Custom Pizza Toppings

BruceVC

Hi All

Most of us love pizza. Last night I ordered a pretty unique pizza, it was a risk but it really worked. I am interested in your unique pizza toppings when you order. We may all get some good gastronomic idea's :)

Last night I ordered

• Mexicana ( this consists of Mince, Chili sauce,Onion, Green Pepper and Garlic)

I then asked for the following extra toppings

• Extra Mozzarella
  • Chicken Livers
  • Bacon
  • Feta
  • Banana

As I mentioned the unique toppings all complimented each other, So whats your pizza ideas?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wow, banana on pizza? Never heard of that before. :)

I'm pretty bad at making the "perfect combinations", but I love garlic- or chili marinated shrimps on pizza. A simple pizza with only some mozarella and green pesto can be nice, too.

Us Norwegians often use something called "rømme" as well. It's kinda like sour cream, except not as sour I guess. A more milky taste, kinda hard to explain. It makes for a really good contrast when you add it to spicy pizzas.

Edited by Thingolfin

Wow, banana on pizza? Never heard of that before. :)

I'm pretty bad at making the "perfect combinations", but I love garlic- or chili marinated shrimps on pizza. A simple pizza with only some mozarella and green pesto can be nice, too.

Us Norwegians often use something called "rømme" as well. It's kinda like sour cream, except not as sour I guess. A more milky taste, kinda hard to explain. It makes for a really good contrast when you add it to spicy pizzas.

That rømme sounds interesting. nice one :)]

Banana on Pizza is quite common in South Africa, if you like Banana try it next time you order. It particularly go's well with Bacon and if you have something really hot as it balances the heat from Chili, for example

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ah, excellent idea, Bruce. Let's see, last night I sorted out 2 cups of pinto beans. Have to get out the bad ones and small pebbles and the like. Even good beans from the grocer will have some less than desireable beans in them. Then I put in 8 cups of water and covered them to sit over night. This morning, I drained them and put in just enough water to cover them and I'm simmering them with a few bay leaves. They'll simmer for a few hours and then I'll remove the bay leaves, mash up the beans, and put in some butter, some finely chopped garlic, salt, cumin and maybe some cayenne or chili pepper. After it's cooked up, I'll probably take a few tomatoes and toss them in the blender and puree them and put them in the whole mix. Then I'll just cook it down until the beans are thickened. I would have used goose fat if I'd had any. I'm going to cook up a goose this week for the fat. Of course, we'll eat the bird also. I also sometimes use cooking oil for the refried beans, but I think butter or fat is better and I like the butter for Mexican pizzas.

I tend to use my calibrated eye for measuring how much to use, and it seems to work pretty well. I'm too lazy to use measuring cups for simple stuff like refriend beans or pizza sauces.

The ground beef is pretty much browned ground beef. You'll spread a thin layer of refried beans on the dough, a thin layer of ground beef over the beans, and then finely shredded cheese over the top. I'll be using cheddar, jack, and asiago. You can put black olives on top like pepperonis if you like. I'll probably sprinkle some coarsely chopped jalepenos over or under the cheese or I might put those in the refried beans.

For the dough, I'll put one of the recipes I use:

I disolve about a table spoon of brown sugar in 1&1/4 cup of hot water (maybe not quite as hot as normal hot water from the tap, but somewhere around there.) (I used dark brown sugar most of the time if I have a choice. I like the distinctive taste, although it won't be very strong in the finished crust.)

Next I put a packet of rapid rise highly active yeast into the sugar water and wait a bit until it foams (maybe 5-10 minutes). While that's going on, I combine 3&1/2 cups of flour with a slightly rounded teaspoon of salt in a different bowl. Now that the yeast and sugar are all ready, I put 2&1/2 cups of the flour mix into the bowl and then roll it out onto my counter and kneed in the rest of the flour until it's a nice ball and it doesn't stick to the counter when I kneed it. Then I put a smidge of olive oil into a large bowl and put the ball of pizza dough in it and cover the whole thing. You have to leave the dough to rise for a bit. Warmer is supposed to be faster, but I always just leave it on the counter. Anyhow, it'll get to be considerably larger, about twice the size, and that should be about twenty to forty minutes or so. I'm usually cooking other stuff at the same time. You know, grating cheese or whatnot, so it's not like you're just sitting there watching the dough rise. Then I roll out the dough ball onto the counter and roll it into shape. I can usually make two pizza crusts with the dough, and the dough is probably the only thing I'll completely use for the pizzas. I'm going to make two kinds of pizza, regularish and Mexican. I'll have left over brown ground beef and refried beans for sure. Anyhow, I put the other stuff on the rolled out crust and bake at 425 for about a half hour or so. The cheese should be melted to a nice golden brown. I tend to use my pizza baking stone for one of the pizzas and I've done something some folks don't like but I'll just a tiny veneer of olive oil on it before the dough. I've never had the dough suffer for it. I've also tried something I heard about which is baking the crust for a few minutes before putting the toppings on, but I don't see any real difference personally. At any rate, the crust should come up from the baking stone no problem and the cheese should be melted to a nice golden brown and you're good to go.

Oh, and the wife hates onion, but I would have used a bit of chopped onion in the beans and ground beef if that weren't the case. I think that's it.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I just like the spicy meats (Itl. sausage, linguica, pepperoni etc), mushrooms, jalepeno type pizzas. Artichoke hearts and olives are always good. Hubs isn't into "weird" ;) stuff on his pizza and neither of us like anything but red (tomato) pizza sauces, so it's rare we do anything but the ol' fashioned US type toppings.

I do like sliced tomatoes, green peppers and onions but hubs doesn't like those either, so.... ;(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah, excellent idea, Bruce. Let's see, last night I sorted out 2 cups of pinto beans. Have to get out the bad ones and small pebbles and the like. Even good beans from the grocer will have some less than desireable beans in them. Then I put in 8 cups of water and covered them to sit over night. This morning, I drained them and put in just enough water to cover them and I'm simmering them with a few bay leaves. They'll simmer for a few hours and then I'll remove the bay leaves, mash up the beans, and put in some butter, some finely chopped garlic, salt, cumin and maybe some cayenne or chili pepper. After it's cooked up, I'll probably take a few tomatoes and toss them in the blender and puree them and put them in the whole mix. Then I'll just cook it down until the beans are thickened. I would have used goose fat if I'd had any. I'm going to cook up a goose this week for the fat. Of course, we'll eat the bird also. I also sometimes use cooking oil for the refried beans, but I think butter or fat is better and I like the butter for Mexican pizzas.

I tend to use my calibrated eye for measuring how much to use, and it seems to work pretty well. I'm too lazy to use measuring cups for simple stuff like refriend beans or pizza sauces.

The ground beef is pretty much browned ground beef. You'll spread a thin layer of refried beans on the dough, a thin layer of ground beef over the beans, and then finely shredded cheese over the top. I'll be using cheddar, jack, and asiago. You can put black olives on top like pepperonis if you like. I'll probably sprinkle some coarsely chopped jalepenos over or under the cheese or I might put those in the refried beans.

For the dough, I'll put one of the recipes I use:

I disolve about a table spoon of brown sugar in 1&1/4 cup of hot water (maybe not quite as hot as normal hot water from the tap, but somewhere around there.) (I used dark brown sugar most of the time if I have a choice. I like the distinctive taste, although it won't be very strong in the finished crust.)

Next I put a packet of rapid rise highly active yeast into the sugar water and wait a bit until it foams (maybe 5-10 minutes). While that's going on, I combine 3&1/2 cups of flour with a slightly rounded teaspoon of salt in a different bowl. Now that the yeast and sugar are all ready, I put 2&1/2 cups of the flour mix into the bowl and then roll it out onto my counter and kneed in the rest of the flour until it's a nice ball and it doesn't stick to the counter when I kneed it. Then I put a smidge of olive oil into a large bowl and put the ball of pizza dough in it and cover the whole thing. You have to leave the dough to rise for a bit. Warmer is supposed to be faster, but I always just leave it on the counter. Anyhow, it'll get to be considerably larger, about twice the size, and that should be about twenty to forty minutes or so. I'm usually cooking other stuff at the same time. You know, grating cheese or whatnot, so it's not like you're just sitting there watching the dough rise. Then I roll out the dough ball onto the counter and roll it into shape. I can usually make two pizza crusts with the dough, and the dough is probably the only thing I'll completely use for the pizzas. I'm going to make two kinds of pizza, regularish and Mexican. I'll have left over brown ground beef and refried beans for sure. Anyhow, I put the other stuff on the rolled out crust and bake at 425 for about a half hour or so. The cheese should be melted to a nice golden brown. I tend to use my pizza baking stone for one of the pizzas and I've done something some folks don't like but I'll just a tiny veneer of olive oil on it before the dough. I've never had the dough suffer for it. I've also tried something I heard about which is baking the crust for a few minutes before putting the toppings on, but I don't see any real difference personally. At any rate, the crust should come up from the baking stone no problem and the cheese should be melted to a nice golden brown and you're good to go.

