RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

I've never had a console, but I don't see the advantage of having a console over a PC (with the exception of someone not used to computer tech) :

- you can have a PC for the same price (more or less, just avoid the top of the tech)

- you can connect the PC to a TV set, put controllers and play on your sofa.

- you can mod games with a PC

- you can also use your PC as a computer

But I'm open to different opinions, since I don't have a console, I can't judge.

I'd say console is at it's best at laid back social gaming. Drop your arse at friends couch, have a game or two of NHL and have a laugh.

Even I, a die hard PC guy, have almost always owned a console for that.

I've never had a console, but I don't see the advantage of having a console over a PC (with the exception of someone not used to computer tech) :

- you can have a PC for the same price (more or less, just avoid the top of the tech)

But I'm open to different opinions, since I don't have a console, I can't judge.

- the PC for that price runs games on minimal settings, and even that badly

- that's true, but you want wireless controllers which means an extra dongle

- that's the only real advantage of the PC

I have a console because the games look and play good,great even. I never did have that on PC, maybe 5-6 years after the game's release date. And everything ( well the vast majority) works out of the box. Just put the disc in and play. No bad OS taking up most of the resources and slowing down everything. I still love PC but i just can't afford a machine i'd like, so the old one will run old games and newer games are play on "old" ps3. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Pc on minimal settings is how a console runs games. If you bought a PC back when this gen consoles launched, they'd still be able to play games with console quality today. The whole "PCs gotta be upgraded every 6 months" thing is an enormous ****ing fallacy.

• Like 1

Pc on minimal settings is how a console runs games. If you bought a PC back when this gen consoles launched, they'd still be able to play games with console quality today. The whole "PCs gotta be upgraded every 6 months" thing is an enormous ****ing fallacy.

No it can't - trust me on that. Nobody is talking 6 months but xbox 360 has been out over 5 years now.

And any PC bought at the time of it's release will in the very least need an OS upgrade.

Consoles not only offer more value for money but they also allow for peace of mind as far technical issues and performance is concerned.

No it can't - trust me on that. Nobody is talking 6 months but xbox 360 has been out over 5 years now.

And any PC bought at the time of it's release will in the very least need an OS upgrade.

Consoles not only offer more value for money but they also allow for peace of mind as far technical issues and performance is concerned.

My PC is about 4 years old and It hasn't had any trouble with new games and I don't expect it to have any trouble for at least another year. Never had to drop any setting to low.

You really do not have to upgrade PC often unless you absolutely have play every game with huge resolution and three monitors.

This hobby is about games , not hardware. Most games on all platforms do a poor job with whatever hardware is available anyway. Consoles have games that aren't available on the PC and vice versa. The only thing that's important is knowing what you want to play.

The PC can emulate games in time, but that usually means waiting for years before you can play a certain game the way it was intended.

Really the best choice is to have both if at all possible.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

My PC is about 4 years old and It hasn't had any trouble with new games and I don't expect it to have any trouble for at least another year. Never had to drop any setting to low.

You really do not have to upgrade PC often unless you absolutely have play every game with huge resolution and three monitors.

Except with consoles we are talking 7 years time and it still can be good for another 2.

Just in that time frame PCs have the issues with different OS and DX10.

The PC can emulate games in time, but that usually means waiting for years before you can play a certain game the way it was intended.

Last I heard even PS2 emulation was not in very good shape.

Chances that xbox360/ps3 games will be playable in emulators within 5 years are slim to none.

Edited by pmp10

This is incorrect. I bought a nearly 1000 euro PC when PS3 launched, and while it kept pace with them easily for a long while, its graphic card had to be changed at some point (and the current one is almost dead as well) and its been overtaken by the latest in console games in terms of how much they can squeeze out of their hardware as opposed to how much I can squeeze out of mine.

The PS3 used to be 600 euros. In terms of value for money the PC clearly inferior (if you aren't using it as a tool to make money at the same time).

Even now, a PS3 is approx. 300 euros, and a 300 euro pc (without a monitor) is a beefed up office computer.

@pmp: like I said, it takes years and even then its a gamble.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

Except with consoles we are talking 7 years time and it still can be good for another 2.

Just in that time frame PCs have the issues with different OS and DX10.

Sure, just saying that upgrade every 5 years is not often in my opinion. What you mean by issues with OS and DX10?

This is incorrect. I bought a nearly 1000 euro PC when PS3 launched, and while it kept pace with them easily for a long while, its graphic card had to be changed at some point (and the current one is almost dead as well) and its been overtaken by the latest in console games in terms of how much they can squeeze out of their hardware as opposed to how much I can squeeze out of mine.

Eh.

Your graphics card dying and have to be replaced with a crappy one does not mean nobody can play with console quality with as old PC.

Consoles use out-dated hardware. Crappy hardware.

The only reason they can even play some games better than the PC, is because developers spend a lot of time optimizing their game/engine for console hardware (and not PC hardware). And of course, consoles have limited overhead because they don't have to run an operating system.

