SW: The Old Republic Part 5

I made the switch to a lightning spec and am back to using Xalek again. He still dies pretty fast but I can usually kill things fast enough for that not to be a problem but I'm working on upgrading all his gear with more defense, shield, and absorption. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

Don't tell me, the "Double XP" **** is back again, this time also pestering us outside the weekends! >_

*RaarrrrgghhhH!* (Scream of frustration)

That seriously sucks. Noticed in the middle of a space mission that it was suddenly raining XP. Why do they keep punishing us? :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't mind it right now since I'm playing my 55 Sorc and can use the legacy XP but this game gives XP way too freely. I wanted to start my new Sniper but I don't want to out level all the content which usually happens anyway even without the boost just by being a semi-completionist. 

I feel like they are trying to make leveling too fast so they can sell you an item to slow it down like Turbine did with LOTRO

Don't tell me, the "Double XP" **** is back again, this time also pestering us outside the weekends! >_<

*RaarrrrgghhhH!* (Scream of frustration)

That seriously sucks. Noticed in the middle of a space mission that it was suddenly raining XP. Why do they keep punishing us? :(

Well the important thing is that I am happy. I've been levelling six characters from scratch and if it hadn't been for the three double xp weekends I wouldn't have had the stamina to go on with my extreamly unwise "I'll do a planet at a time with all six characters so I can get the most out of crafting" routine.

Personally I love the double xp. Doing one planet thoroughly means I can pretty much do class quests on the next two, and have levels line up after that (I also have constant xp boost on).

I would have hated it the first time through the game on either faction, but after that the planet side quests aren't interesting enough that I mind skipping them.

Well the important thing is that I am happy.

Your happiness is completely irrelevant :p

@Spider: For me, it is the first time through. You can't really do much without getting buried under piles of XP and you have no chance of trying to keep your gear up to speed. Seriously, stuff like that needs to be optional, tick a box if you want to take the shortcuts, leave it unticked if wanting to play the game "normally".

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Spider: For me, it is the first time through. You can't really do much without getting buried under piles of XP and you have no chance of trying to keep your gear up to speed. Seriously, stuff like that needs to be optional, tick a box if you want to take the shortcuts, leave it unticked if wanting to play the game "normally".

Dude, you know this doesn't matter till end game. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Not really :(

Never been there, was just enjoying playing my characters through the story, the planets, collecting companions etc. Flashpoints being great fun most of the time and rarely doing the PVP thing (my least favourite part). When my Warzone commendations ran full, I just swapped it all for an inventory full of little credit cases :rolleyes:

In short, for me, it's an unwanted inconvenience, end-game not being a goal (I'll probably retire my characters if/when they get there).

• Like 1

Guest Slinky

Haha, well, you shouldnt worry about up to date gear while leveling. Really, depending on your class leveling is either easy or laughable easy. I've seen people to get to max level without even taking advanced class or using 20 or more levels lower gear.

Also, you sunday gamers are in my way on double xp days when I'm power leveling a new toon for end game :p

The XP weekend is best to skip hated planets (Tatooine, Hoth). Aside from that, yeah, not much use...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I know I'm not the average mmo gamer because I also don't care much for max level play but I'm enjoying it right now because I still have some story left to uncover but I usually lose interest pretty quickly with the end game stuff. I actually enjoy trying to keep my gear up to date as I level so that probably puts me into an even smaller category than the one I'm already in

So, playing Bounty Hunter, just finished the Tatooine storyline for my character.

And I have to say, that was the dumbest bull**** I ever seen in a (BioWare) game. Whoever thought that was a good storyplotpoint, should be fired.

EDIT: Also, based on a recent mail, they seem to steal Mira's look soon for TOR. I hope Obs gets paid a bit for their art being used on the CC-market.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Actually, ever since they combined the planetary commendations into one pool, this really isn't a hassle to keep gear up, you just go to fleet every other planet and pick up the assorted gear mods from planet y instead of planet x that you happen to be on/just completed.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The BH seemed to have some good ideas, but the execution kept falling through. Or railroading you along really silly routes.

