Can we change the name of stamina to vitality please?

Should it be called vitality or stamina?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Vitality or stamina?

• Vitality
    • Stamina
    • Neither
    • I don't care

A lot of people on the forums have been trying to incorporate stamina into a variety of different actions and mechanisms that apparently the devs didn't have in mind. Per J.Sawyer [source needed] stamina is meant to be mainly a combat-specific marker, and not used for things like encumbrance, magic "points", running, etc.

I don't blame these members because stamina usually implies energy used for doing a series of different jobs. I frankly don't like the term stamina as a term used mainly for combat or "hit points." Instead, I propose that the devs use the term "vitality" to describe this term. It has more of a combat-oriented connotation, and will not confuse players as to the actual use of the mechanic. "Health" as it stands for a long-term hit point system works. But "stamina" doesn't. Use vitality instead. The definitions (per dictionary.com are listed below)

Stamina:

noun

strength of physical constitution; power to endure disease, fatigue, privation, etc.

Vitality

noun

1. exuberant physical strength or mental vigor: a person of great vitality.

2. capacity for survival or for the continuation of a meaningful or purposeful existence: the vitality of an institution.

3. power to live or grow: the vitality of a language.

4. vital force or principle.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 3

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I would support that ... I am more used to the concept of stamina in RPGs limiting the number of repeated tasks you can perform or the amount of time you can perform draining tasks (running, combat, etc) ... I am much more used to thinking of vitality in relationship to health and Hit Points

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

I would prefer "Structural Damage Capacity" TBH. Bonus points if you get the reference.

It really doesn't matter much as I see it. If anything Vitality should replace Health.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I would prefer "Structural Damage Capacity" TBH. Bonus points if you get the reference.

Megaversal?

Yes. From what I understand, the proposed system is quite similar to the SDC/HP system found there.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Stamina perfectly describes what they're doing with the mechanic. Why would you use vitality for this and not the health aspect instead?

The whole point is for vitality to remind you of hit points because that's what the devs are aiming for with the "stamina" mechanism. They're both hitpoints (stamina/vitality and health). Health is a fairly constant (over short periods of time, barring damage) factor whereas "stamina" is a more variable (in short periods of time) factor representing hitpoints.

The fact that vitality evokes images of health to you speaks to the point that I'm trying to make: stamina is only meant to be used as a hitpoint mechanism and not any other mechanism.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

The definition of stamina you provided seems to fit PE's concept of stamina more closely than vitality. Vitality is derived from the latin vita, which literally means "life." Vitality would be more appropriate for the "health" stat whose loss results in permanent death.

e.g. Vita is the root of the word "vital," as in "vital organs." It's life itself. It's the difference between you and I typing on our machines and the corpses buried in the ground.

To call the non-mortal variety of wounding (whose worst-case scenario is unconsciousness,) "vitality" would be misleading, because even a nick or scratch would then be a "vital wound."

• Like 2

I think that Stamina fits best what it is being used for, but as the name does not matter to the functionality of it I don't care much what it ends up being called. Although, I would find having both Health and Vitality to be somewhat confusing -- I find them much more similar than Stamina and Vitality. If anything, Health = Vitality would make more sense to me.

knightofchaoss.jpg

Stamina perfectly describes what they're doing with the mechanic. Why would you use vitality for this and not the health aspect instead?

The whole point is for vitality to remind you of hit points because that's what the devs are aiming for with the "stamina" mechanism. They're both hitpoints (stamina/vitality and health). Health is a fairly constant (over short periods of time, barring damage) factor whereas "stamina" is a more variable (in short periods of time) factor representing hitpoints.

The fact that vitality evokes images of health to you speaks to the point that I'm trying to make: stamina is only meant to be used as a hitpoint mechanism and not any other mechanism.

Different vitality and health bars would just make things very confusing for someone who doesn't know the mechanic beforehand. Stamina as word describes much better what they intend to do with that mechanic: When you run out of stamina you are fatigued and can't fight for a while until regaining your strength. Logically if you run out of vitality you are dead.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I think people still didn't get that when you are hit, you get hurt (health goes down) and you get exhausted (stamina goes down). When your health reaches 0, you die. When your stamina reaches 0, you can't fight on and fall unconscious.

Balancing those things out is still going to be tricky though ... a lot of the combat in IWD or BG could run 4-5 turns (especially at the start) ... if my fighters all drop to the floor with fatigue after 2 rounds it is going to force consistent tactics like missile attacks or other things ... as long as they can balance it so my fighters can last more than 5 turns of combat without passing out I will be okay with whatever they call the two statistics :)

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

I look at my stats and think:

Stuff I can cast magic with

Stuff that makes my big numbers hurt more

Thing that causes me to die if it hits zero

Number of stuff left to fire/shoot/throw

Etc... Though I can understand the point of having names that properly describe something, I don't think it really matters in the end. It had a meaning and it's explained HOW it applies. That will suit me.

• Like 1

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

I'm with AGX-17, stamina is better and vitality indicates health to me. If you absolutely can't go with Stamina then use Endurance or Fatigue instead instead.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Frankly speaking, the gaming word stamina is so tied to the concept of non-magic resource for warrior or rouge abilities that it will only make confusion if it stayed.

I'd gladly prefer "fortitude" or even better "resilience".

Only boring people get bored

I think people still didn't get that when you are hit, you get hurt (health goes down) and you get exhausted (stamina goes down). When your health reaches 0, you die. When your stamina reaches 0, you can't fight on and fall unconscious.

Balancing those things out is still going to be tricky though ... a lot of the combat in IWD or BG could run 4-5 turns (especially at the start) ... if my fighters all drop to the floor with fatigue after 2 rounds it is going to force consistent tactics like missile attacks or other things ... as long as they can balance it so my fighters can last more than 5 turns of combat without passing out I will be okay with whatever they call the two statistics :)

In BG and IWD your warrior can drop dead after one combat turn if enemy got critical hit on you (especually at the start). And with bad luck fighter will go down in couple turns even if enemy don't get any critical hits, so in my opinion it is big plus if they only drop unconscious istead of dead. Usually fights last several turns because both sides missed most of their attacks, but that had nothing to do with combat resource points.

Frankly speaking, the gaming word stamina is so tied to the concept of non-magic resource for warrior or rouge abilities that it will only make confusion if it stayed.

I'd gladly prefer "fortitude" or even better "resilience".

As long as we agree stamina isn't a good term, I'm happy.

My DXdiag:

I don't think there has been a statement that excluded stamina from being a resource for non-magic skills/abilities apart of being the non-lethal hitpoints. And I see how this can be balanced rather well by giving warriors skills/stats that increase their stamina by a large amount, like hardiness or endurance as a passive skill.