What you did today

Gorth

I'm curious about this Irish Car Bomb, Gftd, so please tell. I promise, I won't be offended.

Nothing too crazy, a standard bomb shot from back in the day made by dropping a shot of Jamesons Whiskey into a Guinness and chugging the whole thing in one go.

Irish Car Bomb

As for you, Enoch, first of all, I use vodka, and while I don't buy the store brand stuff, I never buy anything more expensive than Grey Goose. Second of all, most of the time I've already ruined that with Gallo Vermouth. Why? It's the only one I can get at the grocery and I don't want to hie my ass to a packaging store. Third of all, it used to like that olive briny taste. Now I don't think I could stomach another dirty martini. I've sworn them off for live. Finally, if, by whiskey, you mean scotch, I'm with you. :Cant's broad grin icon:

Well, if I were drinking vodka and Gallo vermouth, I'd probably want to drown out those flavors, too. I've never really thought that vodka and vermouth went together well at all. Martinis work because vermouth (if it's decent vermouth and it isn't spoiled) goes pretty well with gin. That said, I've never seen much use for vodka at all, beyond pouring it into fruity stuff to get undergraduates wasted. You almost always get a more interesting ****tail if you drop the vodka and use either gin or rum instead.

As for whiskeys, scotch is lovely but expensive. Bourbon and (especially) Rye are good and generally more economical.

• Like 2

Gin has a distinctive taste but the first time I had a dirty martini it was made with vodka and I didn't want to risk changing the flavor. Generally, I've prefered gin martinis, but I've never really bought into martinis in the first place much until I tasted the ol' olive brine concoction. It was anything but a college student fru-fru drink, I can tell you. It had such a full taste. Extremely salty, with probably only enough vermouth to frost on the side of the glass, and I'm assuming good quality ****tail olives. I know that I've tried pimento and jalepeno stuffed olives in my own, but then again I've also tried a dirty martini made with my own homemade pickle brine. It was... different. lol I *do* agree with you that vodka, in my mind, is best used in mixed drinks. I don't like the taste of it for its own sake and I find potato vodka disgusting.

I've never much taken to bourbon, but I do enjoy a good Rye. The thing to keep in mind is that, while I might not live hand to mouth, I don't have a lot of money. I drink way too much to buy expensive booze. Nevertheless, if I'm drinking scotch, I'm willing to spend just a little bit more. I've never been such a snob that I'll turn my nose at a blend, especially if someone else is buying, but I view Scotch as a treat rather than a staple, so it's aged over 20 years and single malt. I've even traveled to Scotland to visit a 'Scotchery' in Gretna Green.

EDIT: Watching tv while I play a little New Vegas again.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

We wouldn't want the drinks discussion to get too classy, so here's a shot from last night. It's called "Nagasaki", normally they do it without the bottle so you have the burning mushroom from the inverted champagne coupe, but, hey, if you go trashy, go all the way. :p

post-25926-0-18251600-1351931170_thumb.jpg

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

*thinks about something to write about*

...can't think of anything. Pretty slow and takin' it easy past couple days, and weekend looks like more of the same. That's not a complaint. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We wouldn't want the drinks discussion to get too classy, so here's a shot from last night. It's called "Nagasaki", normally they do it without the bottle so you have the burning mushroom from the inverted champagne coupe, but, hey, if you go trashy, go all the way. :p

Or go scientific with your drinking and go for the Whiskey Cloud (although any booze can be used).

Nothing quite says classy drinking like pouring a short of alcohol into a 2 liter plastic bottle, putting it under pressure, whipping the cork out and watching it vaporise.. sticking a straw in and breathing deeply.... :shifty:

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Home again! Another project completed before deadline and under budget. Yea! I'm done for the year now unless something else comes up.

No to the subject at hand. You are all discussing one of my favorite topics, however I'm a little disturbed to find you diluting good whiskey with "mixers". I find that vulgar and uncivilized. Unless you are buying the cheap stuff. Then mix away, you have to make it palatable somehow.

No good quality hooch is meant to be enjoyed in a glass alone or maybe with ice. I prefer a high quality bourbon like Knob Creek or Makers Mark (only if Knob Creek is unavailable). I used to drink Woodbridge but I find it's light, fruity aftertaste does not conform to what a pure Kentucky Bourbon ought to taste like. No Vodka and other grain liquors were not meant to be taken straight. They have no taste, no character.

Scotch is always a good bet but I've never cared for it. Too bitter and imposing. I think that;s why lawyers drink it. Right Enoch? :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Welcome back GD :)

I tend to simply avoid hard alcohol. I'm sure I would enjoy a nice bourbon, but I drank enough crap in college that I have no desire for it. I prefer to have a good quality beer here and there instead. Plus with the recent health scare my wife had, I've really been avoiding anything that is too tough on the body.

Speaking of health, I made lentils for the first time the other night, and they came out fantastic. I washed them, then simmered them with nonfat, low sodium chicken broth and a splash of cooking wine for about 30 minutes. I added in some cayenne pepper for good measure, and it tasted great. I put it over rice and peas, and served it with some naan fresh out of the oven. One of the better dinners I've made.

• Like 1

Home again! Another project completed before deadline and under budget. Yea! I'm done for the year now unless something else comes up.

No to the subject at hand. You are all discussing one of my favorite topics, however I'm a little disturbed to find you diluting good whiskey with "mixers". I find that vulgar and uncivilized. Unless you are buying the cheap stuff. Then mix away, you have to make it palatable somehow.

No good quality hooch is meant to be enjoyed in a glass alone or maybe with ice. I prefer a high quality bourbon like Knob Creek or Makers Mark (only if Knob Creek is unavailable). I used to drink Woodbridge but I find it's light, fruity aftertaste does not conform to what a pure Kentucky Bourbon ought to taste like. No Vodka and other grain liquors were not meant to be taken straight. They have no taste, no character.

Scotch is always a good bet but I've never cared for it. Too bitter and imposing. I think that;s why lawyers drink it. Right Enoch? :lol:

I for one have no idea what you are talking about! *sips on Bruichladdich 18yo* :p

I for one have no idea what you are talking about! *sips on Bruichladdich 18yo* :p

*Checks liquor cabinet*

Dammit, you've got me beat by 2 years on the Bruichladdich!

Scotch is too bitter and imposing? I think not. I'd say it's dry and rich by comparison. Typically, bourbon has a disctinctive sweet flavor that makes me gag just a little when I taste it. On the other hand, I do fancy rum, which also tastes quite sweet, and it has certainly gotten short shrift in this discussion. We sound like a bunch of booze-hounds in this thread, which is fine because I *am* a boozehound, but it's hard on the body. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm glorifying killing one's liver. Just talking about an activity in which, sadly, I engage often.

I'm sitting to watch a show with the wife before I go out to a Freedomworks event to do volunteer work. I know I know... some 'tolerant' folks will heap scorn on me for being a Republican. Anyhow, I'm a big guy, but I think most folks around here would be surprised at how well I can handle irate and hostile people peaceably. In fact, I'm wearing my "proud to be an adorable American" t-shirt with a kitten on the front just to show how soft and cuddly I am inside. lol

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

*Checks liquor cabinet*

Dammit, you've got me beat by 2 years on the Bruichladdich!

It's pretty good stuff, unpeated, so it's nice and subtle, I think it benefits from being more aged due to it.

In fact, I'll light up a cohiba to celebrate that.

Since, y'know, I can smoke them legally. :p

So I often have a big, clear-plastic glass of water by my keyboard, right. Was eating a sandwich for lunch just now and thought to myself, I'll just drink some of that bit o' water that's still in the glass from last night. Started to reach for it but thankfully, I noticed that there seemed to be something in the bottom of the glass. When I looked, it was the corpse of a pretty big spider. Just sitting at very the bottom of the glass, in the water. Dropped in from the ceiling and drowned, I assume.

If the glass wasn't clear plastic and I had taken a drink before realizing that, I might have swallowed it. Please excuse me now while I go freak out a little bit.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Fully manager at work... just in time to take over and shut down the lobby tomorrow so we can do our remodel.

Which is going to be annoying for people methinks.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That one, you're welcome to all by yourself. The fragrance of a nice cigar can be pleasant from afar, but I never got past the whole "this smoke burns my throat, why would I want to deliberately inhale it?" thing.

Speaking of health, I made lentils for the first time the other night, and they came out fantastic. I washed them, then simmered them with nonfat, low sodium chicken broth and a splash of cooking wine for about 30 minutes. I added in some cayenne pepper for good measure, and it tasted great. I put it over rice and peas, and served it with some naan fresh out of the oven. One of the better dinners I've made.

I'm not a fan of lentils in general but that actually doesn't sound bad. And I love naan. :)

Now I'm hungry. Hmm. Food, then gaming.

Fully manager at work... just in time to take over and shut down the lobby tomorrow so we can do our remodel.

Congrats on the promotion.

Seconded.

EDIT: mmmMMMMMMMMMM Fio! I love me some Vietnamese food. Better than Thai in my opinion. Of course, Korean is best. Bibimbop, nakji dolsot, and seaweed soup. I love octopus or squid with rice.

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays

My wife has had her cheerleaders work two recent McD's re-openings. I think Iowa is a bit out of the way for them, but you might want to check with the local school about such things. Congrats :)

That one, you're welcome to all by yourself. The fragrance of a nice cigar can be pleasant from afar, but I never got past the whole "this smoke burns my throat, why would I want to deliberately inhale it?" thing.

You're supposed to enjoy the aroma, not inhale it ;)

Woke with a bit of a headache, so tried lurking in bed for a bit rather then get up.

Puttered through the day with various things, and had a poke at trying to figure why my pc wasn't recognising the microphone on my Razer Cacharias headset.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."