If you spend 1000 euros and your computer doesn't last you four years - you bought a bad computer (or you were scammed or you just had horribly bad luck). Simple as that. You can buy a $400-600 USD computer today that will run next gen games at low/medium quality for at least 4 years.

Of course, if you disagree, then you're welcome to believe that consoles are using some magical, mystical custom-developed hardware.

But if the consoles just up and died, we'd probably get better games for the PC that run just as well as they do today.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I agree with Deathdealer in regards to the social gaming aspect of consoles -- sports, racing and fighting games played from the comfort of your sofa with a buddy or your better half is where the console shines. An argument could also be made for co-op ARPG's like Dungeon Siege III or the Dark Alliance games. It's laid back, easy fun. That said, I'll never understand why people who own both platforms would ever play big single-player CRPG's like Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim or Dragon Age: Origins, or *any* shooters, on console.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Eh.

Your graphics card dying and have to be replaced with a crappy one does not mean nobody can play with console quality with as old PC.

I went through two good cards in 6 years, the second one works but overheats in games. Even if you chalk it up to rotten luck, the rest of the components have simply aged and the optimization that console games go through put them in the lead. Its not a great technological lead by any stretch but when money is concerned it certainly is.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Consoles use out-dated hardware. Crappy hardware.

The only reason they can even play some games better than the PC, is because developers spend a lot of time optimizing their game/engine for console hardware (and not PC hardware). And of course, consoles have limited overhead because they don't have to run an operating system.

If you spend 1000 euros and your computer doesn't last you four years - you bought a bad computer (or you were scammed or you just had horribly bad luck). Simple as that. You can buy a $400-600 USD computer today that will run next gen games at low/medium quality for at least 4 years.

Of course, if you disagree, then you're welcome to believe that consoles are using some magical, mystical custom-developed hardware.

But if the consoles just up and died, we'd probably get better games for the PC that run just as well as they do today.

My computer is well into its 6th year and apart from the graphics cards (the second one is functional but overheats in many games) still going strong. Its a good machine, but its unreasonable to think it could keep up with equivalent or even lesser hardware that someone is going through extra trouble to optimize their games for.

But like I said, who cares about hardware. Its all about games, and in that respect its best to have both.

Not that traditional PC genres are doing well at all. The RTS is as good as dead, RPG's too. Most of the games released for PC are crappy low budget titles or ports of some sort.

Okay, I picked up a fairly bleeding edge pc 6-7 years ago. Apart from having to replace the graphics card twice (because they died, not because of a need to make them better) , and a hard drive that also died needing to be replaced, I haven't had any issues and it still chews up modern games with no problem. And no, it still runs on the OS it came with.

So, yeah, I'd say it's all working to the good.

If I have a technical issue with my pc I can open it up and fix it. If a console has a technical issue.. you don't really have that same option.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Okay, I picked up a fairly bleeding edge pc 6-7 years ago. Apart from having to replace the graphics card twice (because they died, not because of a need to make them better) , and a hard drive that also died needing to be replaced, I haven't had any issues and it still chews up modern games with no problem. And no, it still runs on the OS it came with.

And in that case you cannot run games requiring Vista/7 while an xbox360 will play Just Cause 2 or X-com without issue.

So, yeah, I'd say it's all working to the good.

If I have a technical issue with my pc I can open it up and fix it. If a console has a technical issue.. you don't really have that same option.

Sure you do - there as many ways to fix braking down consoles as there are PCs.

My Pc runs on Vista which yeah, was just being released when I got my PC, so, I've had no problems running games.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Much like fixing a laptop, just because it is possible and there are youtube videos showing you how to do it, doesn't mean everyone should pick up a soldering gun. A desktop PC is much easier to open up and swap components than anything else.

My Pc runs on Vista which yeah, was just being released when I got my PC, so, I've had no problems running games.

Then it's 5 years old not 7.

Much like fixing a laptop, just because it is possible and there are youtube videos showing you how to do it, doesn't mean everyone should pick up a soldering gun. A desktop PC is much easier to open up and swap components than anything else.

Or you could pay someone to do it - just as a novice would do with a desktop PC.

Edited by pmp10

Hm, I've upgrade every 4-5 years and do alright. Granted I probably have more money to spend than others due to not having a life of any sort. OS upgrades are required relatively infrequently - XP tailed off pretty recently and I hope Win7 would run for the same amount of time in terms of developer support for it.

Peace of mind versus a console, well, I dunno I always hear horror stories of consoles getting bricked and such, with a PC it's pretty rare you end up losing every component at once (friend's PSU exploded and torched everything once). Only barrier there is knowing how to swap it out or picking good components (not a guarantee, but some brands have a reputation for good reason)

You tribals are hopeless.

Hey, we're not a tribe, we're a cult.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

im a full fledged believer in having both PC and consoles

skipping consoles means missing games like The Ocarina of Time, or Final Fantasy 6

skipping PC means you never played Fallout, or Myth: The Fallen Lords

so you really need to have both if you want to experience the best that gaming has to offer

• Like 4

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.