RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

Interplay is trying to crowdfund Project V13, the old Fallout Online.

http://www.blackisle.com/

Of course, they're using the blackisle.com site instead of something like Kickstarter so they don't have to give you the money back if it doesn't reach the goal. Oh, and the only thing contributing will get you is forum access.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Of course, they're using the blackisle.com site instead of something like Kickstarter so they don't have to give you the money back if it doesn't reach the goal. Oh, and the only thing contributing will get you is forum access.

I find it funny the entire company even exists anymore.

I find it funny the entire company even exists anymore.

I'm shocked that anyone has actually contributed to that.

Things you should give money to

http://kotaku.com/5969725/you-can-hire-a-lawyer-for-the-little-guys-of-game-development

Of course backing an independent game developer's Kickstarter is one way for a gamer to support that sector—albeit game-by-game. Benefactors looking for a broader approach might consider this project currently on Indiegogo: Pro bono legal assistance to independent game developers.

In addition to helping the little guys battle bogus copyright and takedown claims, New Media Rights also advises independent developers on matters of privacy, disclosure and contract law. They've already published 120 YouTube videos in a "season one" of "Legal Assistance for Game Developers." New Media Rights is looking for $16,000 to do a Season Two.

A-list names such as Valve's Gabe Newell and Obsidian's Chris Avellone have participated in NMR's first "season" of interviews; many others in the industry have as well. That, plus the five-year tenure of the project, speaks well of its intent and the good it's doing. Yet so far this fund drive has raised only $3,770 of its goal, with the deadline approaching on Friday. As a nonprofit, NMR reminds that any contribution is tax-deductible.

"In addition to the interviews that are already live right now, there are more original, non-interview segments ... that I'm extremely proud of," Shaun Spalding, NMR's assistant director, said last month when Reddit discovered the group's work. "These discuss practical tips on things like trademarks, independent contractors, nondisclosure agreements, and cloned games. We aim to educate indie developers on how to prevent legal problems by themselves when they can't afford lawyers."

The services offered by New Media Rights, an independent project of the California Western School of Law in San Diego, usually run between $300 and $500 an hour. The project is staffed by law students at California Western, they get real world experience in the fields they're studying. This recent profile in San Diego City Beat tells you a lot more about their purpose and who they've helped.

Here's the Indiegogo page

http://www.indiegogo.com/newmediarightsgames

• Like 2

Huh...that kind of looked terrible.

I'm optimistic about it. I'd have prefered the game to be voice acted but I liked the gags in the trailer as well as the art style and I've enjoyed much lower budget indie adventures in the past. Besides even some of the better adventure games like Wadjet Eye's stuff usually look a bit bland in trailers but they tend to be fantastic stories which is what I'm hoping for with Randal's Monday. Who doesn't love a good Groundhog's Day story?

I was more confused about the use of the music. I was trying to read the dialogue and getting blasted with stuff that didn't seem to fit the scene at all. Then you have all the sitcom references, which could be funny, but nothing really made me laugh in the trailer.

Anyone knows the new Zombie MMO game The War Z? No? No matter, neither did I until a huge crapstorm erupted when it got released by steam yesterday. Apparently it was advertised as something it quite wasn't. There also are funny rumors flying about, such as how they randomly ban people, who have enough hours played, and hope they will buy the game again, and plan to make as much money in 6 months and then take the money and run :p

Here is a entertaining interview with the executive producer: http://pc.gamespy.co.../1226980p1.html

Steam also just took the game out from there:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here.

Again, we apologize any inconvenience.

I heard about it in the context of news that it looked like a blatant ripoff of the ARMAII mod Day Z.

Also this is unprecedented, Steam has never allowed refunds for anything before, that I'm aware of. Refunds certainly aren't offered in its TOS.

Edited by AGX-17

I received a full refund on a pre-purchase once for Steam. It was pretty easy.

In what kind of situation? I too thought getting refunds from steam would be near impossible.

Once bought Mirrors Edge from steams -75% sale, decided it wasn't my thing and asked the customer service to remove from my account. They replied immediately that they do not give refunds. I had to clearly state in writing that I only wanted them to remove the game from my account and I didn't want any refund before they did what I asked :p

They do refund pre-orders, not games already been released and bought.

I wonder if you can get them to issue a refund if you have never played the game? I mean they can tell if you've used the key or not, I would imagine, so if you haven't, you might have a chance to get it refunded.

They do refund pre-orders, not games already been released and bought.

I wonder if you can get them to issue a refund if you have never played the game? I mean they can tell if you've used the key or not, I would imagine, so if you haven't, you might have a chance to get it refunded.

They say they will refund one game, but I don't know if that's the real policy or just what they say to keep people abusing it.

I asked for a refund on DOOM 3 BFG since it wouldn't work for me, and that's the line they gave.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Steam will consider refunds on a case by case basis. They wont admit they do because that would be the start of an avalanche of refund requests, but I have received a refund for two games. The latest was HOMM V. That game (or rather the UPLAY service it required) was such a mess that it was totally unplayable, literally in my case.

I received a full refund on a pre-purchase once for Steam. It was pretty easy.

In what kind of situation? I too thought getting refunds from steam would be near impossible.

I got a refund for Darkspore one day before launch. The reason I gave them for wanting a refund was "I only just realized this is being published by EA."

Fastest refund I ever got :)

I also got a refund for some Gotham City Impostors dlc that Steam was selling, but the Live Marketplace had region locked and was in fact only available in the US.

Interestingly enough, this took a few days for the refund to be approved, with me sending them screenshots to prove that the item really is region locked.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I don't think they have any issues with issuing refunds with preorders.

I have gotten a refund in the past, but I requested it minutes after I made my purchase (bought the wrong version). Of course, I still bought a different version so that likely makes it easier for them to swallow.

I don't think they have any issues with issuing refunds with preorders.

I have gotten a refund in the past, but I requested it minutes after I made my purchase (bought the wrong version). Of course, I still bought a different version so that likely makes it easier for them to swallow.

The first refund is usually met with an "Ok, but only this time!"

It's how I got at least one of my games, because I bought it and within 6 hours it was like 75% off.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.