simply wrong. The OC is better than people give it credit for as well. Certainbly better than BG and that rip off KOTOR for darn sure.

LONG LIVE NWN DEATH TO ALL OTHER GAMES!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN actually was the game that turned me off and away from RPGs for a time. In many ways I'm glad because it allowed me to do other stuff.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"The reason why noone asks for NWN its because it was a poor game"

Actually, lots of people ask for and about NWN. It's a really popular game still played by a number of people.

It's also getting a 'spiritual successor'. It's called Neverwinter and is going to have a toolset as well. Too bad it's gonna really suck.

NWN is the ebst RPG of all time. This is undisputable. Anyone who disagrees is simply wrong. The OC is better than people give it credit for as well. Certainbly better than BG and that rip off KOTOR for darn sure.

LONG LIVE NWN DEATH TO ALL OTHER GAMES!!!

For being undisputable, it sure is disputed a lot, by a lot of people. It was a decent game, but it was more of a good set of tools for others to create their own game. The OC = the game for most people. Hordes of the Underdark was by far better than the OC, but much as NWN2 is judged by its OC rather than Mask of the Betrayer, NWN is judged by its OC, which was average at best. Some of the mods were pretty good, I personally liked the Paladin series... before the dude got hired by Bioware and never finished it.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"For being undisputable, it sure is disputed a lot, by a lot of people."

Your definitiion of 'people' is in question. :)

Not to mention undisputable. *I* decide what the best games are. Nobody else.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

Well in my case NWN is one of my favorites RPGs of all time and I didn't even play the OC, the first time I grabbed the game was to play a PW, as time went on i played different PWs and met a lot of people, that was my experience with the game and no other game since has offered something similar, I've been a player, a DM, I designed dungeons, towns, monsters, etc.

Would love to do that again, maybe with kickstarter there is a chance to see a game like that in the future

That is the heart of the matter. For people who used the editor, played online and the modules NWN is the perfect RPG as it comes the closest to emulate P&P. For the others OC=NWN and it was lackluster at best.The two groups played a completelly different game

• Like 1

Wasn't Dragon Age this?

I've done a fair amount of building using the NWN2 toolset, but I was open to switching to the DA tools. Up until I played the game... then I went back to NWN2. DA just seemed to lack a lot of the flavor that comes with the D&D system in NWN2, and the benefits of newer technology didn't make up for it.

I had heard that there was a project underway to port BG2 to DA. I'm not sure if that is still in the works (other than the release of Irenicus' dungeon). They've got their work cut out for them.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Nobody is gonna port BG2 into DA. The same silliness was talked about NWN as well. Porting BG2 into it. BG2 is too alrge of a game to waste time putting into another engine. Not unless it was a professionally paid for team. Not private yahoos.

"For the others OC=NWN and it was lackluster at best."

Lots of people have stated quitye clearly they like NWN OC. Don't speak for others.

"The two groups played a completelly different game"

Nope.

Yes.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'd say yes also.  NWN with toolset and using that to play modules was out of this world stellar.  Awesomests ideas ever.  Closest anything came to it after was NWN2 with it's toolset.  Haven't seen anything since that can come close.

As for the OC of NWN...it wasn't bad...but it's nothing I'd write home and brag about.