What you did today

Gorth

Guy just called me and told me he found my wallet. Even said exactly how much cash was in there. My faith in the human race has gone up a few notches.

Wow - that's an awesome experience. I thank you for sharing it Gorgon - awesome!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

That is definitely cool, Gorgon. Occasionally us humans are all right. ;)

Finally bought/installed Dead Money and am now installing Torchlight2 while wondering how the heck I change my CC info on Steam's website. The "my account" section just gives me purchase history lists and a "delete current associated CC" option. That's not what I want.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Turns out I've fractured a bone in my foot, grand.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well is a tiny fracture, advice I got from the ER was to wear a hard soled shoe and elevate it while sleeping. Well hoping it's a tiny fracture and I got decent advice :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just thought I would let the community know I just had a check-in with tarna. He's back at work for now and says 'hi' to you all. He said he will try to get online as life & energy permit.

• Like 6

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Ouch, Mal. That sucks. On the other hand, huzzah, Gorgon. People are actually pretty decent at heart, I think in me pirate heart. Finally, damn straight, Red. Now go play Dead Money and report back to us!

Oh, and I did something entirely pointless. I just ordered a couple of Attic Greek readers in order to get back into the language. I think I've almost lost it at this point for lack of using it, and that depresses me greatly. Maybe it's pointless, but I'm going to pull out the ol' text books again and find something to translate. Maybe biblical stuff. That's relatively easy.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just thought I would let the community know I just had a check-in with tarna. He's back at work for now and says 'hi' to you all. He said he will try to get online as life & energy permit.

Thanks a lot :)

Now, maybe we should inform Sargy that his signature is a bit premature ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well is a tiny fracture, advice I got from the ER was to wear a hard soled shoe and elevate it while sleeping. Well hoping it's a tiny fracture and I got decent advice :p

Good to hear you okay, its a relief you will still be able to disagree with me on the Romance\Sex thread :yes:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's good to hear he's working again at the moment, thanks for the news.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Bummer! I remember as a teenager I fractured my big toe. The first doctor I went to didn't even see it on the x-ray. We went to our family physician the next day and he found it. It was super painful to walk on for the first couple days, but it did heal fairly quickly. Good luck.

Thanks for the well wishing. Wish I had a more impressive story behind it, though, stumbling on a random shoe on the floor is too klutzy a tale. :p

Thanks for the well wishing. Wish I had a more impressive story behind it, though, stumbling on a random shoe on the floor is too klutzy a tale. :p

Make one up for future tellings?

"AND then kids, I SAW THE MONSTER! AND The explosion from the military killing it catapulted me across the neighborhood so I had to backflip to stay standing and it was only because I landed on that foot, with a block of cement and two trees landing on top of the foot, that it even THOUGHT about breaking!'

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I made myself a few dirty martinis. I've been enamoured of them since I had one in a jazz club in LA a few weeks back. Good God, they're terrible addictive. Anyhow, this is my drinkin' day, and I think two of those and a Long Island Iced Tea is good enough. I'm switching to the dry vermouth, chilled, so's to let myself down a little easy before I hit the sack.

As for you, Cal, ya bastard, tell us something about what happened in your life. You can't just comment on poor wretches like Mal. You have to give us the skinny on the cold shoulder chic you're rooming with lately. There've been tiems, I would have called such a cold shouldered woman 'Vifen.'

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've been working overtime almost everyday for some time now, so I was very surprised when my boss told me to go home 5.5 hours early. I gave her a strange look first, because I wasn't sure if she was serious. Turns out she was, and apparently I have my co-workers to thank for it.

Only problem is that I don't know what to do. I should probably do something resourceful, but I'll most probably end browsing the net and playing games.

but I'll most probably end browsing the net and playing games.

Gaming is resourceful in my books :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Been really tired the whole week (post-dissertation blues, I assume), but today's been the tops. 7 hours and the sum of things I've achieved is lunch with coworkers and picking up my (personal) laptop from the service centre. Really should make a meeting report from some notes, but totally unable to do anything even that mechanical. Ffff.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I had an excellent week, I have come back from my trip to Vegas really invigorated and with new suggestions on how to be a better software consultant. Despite the long flight times the Symposium was well worth it. We had some excellent motivational speakers who discussed soft business skills and not just technical concepts. My favorite was John Care, http://www.linkedin.com/in/johncare

Really dynamic and interesting public speaker, kept you captivated the whole time

John Milton 

I made myself a few dirty martinis. I've been enamoured of them since I had one in a jazz club in LA a few weeks back. Good God, they're terrible addictive. Anyhow, this is my drinkin' day, and I think two of those and a Long Island Iced Tea is good enough. I'm switching to the dry vermouth, chilled, so's to let myself down a little easy before I hit the sack.

Ugh. If you buy decent gin and good vermouth, why on earth would you screw it up by pouring in liquid from a $3 bottle of olives? Drowns out all the flavor with a ton of salt. Leave the olive out entirely, and go with a twist of lemon peel and a dash of orange bitters.

Alternately:

the-perfect-martini.gif

Slow day at work today. I'm spending way too much time trying to decide what I should pick up to cook for dinner when I get home.

• Like 2

Is it too soon for that one about the new drink doing the rounds? The Sandy. Although it turns out to be just a watered down manhattan....

Anyhow, I'm trying to push through the lingering man-flu. Spent an afternoon dismantling my mothers old motorised chair, then building the new one.

Also made a start on some of those "learn Spanish cd's". Trying to pick up, recognise and pronounce in some semi-correct form some of the basic words and grammar... Interruptions of hacking cough really don't help said pronounciation....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I know it's horrible for you, but sometimes a big bowl of Top Ramen (w/meat and stuff in it) on a cool morning just hits the spot. Winter comfort food. :)

It's been a quiet week. Going to spend some time this afternoon catching up on TV. I always fall behind, even on series I like.

Is it too soon for that one about the new drink doing the rounds? The Sandy. Although it turns out to be just a watered down manhattan....

Didnt you get all bent out of shape over the "Irish Car Bomb"? Thats been around since 1979, so yeah, Im sure someone somewhere will cry over this.

One of the reasons I've been a heavy drinker is that I tend to be able to drink huge amounts of booze without the attending hangover. I've waited until now to post because I actually had a horrible hangover this morning. So, what I've done is gone about my business squinting at everything and everyone and covering my eyes whenever I saw a bright light, which I only hoped could be the afterlife saving me from my hangover. Ugh, if people get these all the time, I don't see how they can drink at all.

I'm curious about this Irish Car Bomb, Gftd, so please tell. I promise, I won't be offended.

Gratz on completing your dissertation, Nep. Good man! Even if life is a bit unfocused after such an undertaking, it's still awesome you did it.

Happy you got home safe, Bruce.

As for you, Enoch, first of all, I use vodka, and while I don't buy the store brand stuff, I never buy anything more expensive than Grey Goose. Second of all, most of the time I've already ruined that with Gallo Vermouth. Why? It's the only one I can get at the grocery and I don't want to hie my ass to a packaging store. Third of all, it used to like that olive briny taste. Now I don't think I could stomach another dirty martini. I've sworn them off for live. Finally, if, by whiskey, you mean scotch, I'm with you. :Cant's broad grin icon:

Obsidian Plays