Oh, and the wife hates onion, but I would have used a bit of chopped onion in the beans and ground beef if that weren't the case. I think that's it.

I have to say that is probably the most descriptive recipe I have ever seen anyone post on a gaming forum, nice one Cant :)

I have mentioned this before but I was to frequent the Mortal Online forums and I would post similar posts but no one ever put the effort in I see on these forums. I am really impressed. So the question is "is this attitude unique to these forums". Its a first for me

Something else about those forums is that the Mods would very seldom make posts. They were like this invisible force that only really appeared to lock threads. I like the fact that the Mods here interact on the forums, it gives them proper identity.

• Like 1

John Milton 

My pizza of choice is

Chicken

Bacon

Capicollo

Roasted Garlic

Pineapple

On BBQ sauce with mozzarella, cheddar, and feta.

Also once had a pizza with egg, ham, cheese, and hollandaise. Was pretty tasty.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like a good mix of meat and other stuff on my pizza. I prefer deep dish to thin crust.

I usually get onions, green peppers, black olives, pepperoni, sausage, bacon and roasted garlic.

The place I go to gives me honey to put on the crust.

Ok, after reading Cant's description and thinking about pizza, I'm hungry.

I used to enjoy pizza, then I came to America.

Now, there's a lot of good pizza in America. The problem is, most of the time I see pizza, someone else ordered it, en masse, from Papa Jones or something. And they generally go for the time honoured Bread + Mozzarella + Tomato Sauce + Pepperoni + Copious Amounts Of Oil combo.

I generally like onions, pepperoni, capsicum (it's not 'pepper', guys), and some form of herbs on top. Seafood style is always interesting too.

The problem is, most of the time I see pizza, someone else ordered it, en masse, from Papa Jones or something. And they generally go for the time honoured Bread + Mozzarella + Tomato Sauce + Pepperoni + Copious Amounts Of Oil combo.

Most US chain pizza places are the suck. At least on the West Coast, no clue about other parts of the US. Domino's, Pizza Hut, Mountain Mikes, etc. All icky, imo. :) Back in the early '80's, our local Round Table's were decent for a franchise chain - not great, mind you, but decent - but they've gone downhill over the years and varies wildly by location. I still like their red sauce tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I used to enjoy pizza, then I came to America.

Now, there's a lot of good pizza in America. The problem is, most of the time I see pizza, someone else ordered it, en masse, from Papa Jones or something. And they generally go for the time honoured Bread + Mozzarella + Tomato Sauce + Pepperoni + Copious Amounts Of Oil combo.

I generally like onions, pepperoni, capsicum (it's not 'pepper', guys), and some form of herbs on top. Seafood style is always interesting too.

And it's Allium cepa, not 'onion', guy. Get it right, jeez. What a philistine.

Edited by AGX-17

My favorite pizza is:

-Mozarella cheese (can be something else too)

-Tomato sauce

-Fillet of pork (think I'm using the right description) Small pieces spread around the pizza.

-Bolognese

-Jalapeno

-Onion

-Garlic (don't always use it)

-Red paprika (pickled is godly with the other ingredients, but fresh(?) works fine if you don't like pickled.

I don't like it well baked. But that means that when you work with the crust, you need to know what you are doing, or it will not be easy getting the pizza out of the oven.

Edited by Labadal

My perfect pizza

pizza sauce or arrabbiata sauce if I want to spice it up

mozzerella

portobello mushrooms

kalamata olives

roasted garlic

hot (spicy) soppressata

mascarpone (just a little dabbed around)

anchovies on the side (don't like them baked on)

I usually go a little light on the cheese and really heavy on the mushrooms

Free games updated 3/4/21

I make pizza 2-3 times a month, usually two at a time. I tend to make the bases myself though unlike Cant I tend to use a bread maker rather than the traditional method- though I do make Naan the traditional way once or twice a year. The two usual toppings set ups I use for pizza are:

Plum or Apricot sauce base- I've also used Tamarind for the more orientally inclined

Blue cheese

Tuna

Leek or red onion

Whatever veg I have available (usually 2+ of bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, peas or courgi/ zucc)

Sometimes spinach and feta; or chilli peppers.

Tomato base

Bacon

Sardines

Capers

Gherkins

Veges as above

Olives

Good old fashioned tasty cheddar cheese as I prefer the extra taste to mozzarella.

There is a place near me that has a "Shipweck Pizza". It has shrimp, scallops, crab, green onions, white sauce (like alfredo but lighter) and cherry tomatoes. Good stuff.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell