How do you feel about dead party members?

How do you feel about dead NPCs?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Are you reloading when your party member die?

• Yes - I dont want to miss future quests/conversations/other reasons
    • No - I feel it like cheating/its part of roleplay/other reasons
    • Somtimes - explain
  2. 2. Do you want devs to spend budget and time on dead NPCs quests/story?

• No - I want devs to focus only on living NPCs/other parts of game
    • Yes - I want to be able to have quest related to death of NPCs
    • Other - please explain

In BG2 there were some interesting quests related to dead party members, so this kind of missions can definitely add something to the game. I sometimes let NPCs die if there's a way to resurrect them or if I'm not planning to take them along permanently. However if the game doesn't have possibility for NPCs to die permanently it breaks the immersion for me completely.

I'm generally going to reload unless I'm growing weary of having that particular NPC around as I hate missing out on dialogue and banter. Death-related quests? Well, I wouldn't mind going on a quest to have a companion raised from the dead, but otherwise I'd likely end up missing all such death-related quests as I'd never let any of my companions die.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I generally don't like having my companions die. I don't mind so much if you can resurrect them but unless you have a means to do so I'll just reload. I wouldn't mind having a couple of dialogue lines, for example to the family of the dead party member as part of the game's recognition of their death, but I don't want substantial resources devoted to quests for dead npcs because I won't ever experience them and if they are good I don't want incentives to kill off my companions. If they have a personal quest line and die before it's accomplished I suppose an alternate ending could be a good idea.

1: Depends on the NPC, depends on the situation leading to their death. No offense to NPC's or anything but sometimes I play a character who may not be too .... worried about going the extra mile to save a dude. Other times the character may be important to the plot or even the way I have decided to go with my character so maybe I will reload. It just depends.

2: Sure they should have quests and plots relating to NPC deaths. But only for MAJOR NPC's that are central to the plot or became extremely close to the main character either through friendship or a relationship.

I went for no, I guess previously I would have been a sometimes guy but I think I'll try and roleplay P:E as deeply as possible when the time comes.

I think quests relating to the death of a party member is a great idea, or at least you could inform their family and watch their trauma to make companion death impactful. It certainly would better than the usual companion getting stabbed to death by a goblin and it having no effect on the world what so ever; even loner types would have some ties to the world around them or some form of legacy. It would also encourage players to consider not reloading, as there would be some things you could only find out or experience if a companion died - which adds to replayability. If they did this, I'd probably end up offing companions myself with one character just to see what would happen.

• Like 1

In BGEE I had an chaotic evil mage join me, I'm not playing an evil character so when he died I didn;t care (how very meta, and how very evil of me :))

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.