Quick, but yummy, Recipes\Snacks

BruceVC

Hi All

We all love food. I enjoy cooking and I am constantly looking for tasty but easy to prepare recipes and snacks.

So I thought a thread that discusses this would be appropriate to share some of our universal and gastronomic ideas.

We need some rules, so please include all ingredients and cooking instructions. Finally try to keep it simple as a complex recipe may just be daunting for some.

Eggy Toasted Sandwich

Ingredients

1. 2 pieces bread per sandwich

2. 2 x Eggs and Milk

3. Whatever ingredients you like on your sandwich (some cheese should be a must)

Cooking Instructions

1.Beat the eggs in a bowl and add 2 Tablespoons milk. Season appropriately

2.Make the sandwich with your ingredients

3.Dip both sides of the sandwich into the egg mixture so it is coated thoroughly ( The sandwich may break up a little due to the liquid but this is fine)

4.Heat a frying pan until hot

5. Cook both sides of the sandwich until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side (don't burn)

6. The result should be a rich and delicious toasted sandwich that when cut open the cheese oozes out

Post your snack recipes :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Vanilla yogurt with fresh white peach pieces cut up in it is still my favorite light snack. It's not much of a recipe tho. ;)

For quick meals I generally stick to meat/vegie stir fry's, sometimes making chow-mein like dishes or just over rice. I don't follow set recipe's and just wing it in terms of amounts. Sliced beef and pork + cabbage, broccoli, carrots, and pickled jalapeno's tend to be the main things.

Baking chicken in the oven at 350F for an hour or so is always easy ... my favorite thing to do is cover the chicken pieces with cans of spiced stewed tomatoes (including the juice) + salsa. Stuff like that.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My favourite quick snack is getting some chicken breast or plaice fillet - cut it into small bits, put it in milk, then in a bag full of breadcrumbs with some spices, shake, then get them out and fry them up in a skillet in some olive oil. Bitesized hot snacks.

I hate cooking (and I suck at it), so most of my food is fast, convenient and easy to clean up afterwards. Personal favourite is some sides of salmon (skin on one side) in the oven for 25 minutes in some aluminium foil. While they are in the oven, put some vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower in the microwave for 5 minutes. Cover with plenty of your favourite herbs and spices (dill, ginger, peri peri whatever). Add slice of lime fruit. Squeeze rest of lime fruit over an avocado for desert.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My favourite quick snack is getting some chicken breast or plaice fillet - cut it into small bits, put it in milk, then in a bag full of breadcrumbs with some spices, shake, then get them out and fry them up in a skillet in some olive oil. Bitesized hot snacks.

That sounds pretty yummy. I may have to experiment with that.

I hate cooking

I don't hate the cooking ... it's the messiness and cleanup afterwards that I can't stand. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Slice up several bananas (the short way, so lots of diced banana)..

Take one pyrex bowl and build a layer of banana slices - add sultanas, sprinkle cinnamon, dark sugar, add a splash of cream and rum / brandy (your choice).

Then repeat, building layers until you've used all the banana.

Put in the microwave for about 1 minute (maybe 2) depending on just how much you used..

If the banana has all melted, you heated it too much.. But if you get it just before that, it's perfect. :shifty:

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That sounds tasty. Also, garlic seems like a good addition to that.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Garlic is a good addition to everything.

Strawberry icecream with raw garlic mixed in?

Heja Sverige!!

From here http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2012/10/celebrate-world-vegetarian-day-with-us.html

1/4lb of bacon, cut into chunks and fried crisp; then 1/4 pound of corned beef torn to shreds, and 1lb of ground beef, fried in the bacon fat.

+

black pepper, ancho chili, garlic, hot mustard, and cumin to complement the beef and bacon (and bacon fat).

Then put on bread, and add cheese.

They made it 2 days ago, I saw the recipe and made my own yesterday with chile powder instead of anchos and cumin. Still worked REALLY well and was awesome.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

From here http://anarchangel.b...ay-with-us.html

1/4lb of bacon, cut into chunks and fried crisp; then 1/4 pound of corned beef torn to shreds, and 1lb of ground beef, fried in the bacon fat.

+

black pepper, ancho chili, garlic, hot mustard, and cumin to complement the beef and bacon (and bacon fat).

They made it 2 days ago, I saw the recipe and made my own yesterday with chile powder instead of anchos and cumin. Still worked REALLY well and was awesome.

Seriously, that sounds disgusting.

Translation of the recipe:

Mix fat, with fat, fat and fat. Fry the fat in fat.

+

Season with lots of stuff.

Put on bread and add fat

Eat. Proceed to die of fat overdose.

Heja Sverige!!

+

+

Put on bread and add fat

It may be a little unhealthy but it does sounds tasty, and if you ate it twice a month you will be fine. Consider it an indulgent treat, a bit like an Eisbein :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That sounds tasty. Also, garlic seems like a good addition to that.

It definitely is.

+

+

Put on bread and add fat

Yes, because I was suggesting eating it every day for 3 years. Not to mention that the idea of fat being anathema to a persons diet is the primary reason for carb stuffing and the subsequent obesity boom in the US. As long as you're not eating trans-fats, you're pretty much good to go.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I love Ruben sandwiches. Pastrami/cheese/sauerkraut on sourdough (rye is icky :) ). Until today, it had never occurred to me that perhaps one might be even better with .... some crumbled bacon. Hm. Would that go with the sauerkraut flavor, I wonder?

Darn, now I'm hungry...the larder is nigh empty, and I must go shopping. This could be bad. :biggrin:

Man, this thread is T*TTS! Thank you OP, I shall contribute to this thread in the near future!(with pics and all that stuff!).

Please do :)

I always enjoy reading about global food recipes and what I can then make at home myself.

John Milton