What you did today

Gorth

S'yeah, my boss, who asked me to stay on last monday, is now threatening to fire me unless my workrate improves. Also accuses me of lying. And I just canceled my application for that dream job... *sigh*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

S'yeah, my boss, who asked me to stay on last monday, is now threatening to fire me unless my workrate improves. Also accuses me of lying. And I just canceled my application for that dream job... *sigh*

I hope it all works out, man.

Am alone in the office, so time to sing Saxon poorly and loudly while I work on this SQL.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Am watching "Inside the Actors Studio" with Liam Neeson. Dat man. :wub:

Wondering if he's an ex-smoker because he always has a toothpick to chew on, heh.

Edit: "What sound do you love?" ... "Bird song."

"What sound do you hate?" ... "Gotta be leaf blowers." (yes!)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I hope it all works out, man.

Doesn't look like it. I mean, even if they have second thoughts, they've been willing to accuse me of some pretty terrible things on no evidence at all. Obviously, I have no future here and have to start shooting application again. Anyone need a lawyer? Or a former barista? :p

Edit: ok, only reading the news now. Horrible.

Edited by Nepenthe

If I understand correctly : Female Lawyers. That is never a good combination...

How so? Do you have a rational, evidence-based reason (studies, statistics, etc.) or are you just a misogynist?

He was making a joke. Do you have a rational, evidence-based sense of humour (sarcasm, wit, etc.), or are you just an aspie?

Sure, a misogynistic joke.

But I'm really impressed by your calling anyone who doesn't share your sense of "humor" an "aspie." You are a true visionary, and a shining example of the wit you profess the joke to embody. It's amazing how bitingly clever you are, because using autism as an insult has not been a standard on 4chan for 5+ years. When your reply contains the word "butthurt" I'm sure everybody here will double over, gasping for breath, until they finally choke to death on their own phlegm and bile due to the sheer force of their heaving, breathless laughter. Your razor sharp wit and originality will go down in history for being the first ever human to use "aspie" as an insult. And the strawman! What a tour de force! It's like you really understand socratic thought! Bravo, sir. BRAVO.

Edited by AGX-17

The female lawyer joke was that offensive ? Right. Also, you're trying too hard.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Doesn't look like it. I mean, even if they have second thoughts, they've been willing to accuse me of some pretty terrible things on no evidence at all. Obviously, I have no future here and have to start shooting application again. Anyone need a lawyer? Or a former barista? :p

Hm, I don't suppose there's any point in talking to the HR people about "hostile working environment" then? Because that's certainly what it sounds like...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hm, I don't suppose there's any point in talking to the HR people about "hostile working environment" then? Because that's certainly what it sounds like...

On my list, but frankly, the issue is that I'm on a contract and it's running out. They can **** me over as much as they want because of it by just not continuing it as we'd agreed. Technically, breach of contract, but impossible to prove. I'd just get branded "trouble maker" in addition to "dishonest", not that it really matters.

The real question is, why didn't you try for that Dream job? :(

Because it was another temporary contract, no chance of continuation and I wasn't feeling up to learning a new job from scratch. Also the person I'm standing in for has a serious illness in the family and is continuing her leave of absence because of it - they asked me to continue, and I didn't want to feel them hanging or haivng to train somebody new for it for a couple of months... Do I feel foolish now!

Edited by Nepenthe

Yeah I know what it's like to have to reconcile selfish desires with those nosy conscience rattles.

I don't hold it against you, but I do encourage Mr. Nepenthe to still make decisions that look out for #1 :) I find my bigger "regrets" in life are the times I sacrificed my own interests for someone else's, only to find out that that someone else was ultimately not deserving of such a sacrifice.

I typically prefer proactive choice, because while it's a risk for me to disrupt my status quo (and the security that that provides), I have since learned (and it required me to get burned by "being the nice guy" a few times) that I am ultimately more satisfied making an active choice to pursue something that I want and failing, rather than feeling secure wondering "what if?"

Though we're all different, and I'm also single with no dependents so it's easy for me to make decisions that only affect myself.

In any case, I hope another Dream Job swings by your neck of the woods.

Anyone need a lawyer? Or a former barista? :p

I could use a barista.

So could Australia. Impossible to get a decent Irish Coffee anywhere. Fancy, expensive hotels in Sydney? Hah, what a joke. Some of the most piss poor excuses for Irish Coffee I've ever had.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On my list, but frankly, the issue is that I'm on a contract and it's running out. They can **** me over as much as they want because of it by just not continuing it as we'd agreed. Technically, breach of contract, but impossible to prove. I'd just get branded "trouble maker" in addition to "dishonest", not that it really matters.

The real question is, why didn't you try for that Dream job? :(

Because it was another temporary contract, no chance of continuation and I wasn't feeling up to learning a new job from scratch. Also the person I'm standing in for has a serious illness in the family and is continuing her leave of absence because of it - they asked me to continue, and I didn't want to feel them hanging or haivng to train somebody new for it for a couple of months... Do I feel foolish now!

I know that feel. I've been on contracts for the last two years. Luckily, my employer has chosen to extend them so I've been at the same place , and just last week I got an extension for another year 'till December 31st 2013. Nothing is certain beyond that. I have to work my ass off to feel safe, make myself useful. Working overtime? You bet. Getting **** assignments? You bet. No complaining? You bet (at first), but I tell them what's on my mind now. Don't know what to expect the next day after I've given them my opinions when I disagree on something. I will have to admit that they've been good to me, despite all of that, and I do love my job, so I'm still very, very grateful to them. On the other hand, had I been unlucky, I could have been in your position. That thought is not pleasant, and I know it could still happen to me.

Guest The Architect
Sure, a misogynistic joke.

But I'm really impressed by your calling anyone who doesn't share your sense of "humor" an "aspie." You are a true visionary, and a shining example of the wit you profess the joke to embody. It's amazing how bitingly clever you are, because using autism as an insult has not been a standard on 4chan for 5+ years. When your reply contains the word "butthurt" I'm sure everybody here will double over, gasping for breath, until they finally choke to death on their own phlegm and bile due to the sheer force of their heaving, breathless laughter. Your razor sharp wit and originality will go down in history for being the first ever human to use "aspie" as an insult. And the strawman! What a tour de force! It's like you really understand socratic thought! Bravo, sir. BRAVO.

Yeah, definitely an aspie.

A butthurt aspie at that.

Edited by The Architect

Don't know what to expect the next day after I've given them my opinions when I disagree on something.

If you're an employee they value, it shouldn't be something you have to worry about.

I started out as contract with BioWare too, but I actually didn't jump at the chance to work OT at every opportunity, nor did I hesitate to state that I disagree with a decision. I think it just comes down with HOW it is done (unless the people are actually ponces).

I always got the impression that people respected me for stating a differing viewpoint, because a team of yes-men doesn't get much critical analysis.

Well, crap hit the fan today at work, issue i was working on got the notice of the company's COO so that was a rush today. Wonderful highlight of problems with support when the devs don't document much in the way of how something works, no one knows who would know something and the devs are pretty much dismissive of support inquiries.