Although I guess there could be a fault to how they had to change it. As I recall, a lot of the storylines were originally written so that companions wouldn't automatically default to joining you. So it would be possible to turn them down or kill them or some such. But for various reasons during the beta period that got hammered out because people might get stressed over accidentally losing a companion when they didn't mean to, and since it's not like a save and reload environment..

IIRC there ended up being feedback regarding players "gimping" themselves because a lot of potential companions used to be killable, but in doing that you lost a potential crew skill and the like.

I think it kind of stands out with Galt. You can go through the storyline up to that point as the whole, big, bad, professional Bounty Hunter with a code. You take your target, you don't get swayed, you capture/kill as the contract states and you don't break your word. They run through Tattooine pretty much laying the groundwork for you to be fairly irritated with his character and wanting to put a blaster bolt between his eyes.. run you up to that moment and boom.

Suddenly you're faking his death, letting him be a crew member and ignoring the code you've been living by up to that point.

Plus, he's a fairly annoying character as is.

• Like 1

Guest Slinky

It was a bad story decision, I know two players that stopped playing over it.

I will probably never ever understand people who play swtor for its story.

To me it's like eating at mcdonalds for their excellent culinary qualities :p

It was a bad story decision, I know two players that stopped playing over it.

To me it's like eating at mcdonalds for their excellent culinary qualities :p

That's really the only reason to play it in my eyes.  There are plenty of MMO's that do everything else better.

And really, much of the time I find myself enjoying the dialogue and plot progression.  But there are some glaring missteps. 

• Like 3

EDIT: Also, based on a recent mail, they seem to steal Mira's look soon for TOR. I hope Obs gets paid a bit for their art being used on the CC-market.

I actually thought Obsidian did a good job of capturing the look of the original Mira voice actress (as in not so much designed her as just made her look like the flesh and blood counterpart).

I don't really use planetary commendations much anymore, since my characters, between cybertech and artifice can manufacture most mods up to prototype quality, some up to artifact quality. Challenge is to keep my raw material storage restocked. That's where GTN is handy when you can't be bothered to look up some level 1 or 2 resource.

Commendations mostly gets used on "frivolities" like artifact cases etc. Sometimes it's less useful, sometimes you get pleasant surprises.

My main guy having custom armour (the "Burner" armour from the big Hutt merchant, it sort of suited a guy whose main weapon is a flame thrower) means I do every now and then buy some mods, but it's not a regular occurrence. Played a number of flashpoints over the weekend and now have my characters waiting around on the space station(s) to claim their rewards when the XP gets back to normal.

Edit: Yes, the "Gault" story line was just too contrived and the character not the kind I would tolerate on a ship, especially if I had to leave it with the keys in the ignition every now and then. Only one I found worse is Kaliyo, and you seem to be stuck with her for a *very* long time in the Agent story line :(

Edit2: Just to put a positive counterpoint, not having seen more than a third of the available (if even that) companions, my favourites so far has to be Aric and Elara (both trooper companions) :)

I didn't realise what the commendations were for until the mid-30s, by which time my free month was just about gone. So, uh, I guess if I ever came back I could actually spend them on useful stuff now, yay.

Aside, if I was properly roleplaying my smuggler and had the ability to, I'd probably have taken no companions along with me. Unless the generic droid counts. I'd probably have considered recruitable droid-substitutes for any NPCs you kill or otherwise spurn to be an acceptable compromise (as opposed to rebalancing the game around solo play).

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Have you played marauder Hassat? If you think the BH thing is dumb...

I have a level 50 Sith Maurader yes.

Which I regret, since the gameplay of the Sith Warrior is about as fun as stabbing yourself.

It's also been a while, so could you remind me (in spoiler tags probably)...?

They run through Tattooine pretty much laying the groundwork for you to be fairly irritated with his character and wanting to put a blaster bolt between his eyes.

This mostly. If it's a decision forced, don't spend all this time just making yourself love to kill him. And wanting to finally pull that trigger. It's like Malgus suddenly joins you when you loose Bastila. 

It's the only MMORPG I play (and can stand). Guess why? Well, okay, maybe Star Wars helps too XD 

I actually thought Obsidian did a good job of capturing the look of the original Mira voice actress (as in not so much designed her as just made her look like the flesh and blood counterpart).

Well, I was more talking about the outfit ;).

^