Chanters' Harmony

If they can harmonize, how many people will be making the "Barbershop Quartet" Adventuring party? :)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As I read Josh's hints, the Chanter's abilities aren't really "songs" in the way that we're used to thinking about Bards. More like recitation of an epic poem, or the chorus parts of a Greek play. (Which frankly, is far less lame than the idea of tra-la lute playing in the midst of battle.)

So I don't see much room for "harmony" being as within the thematic scope of the class. And, given that, if the posted stretch goals are reached, there will be 11 classes and only 6 partymembers, the portion of parties that have more than one Chanter will probably be miniscule. So it'd be tough to make a significant chunk of any class's suite of abilities dependent on there being another of that class in the group.

• Like 1

I thought the chanter's powers were going to be linked in with what Chris Avellone mentioned in his first obselete gamer interview (found here: http://obsoletegamer...ainment-part-1/), under the second question. I could be a mile off though.

I think you could be right.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This brings up the following question: Should classes have synergies and combinations between them? Could two Fighter's in your party have a "stance-mode" that they both could utilize together? Should two Mage's be able to power up each other's spells? etc. Could a Fighter+Paladin have something? A Ranger+Rogue? etc.

edit. e.g., could other classes harmonize between/with each other?

Edited by Osvir

I'm not against the idea, but with 11 classes I can't imagine creating synergies between them (or with another version of themselves) wouldn't be time / resource intensive. Particularly if trying not to make them feel the same.

• Like 1

This chanter class sounds more exciting for each hour!

Perhaps some of the strophes in ancient poems can be used like poetic words of power:

"You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass!"

Something along the lines of a certain Gandalf on a certain bridge, but obviously not a wizard/druid...

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Anyone know if there is going to be a Chanter companion and not a custom one from the Adventurer's Hall? Apologies if its already been asked.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams