What you did today

Gorth

Haven't been able to make headway on much of anything today.. Just having that mix of mental frazzle, distractions and procrastination that keeps merging and flowing around.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My greying dachshund surpasses everything in cuteness.

Post a pic?

We used to have a pet pics thread around here somewhere I thought. That might have been a long long time ago, but I seem to remember a few notables. Red has a couple of cute kitties. GD and Mal have doggies, although Mal's a small one and GD trains big dogs or something like that. Gorth, the gone Aussie native bastard, has been feeding some sort of pet lizard. I know Fio has a couple of big dogs. I used to have three cats, but I've lost a couple over the years and only one of my little beasts is left. I don't know if Squeakycat hangs out in WoT, but I know she's got a couple of captivating cats.

Went to church, then out to lunch with friends at the mediteranean restaurant for Arabic cuisine and some Turkish coffee. The proprietors are from Syria originally if I'm not mistaken. Good times, and now getting ready for the grind to kick back in again.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Going through another one of those phases where I wonder if I'm really into games/computing as a hobby anymore...vs. it just being a habit to think I am, if that makes sense. :lol: I could cite the "direction of gaming" cliche but I don't think that's the whole story in my case. More a lack of wanting to sit in a chair whilst reflexively pressing keys for 3+ hours at a time. Anyway, so far a relaxing day at home (finally!). Hubs played a bit of BL2/Pirate DLC while I ate some lunch and watched. Time to catch up on a couple documentaries I've been meaning to watch.

Also, on the topic of squirrels, old pics:

yard-squirrel-065-sq1a.jpg

sq-ht-03.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

He looks almost thoughtful in this photo. Even if the thought is "where is the food".

post-25426-0-79130700-1353899721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think he's contemplating turning your slippers into chewtoys.

Currently half-watching Armageddon. It may not be a very good movie, but it sure had some pretty effects and stuff.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Trying to do work with random power cuts isn't actually the most productive... I'm keeping a small torch on me due to how dark its getting now. Otherwise everytime the lights go out it's pretty pitch black inside the house as well as outside..

Going through another one of those phases where I wonder if I'm really into games/computing as a hobby anymore...vs. it just being a habit to think I am, if that makes sense. :lol: I could cite the "direction of gaming" cliche but I don't think that's the whole story in my case. More a lack of wanting to sit in a chair whilst reflexively pressing keys for 3+ hours at a time. Anyway, so far a relaxing day at home (finally!). Hubs played a bit of BL2/Pirate DLC while I ate some lunch and watched. Time to catch up on a couple documentaries I've been meaning to watch.

Also, on the topic of squirrels, old pics:

yard-squirrel-065-sq1a.jpg

sq-ht-03.jpg

Damn those squirells are cute :)

You should just have a break from gaming for a few weeks, try some other hobby and then see if you miss it. I work in the software industry so gaming is just an extension of my job, which I love. I can't think of another entertainment hobby that I enjoy as much

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hubs (on phone): "I left my headlights on this morning."

...time to go rescue the hubs. Good thing we bought that new battery for my own car. Hahaha.

• Like 2

Hubs (on phone): "I left my headlights on this morning."

:lol:

I remember way back in time in Denmark when headlights were still manually controlled. It didn't happen to me (more luck than skill), but a number of friends had to do the walk and ask for help (and cables). Much teasing ensued :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

For the car related anecdote.. Some years back during university, a group of us were out at a pub with a live band. One of the guys feeling unsociable stole the taxi we'd ordered without waiting for the rest of us. Leaving the group to walk back a fair few miles (because it was murder trying to get a free cab at that time of night). Since the route we walked went past said friends place.. in a fit of general annoyance we decided to let the air out of his tires so he'd have to get them refilled... Not too much of a hassle since there was a garage about 5 minutes down the road.

Go to a few days later when we next saw him.. and he complained about how he woke up, went outside and found "some git had slashed his tires" - not actually checking to see that they had been slashed, just assumed it due to their flat condition- so he drove his car with completely flat tires down the road to the nearby garage to get them replaced. So he pretty much ruined his own tires by driving there in that condition... We were all like "duude?!"

• Like 1

You rat bastard delinquent, Raithe! Okay, I have a story also.

We used to have an old green Impala. The gas gauge broke and so I would have to keep track of the mileage until I fixed it. I used to have to fly up to Concord, CA all the time for business. I ended up there for a couple of weeks once and, flight delayed, getting back to SoCal, working at 7am with a half hour drive, I got three hours of sleep before I went to work and got the call that none of my brothers and sisters in Las Vegas could help the folks move. So, I finished work and drove immediately out to Vegas. I got there late, but had to go to Walmart for something to wear. I got a pair of cheap green shorts and borrowed a pair of my dad's shoes and a tie-dyed t-shirt that was a size or two too small. I moved everything the next day and then, exhausted from lack of sleep went to sleep until the next day. I got up and, over the protests of my mom and dad, drove home. I had to give the shoes back to dad, so I wore my new green shorts, a tight tie-dyed t-shirt, and my dress shoes and socks.

