Aumaua Race - Expectations and speculations

Aumaua  

190 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect Aumaua should be like ?

• Barberian-Monster like (orc, half-orc, ogre, Half-ogre, Troll etc)
    • Reptile like (Lizard-man, Snake-man)
    • Aquatic-Humanoid (amphibian, fish, squid - like )
    • Human-like but diffrent (Qunari, Giant-like)
    • More animalistic like (Centaur, Minotaur, Wolfmans)
    • Other Ideas (Tell what)
    • I dont care, Don't have opinion
  2. 2. What do you think about "Aumaua" name for this race ?

• It's Perfect i whant that race be named that.
    • It's strange name but i like it.
    • I don't care about this name.
    • I don't like it but even if they don't rename it i will survive.
    • I don't like it they should rename this race.
    • I HATE it the worst possible name :/. If they don't rename it i will now play this race.
  3. 3. What features should this race have ? (Examples)

• Strong men, warriors, barbaric attitude
    • Large thieving skills, smart.
    • Large magic skills
    • some kind of moral code (samurai, knight, philosophical, etc.)
    • focused on the invasion and robberies like Vikings or pirates
    • calm, peaceful coexistence oriented
    • Skilful diplomats, traders
    • cynical, irreligious
    • Religious, fanatical
    • Otheer ideas (Say what)

Aumakua

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

In Hawaiian mythology, an ʻaumakua (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png/ˈmɑːkə/; often spelled aumakua) is a family god, often a deified ancestor. The Hawaiian plural of ʻaumakua is nā ʻaumākua ([naːˈʔɐumaːˈkuwə]), although in English the plural is usually ʻaumakuas. Nā ʻaumākua frequently manifested as animals such as sharks or owls. Nā ʻaumākua were worshipped at localities (often rocks) where they were believed to "dwell". The appearance of an animal one regarded as an ʻaumakua was often believed to be an omen (of good or ill). There are also many stories of nā ʻaumākua (in animal form) intervening to save their descendants from harm. It was extremely bad luck to harm a manifested ʻaumakua.

Some families had many ʻaumakua. Mary Kawena Pukui's family had at least fifty known ʻaumakua.[1]

Nā ʻaumākua were thus animals, places or rocks, and people. Ancient Hawaiians would have seen no contradiction in a powerful spirit being able to appear as all three, switching from form to form as convenient—as is indeed seen in many stories of gods and demigods.

A symbiotic relationship exists between person and ʻaumakua, the personal guardians of each individual and their family and the ancient source gods from whom Hawaiians were descended.

ʻAumakua can manifest in nature. The form varies family to family. Whatever its form, the ʻaumakua is one specific shark, owl, etc. However, all members of the species are treated with respect of family members.

If family ʻaumakua, these manifestations were not harmed or eaten; in turn, ʻaumakua warned and reprimanded in dreams, visions, and calls.

"ʻAumākua are intimate members of the human family, spiritual relationships with them are especially close and their presence is sought for feast and festivity, as well as in time of crisis. They act as healers and advisors, counteracting troubles and punishing faults." - J. Gutmanis

ʻAumākua could appear as:

• Like 2

I think if there is going to be a humanoid race, it should share ancestry with humans. I wonder if anyone agrees with me here, since there seems to be a lot of support for lizard/fish/frog-men. This is one of my most hated tropes across both fantasy and sci-fi: races that are essentially anthropomorphized versions of existing animals. I'm thinking of the Khajit, the Argonions, most everything Bioware has come up with, 90% of Star Wars races, the list goes on. Maybe I'm hypocritical, but Dwarves and Elves I can accept. I can think of them as pseudo-plausible races. They may not actually be realistic, but they are close enough that my suspension of disbelief can make up the difference. I can imagine how dwarves, elves, and humans could have evolved from a common ancestor to form three similar but distinct subspecies. What I cannot accept is that a feline evolved independently to become practically identical to a primate in movement, biology, culture, etc... For me, playing Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect is like watching Pixar's Cars. I can enjoy it, but I can never forget how bat**** preposterous it is that there is a species of talking cars. Obviously I don't expect Project Eternity to be hard sci-fi, but I really hope there's some level of plausibility to the mythos. If there is an amphibious humanoid, I think it should be a human ancestor that evolved to become amphibious, not a fish that evolved to become a human. If it is a totally seperate species, fine, but please don't give it human hands, a human face, a human shape, or worst of all, human mammary glands. I cringe every time I see a female Argonian.

Aumakua

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

In Hawaiian mythology, an ʻaumakua (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png/ˈmɑːkə/; often spelled aumakua) is a family god, often a deified ancestor. The Hawaiian plural of ʻaumakua is nā ʻaumākua ([naːˈʔɐumaːˈkuwə]), although in English the plural is usually ʻaumakuas. Nā ʻaumākua frequently manifested as animals such as sharks or owls. Nā ʻaumākua were worshipped at localities (often rocks) where they were believed to "dwell". The appearance of an animal one regarded as an ʻaumakua was often believed to be an omen (of good or ill). There are also many stories of nā ʻaumākua (in animal form) intervening to save their descendants from harm. It was extremely bad luck to harm a manifested ʻaumakua.

