Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part III).

a "Schweizerdegen" basically a Swiss short sword and/or dagger.

EP30v.jpg

Kuhmaulschuhe (Cowmouth shoes? No idea what their name is in English)

tudor.jpg

Katzbalger, typical Landsknecht sword/dagger. ****ing awesome.

aaa_katzbalger.JPG

And now the ultimate proof that sometimes even 16th century weapons look like straight out of a high fantasy setting:

flamberge.jpg

And the best helmet for ANY city guard in my opinion.

Eisenhut_gorss.jpg

Those shoes are a bit too early for late middle ages/early renaissance though. Still worth a look, since most shoes/boots in fantasy games look utterly bland.

w-1100-1_wz.jpg

High and Late Middle Ages shoes.

Schuhe_Sp%C3%A4t-_und_Hochmittelalter_IMG_0004_edit.jpg

Some cool fluted armour.

imgp9745.jpg

Les Trois Mousquetaires :D

QUIZ_Les-trois-mousquetaires_3017.jpeg

• Like 2

Elan_song.gif

I love these gun shields so much, I had to include another one. I can't believe people actually used these.

collage_lb_image_page35_5_1.png

An Imperial (German) matchlock musket. In the 16th century, "musket" was a specific term for a heavy weapon that could not be fired without resting it against a support, usually used to kill heavily armored enemies. Musketmen were usually elite soldiers, trained to operate as a unit and deliver rapid, heavy fire once deployed.

collage_lb_image_page35_7_1.png

collage_lb_image_page35_10_1.png

Just had to show some of the exquisite detailing on these weapons. Specialized wheellock weapons were so expensive that they were as much works of art as tools of war, complete with being named by their owners. The image below are the detailing on a wheellock petronel (cavalry gun), and a wheellock rifle (sharpshooter's weapon) respectively.

collage_lb_image_page35_16_1.png

collage_lb_image_page35_23_1.png

The same pair of wheellock pistols from before from a different angle, followed by their internal clockwork mechanisms. Just wanted to show how complicated a wheellock weapon really is - up to 13 moving parts, each needing to be carefully constructed and assembled by a gunmaster.

collage_lb_image_page35_29_1.png

collage_lb_image_page35_34_1.png

Finally, a hand mortar with a combined wheellock-matchlock firing mechanism. Makes sense to have two, as using a hand mortar involved tossing a live grenade into it and then pulling the trigger. If it failed to ignite - boom!

collage_lb_image_page35_40_1.png

• Like 2

High and Late Middle Ages shoes.

Those are some most excellent looking shoes/booties.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Gotta love those Saxon helmets.

As I said here I personally believe the Glanfathan will be based on a Celtic culture (based on very little evidence, admittedly) and as such they'd look a bit more like this

The Celts were renowned for their berserkers.

No, berserkers were a norse/viking thing. Not celtic. You're attributing a quality of the rapers of the British Isles to the then-native denizens of the British isles, who by then were a mix of various celtic ethnicities, ethnicities from around the Roman Empire (there were Syrians manning Hadrian's wall before the fall of Rome,) and the previous invaders, the Angles, Saxons and co.

And why are you saying this in response to a post about Saxons? They were Germanic, not Celtic.

Edited by AGX-17

Anyone who says that Celts aren't famous for their Berserkers has obviously never served on the same grid square as a Scottish infantry battalion, nor gone out on the piss in Glasgee of a Friday night.

So you're basically saying that only people who served know they are famous.....you know you're not making any sense right? That DOES mean they are not famous at all...not one tiny bit....because nobody(except those who served apparently) seems to know much about them. That's like me claiming that only people outside my friends group would claim we're not famous.......

Not to mention that military groups are the same everywhere.....lots of overinflated pride and chest pounding and shouting how their platoon/company/battalion/whatever are the best eva and worshiping a few past battles that nobody else knows about and so on....so yeah, they ALL look very famous from the inside, if you actually buy into the silly stuff.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Anyone who says that Celts aren't famous for their Berserkers has obviously never served on the same grid square as a Scottish infantry battalion, nor gone out on the piss in Glasgee of a Friday night.

So you're basically saying that only people who served know they are famous.....you know you're not making any sense right? That DOES mean they are not famous at all...not one tiny bit....because nobody(except those who served apparently) seems to know much about them. That's like me claiming that only people outside my friends group would claim we're not famous.......

Not to mention that military groups are the same everywhere.....lots of overinflated pride and chest pounding and shouting how their platoon/company/battalion/whatever are the best eva and worshiping a few past battles that nobody else knows about and so on....so yeah, they ALL look very famous from the inside, if you actually buy into the silly stuff.

Wow, and a new award for humourlessness was forged.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Isn't it a mistake to call the indigenous Britains "celtic," their DNA is not linked to the european dominating tribesmen but has found its closest match in the basque region of Spain. In fact that DNA is still the base matter of the british isles, with the influences of the germanic/scandinavian peoples peaking in the obvious areas of Yorkshire, Anglia etcetera. Obviously the major cities, reflecting their international aspects have become melting pots of races and peoples but the backwoods and shires remain split between these two racial groups.

Roman auxilliaries and such do not even register upon the scale.

Sorry I was recently involved in a long term study of genetic markers throughout the isles, and i've become somewhat finicky as regards the "celtic" appelation. I can see AGX's point however, too often the celtic and germanic cultures are merged. It's as bad as seeing the lowlander William Wallace in a highlanders kilt and pictish warpaint, somewhere an historians quietly weeping.

N.B. Mind you the culture of the British Isles was decidely celtic, most likely the results of a small group of conquering warrior noblemen imposing their will upon the indigenous population.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

N.B. Mind you the culture of the British Isles was decidely celtic, most likely the results of a small group of conquering warrior noblemen imposing their will upon the indigenous population.

Strike a blow for Boudicca of the Iceni and broil a salmon for Manannan Mac Lir! ;)

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Strangely enough Mac Lir's island home, the Isle of Man, does have a language mixing both celtic and norse elements.

Us nerds do carry a lot of useless informations around in the old brain box don't we?

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Us nerds do carry a lot of useless informations around in the old brain box don't we?

It's what we get for refusing to be mesmerized by imbecilic "pop culture"--plenty of time to study history and contemplate the "why" of things.

• Like 3

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

Can we extend the plea to spears being useful for once? Or, being present in the game at all, you know. Swords, as Avellone seems to think, are kinda boring. If there's too many of them that is, I love swords. But spears, man!

Now, for anyone who thinks a spear is only useful in formation, can't possible defend, or is easily overcome by getting close (or any other old forum nonsense):

• Like 5

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Can we extend the plea to spears being useful for once?

I'll happily extend this plea towards polearms in general. Fine video, too. :thumbsup:

Aye, quite amazing stuff.

Since we're discussing Celts, here's his version of Boudicca :

Maybe not pactical as armor, but it is absolutely lovely in terms of visual design. I dunno about the slits up the leg, however. Why not just a full kilt?

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Aye, quite amazing stuff.

Since we're discussing Celts, here's his version of Boudicca :

Maybe not pactical as armor, but it is absolutely lovely in terms of visual design. I dunno about the slits up the leg, however. Why not just a full kilt?

Well, to be fair, compared to the Gaulish Gaesatae, who fought completely naked, I'd consider that fairly practical ;)

I'll see your polearms, and raise you one scythes.

I know they aren't the most practical weapon, but that doesn't make them any less awesome. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Actually, they're very practical. Probably not what you had in mind though.

Haha. Not quite what I had in mind -- you were spot on with that -- but still pretty awesome. AND they're polearms! It's like a win-win! I don't think it would be too big of a leap, for style's sake, to go with the reaping scythe design and still allow martial proficiency. If you train with a potato your entire life, you can probably become quite skilled with it, and it doesn't even have a blade. The scythe is already ahead! 8D

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u