Disney buys Lucasfilm

Tale

He died because a moon fell on him.

Hm, thought it was in a storm or something.  Never did finish that NJO series.  

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He died because a moon fell on him.

Hm, thought it was in a storm or something.  Never did finish that NJO series.  

The old Yuuzhan Vong had one of their gravity things pulling a moon out of orbit, and during the fun and games of evacuation of the starport, Chewie got stuck saving the kids or something and was left behind.  So they pretty much painted the picture of him standing there, waving his fists at the sky as the moon crunched down atop him...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wasn't the Yuuzhan Vong the group that was immune to force powers? I kinda felt they violated the spirit of Star Wars anyhow.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, there was some whole thing about them being extra-galactic invaders, so they couldn't be directly affected by force powers. I think by the end of the New Jedi Order storyline, that was partially changed or something.

To be fair, they'd always had a certain amount of aliens or creatures with various resistances to the Force. Hutts being basically immune to mind tricks and the like.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, being immune to the "mind tricks" is one thing (possibly even an innate ability to tap into the force to block that particular manipulation), my understanding was the Vong couldn't be effected directly by ANY of the powers (you could still topple a wall on them, but you couldn't force throw them into a wall) because they were outside the force. The force that connects all living things in the Star Wars reality.

Which - and I wasn't reading them, so total outsider looking in - screamed of "we can't think of a way for villains to go against our heroes anymore so we're going to make them immune to all force powers".

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Should have just gone for "their numbers are endless" type of enemies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

am thinking of the new battlestar galactica tv series. recall the silly "all along the watchtower" music and sudden having new cylons revealed... and some wackiness with tigh's wife being the Big Brain behind the cylon plan? is not as if that were planned from the start o' the series. the "and they have a plan" was a mystery to the writers as much as to viewers. the show's creators were asked 'bout their big reveal and they were surprisingly honest that it just kinda happened organic. they kinda hit a wall with story and didn't know how to advance it. gotta bunch o' sci-fi geeks sitting in a meeting wondering, " so now, where do we go?" somebody suggests something crazy/insane and in a moment o' poor judgement (or perhaps because nobody has anything better) you gets new canon. 

Spoiler much?

new bsg were 2004. you figure on waiting another decade before watching?

rosebud were brand name of Kane's sled.

apollo creed beats rocky at the end of the movie.

jr weren't actually shot-- it were all a dream sequence.

the chick who kinda looked like a guy in the crying game were actually a guy.

we would spoil christmas/easter/tooth-fairy for you, but sometimes you give impression of being 'round 8 years old, so we will forebear and lets you continue to enjoy your childlike ignorance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The discussion on this thread (and specifically this page) makes me happier and happier with the decision.

EDIT:

Ugh... last page :/

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

They were xeno-galactic enemies, how turned out to have come from a living planet within the galaxy. They literally left, pulled a uturn and came back and didn't realize it.

The Vong were a stupid threat, built up to much at the start, then by the fourth or fifth book they were treated like any other enemy. Then there was the whole sacking of Courescant... which was totally reverted after the meta-arc was done.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

NJO brought the world Vergere, and thus Kreia, so we should all (except Volo who should shake his fist) be thankful for that as Star Wars was far more interesting with a bit of moral ambiguity rather than with GL's incomprehensible and arbitrary moral absolutism. The quality of the writing was wildly erratic but it did manage a reasonable number of books that were genuinely worth reading.

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 3

Looks like there isn't any big names (other than the original actors) so that might bode well.  Although I think that was more directing than anything else in Episode 1-3, we all know Natalie Portman can act but she was pretty terrible.  

Bad script writing as well.

• Like 1

Great cast. Pretty excited about this actually - guys like Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis) and Domhall Gleeson (About Time) are very impressive up-and-coming actors. Looks like Mark Hamill is getting into shape as well.

cV1uGqF.jpg

This is all well and good but more importantly when  are we going to get a sequel to Spaceballs?

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I heard they were working on Spaceballs 3 a couple yeas back but Mel Brooks decided he wasn't up for it.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Daisy Ridley ... only new female cast member announced.  If they go with any sort of "children of the Big Three" angle, I'm assuming she's going to be the daughter of Han and Leia.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

All the talk about Yuuzhan Vong is making me bitter at franchising again. It would be so nice if we could have a broad set of Space Opera on film to enjoy.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

All the talk about Yuuzhan Vong is making me bitter at franchising again. It would be so nice if we could have a broad set of Space Opera on film to enjoy.

You know, things are pretty good for space opera.  Battlestar Galactica got a solid reboot, Firefly got a movie, Star Wars is getting a new trilogy, Star Trek is a blockbuster.  There is even talk about a new Farscape.  

Honestly SciFi in general is doing pretty well. 

I'd disagree on BSG being solid. And Serenity was 9 years ago.

Star Trek and Star Wars are literally the only ones ongoing that aren't just hypothetical. I absolutely hated Into Darkness for the exact reasons I dislike franchises. And there's currently more bad in Star Wars than good.

We need something new that can create its own principles and themes. That only burdens itself when it's a failure. That's not occupied with trying to raise the stakes of the ones it's following or betray their themes.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."