Some families had many ʻaumakua. Mary Kawena Pukui's family had at least fifty known ʻaumakua.[1]

Nā ʻaumākua were thus animals, places or rocks, and people. Ancient Hawaiians would have seen no contradiction in a powerful spirit being able to appear as all three, switching from form to form as convenient—as is indeed seen in many stories of gods and demigods.

A symbiotic relationship exists between person and ʻaumakua, the personal guardians of each individual and their family and the ancient source gods from whom Hawaiians were descended.

ʻAumakua can manifest in nature. The form varies family to family. Whatever its form, the ʻaumakua is one specific shark, owl, etc. However, all members of the species are treated with respect of family members.

If family ʻaumakua, these manifestations were not harmed or eaten; in turn, ʻaumakua warned and reprimanded in dreams, visions, and calls.

"ʻAumākua are intimate members of the human family, spiritual relationships with them are especially close and their presence is sought for feast and festivity, as well as in time of crisis. They act as healers and advisors, counteracting troubles and punishing faults." - J. Gutmanis

ʻAumākua could appear as:

Whoa. If this is a culture based on ancient Hawaii... That would rock.

I think if there is going to be a humanoid race, it should share ancestry with humans. I wonder if anyone agrees with me here, since there seems to be a lot of support for lizard/fish/frog-men. This is one of my most hated tropes across both fantasy and sci-fi: races that are essentially anthropomorphized versions of existing animals. I'm thinking of the Khajit, the Argonions, most everything Bioware has come up with, 90% of Star Wars races, the list goes on. Maybe I'm hypocritical, but Dwarves and Elves I can accept. I can think of them as pseudo-plausible races. They may not actually be realistic, but they are close enough that my suspension of disbelief can make up the difference. I can imagine how dwarves, elves, and humans could have evolved from a common ancestor to form three similar but distinct subspecies. What I cannot accept is that a feline evolved independently to become practically identical to a primate in movement, biology, culture, etc... For me, playing Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect is like watching Pixar's Cars. I can enjoy it, but I can never forget how bat**** preposterous it is that there is a species of talking cars. Obviously I don't expect Project Eternity to be hard sci-fi, but I really hope there's some level of plausibility to the mythos. If there is an amphibious humanoid, I think it should be a human ancestor that evolved to become amphibious, not a fish that evolved to become a human. If it is a totally seperate species, fine, but please don't give it human hands, a human face, a human shape, or worst of all, human mammary glands. I cringe every time I see a female Argonian.

It really depends on the origin and the context.

You assume the races came about via evolution, in this world it may have been act of the Gods. A Cat Goddess might decide to make some cats humaniods to better worship her. Wizards experimenting on lizards might add human DNA. A species of tree frog might under go the same pressures as humanity. Even yes breasts could evolve on Reptiles if enviromental pressures forced more reptile species to give live birth (there is one species of reptile that does) with young needing nurishment from the mother.

I have no problem with Anthromorphic features on a species if thier is a cause/reason for it. Heck if theres not, I can make one up.

Anways right now my guess is the Aumaua are race of big Shark like humaniods, sharp teeth, maybe gills. Maybe the reason they tend to prefer land near water is they lay thier eggs in the water and when baby Aumaua hatch they're like tadpoles, coming to shore once they've grown up enough to become humaniods. Amphibious, but not Amphibians.

If the race is going to be playable I doubt we will see any major fish or lizard fins just because creating armor models for a single class is a lot of extra work. While it would be great I think that kind of thing might be put aside in favour of spending resources elsewhere.

I'd think some kind of reptilian humanoid:

enemy-mine-header.jpg

or aquatic humanoid:

220px-Abesap2.jpg

So they could wear the same armors as other races and still be different enough not to be just "big ugly human" (half orc).

I'm not sure how they would include the aquatic nature if they turn out to be aquatic, unless they have been pushed out of the sea by some other cultural force (giving the player a reason why you can't just swim across rivers and oceans etc).

Maori are cool, but they are humans. It would be very awkward to take a living real-world culture and use them as non-human creatures.

Using elements from Polynesian mythologies, on the other hand, sounds fine. After all, most Greek, Celtic, or Norse myths and creatures aren't exactly part of the European medieval cultural background the world of PE likely has.

An aquatic race would seem to be handicapped as a surface creature.

They could be found on coastal areas. Kind of like sahuagin from D&D.

Sahaugin die within a day if they can't immerse themselves in water. You could change it to lizardfolk, but their primary advantage is a thick hide: you don't need an aquatic race for that. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

An aquatic race would seem to be handicapped as a surface creature.

They could be found on coastal areas. Kind of like sahuagin from D&D.

Sahaugin die within a day if they can't immerse themselves in water. You could change it to lizardfolk, but their primary advantage is a thick hide: you don't need an aquatic race for that. :)

... and coastal areas don't have any water nearby? I don't see your point.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

I seem to remember a half-giant race with natual psionics from the 3.5 DnD psionic book. Does anyone remember them? I think if you took something simular to that, made them into a coastal/island based culture, maybe add some twists like having them be a very reserved, non-aggressive, maybe matriarchal society, you could have something interesting.