On trips, I can stay awake by drinking tons of caffein, running the air conditioner on high, and putting off using the restroom. It's miserable, but it keeps me awake. So there I am, frozen, hyped on caffein, and desperately putting off the restroom when... Remember the broken gas gauge? So, I run out of gas and have to pull over. I get out, exhausted and miserable, and start walking to the nearest exit. A little cesspool by the name of Stoddard Wells road somewhere between Victorville and Barstow, I think. Anyhow, I'm walking towards the exit in my green shorts, tie-dyed shirt, and dress shoes when a semi stops and the passenger door opens and a man asks in a pronounced Southern drawl, "Ya need a rahde?" I looked up, weighed my chances of getting murdered, decided I just didn't care, and had him drop me at Stoddard Wells Road. Anyway, if I'd been thinking clearly, I would have bought a gallon of orange juice, dumped it, and filled the container with gas and walked back to the car. As it was, since neither of the two gas stations (dumps) in the place sold gas can, I called the wife and she had to get out of bed, buy some gas cans, and come to me to fill them up and bring them to me some eighty miles away. We got the car to the gas station and filled it with gas whereupon my wife insisted that we have breakfastfast at the only place nearby... a Marie Calender's. It is a testament that my wife, who always worries about being presentable (which calls into question why she married me) actually walked into the joint with me dressed as I was.

This last Thanksgiving, unbidden and without spite, the thought came to me that I was thankful I don't talk to my family any more. Now that my dad is dead, there is truly no reason for me to see any of them again.

Anyhow, tonight I broke into a little Irish. As snobbish as people can be about Scotch, and I'm guilty too :Cant's repentent grin icon:, I think a little Irish is good. For one thing, Scotch is a little much for getting drunk but I don't feel guilty breaking into the Irish. The sad truth is, no matter what else they provide, pretty much everything other than Scotch is for getting drunk, from cognac to rye.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On trips, I can stay awake by drinking tons of caffein, running the air conditioner on high, and putting off using the restroom. It's miserable, but it keeps me awake. So there I am, frozen, hyped on caffein, and desperately putting off the restroom when... Remember the broken gas gauge? So, I run out of gas and have to pull over. I get out, exhausted and miserable, and start walking to the nearest exit. A little cesspool by the name of Stoddard Wells road somewhere between Victorville and Barstow, I think. Anyhow, I'm walking towards the exit in my green shorts, tie-dyed shirt, and dress shoes when a semi stops and the passenger door opens and a man asks in a pronounced Southern drawl, "Ya need a rahde?" I looked up, weighed my chances of getting murdered, decided I just didn't care, and had him drop me at Stoddard Wells Road. Anyway, if I'd been thinking clearly, I would have bought a gallon of orange juice, dumped it, and filled the container with gas and walked back to the car. As it was, since neither of the two gas stations (dumps) in the place sold gas can, I called the wife and she had to get out of bed, buy some gas cans, and come to me to fill them up and bring them to me some eighty miles away. We got the car to the gas station and filled it with gas whereupon my wife insisted that we have breakfastfast at the only place nearby... a Marie Calender's. It is a testament that my wife, who always worries about being presentable (which calls into question why she married me) actually walked into the joint with me dressed as I was.

:grin: Thats quite a story, your wife sounds like a very understanding person. I used Yahoo to read up on Marie Callenders, seems like a nice franchise for breakfast or a snack

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Awesome story. I mean, that's the good thing about bad things happening, it sometimes gives you great stories.

I'm in back pain, have been running around like crazy all morning and have a job interview coming up. Kind of not looking forward to changing a job now that I'm just starting to learn this one, but... It's a fairly unique opportunity in a country this small, even if it's just another fixed-term contract like this one.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"That's a wildly inappropriate story that I can't tell you. But that's the point. Don't you want to have wildly inappropriate stories you can't tell your children about when you grow up??"

• Like 1

Woke up, saw a note, it said "Happy Birthday", realize that I had forgotten my own birthday, made coffee.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Woke up, saw a note, it said "Happy Birthday", realize that I had forgotten my own birthday, made coffee.

Well happy birthday. So is it heading to that fine balance point where you aren't so much celebrating another year of life, as are more counting off one more year to the grave? :shifty:

• Like 2

HBD.

I don't really care about birthdays anymore, but people keep insisting on forcing their way into my place when I have one.

:grin: Come on Orogun did you seriously forget your own b-day? What are you going to do to celebrate?

I consider B-days a celebration of life, so happy B-day :w00t: :w00t:

Well happy birthday. So is it heading to that fine balance point where you aren't so much celebrating another year of life, as are more counting off one more year to the grave? :shifty:

You funny Raithe, that cracked me up :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

How'd you manage to forget that ? Well congratulations on another year down

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm beat. Today a kid ran away when we were on a school trip. I had to stay behind in the pouring rain for 2 hours while the other teachers had to go back to school. Scared, wet (I was wearing a freaking winter jacket) and cold as f***, I had to search for the kid on my own (until the school called the police). In the end, I said **** it, he's gone home. So I went to his house, and lo and behold, the kid walked almost 10 kilometers on his own. His parents weren't at home, so I took him with me back to school. First we ate, because we were both starving, I've never seen a kid eat that much, lol. Then we had a nice little talk, me, him and both principals.

I had this crap happen to me last week too, only difference is that they were two, and they ran away from school.

Working with kids isn't easy, and sometimes I wonder to myself what the hell I'm doing. I come home most days, absolutely exhausted, not feeling like doing anything. I'll sleep for an hour or two, browse the net with spotify in the background and watch any sports event currently on TV. I've got the day off on Thursday, because I've been working a lot of overtime, so I'm at least looking forward to that. Then I have until the 21 December, after that there is no more work for me this year.