[Merged] Please make a console version!

The control systems of the two are drastically different. As well as the system requirements. So it would definitely be a lot of extra work and consideration that wouldn't benefit the PC.

• Like 4
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

While I can understand that some people might really prefer to play the game on a console/with a gamepad, I'm going to have to say ... no and no, please and thanks. I want a game with mouse/KB control complexity, with menu's that haven't been "consoleified" and all that jazz. Let us have this one, please.

• Like 12
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Actually, I could see them designing a WiiU multiplayer game set in the PE universe. Obviously the style of the game they're currently going with wouldn't work. But a modified version would, and the WiiU has enough memory that a DM + PCs setup could work. Penny Arcade made a point about that regarding D&D, but there's no reason it wouldn't work with a similar setup to the one Obsidian's running for PE. Or they could talk to Paizo and seeing if they're interested in doing a Pathfinder WiiU game.

• Like 1

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Too much work, maybe. That and who cares about those console untermensch, etc., etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If they have the extra time and resources I think it would be a pretty good idea to make it multiplatform. If I had to choose between being able to play it on a console or having more content in the game I would have to the more content.

I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be able to port it to consoles after they release it on the pc and make a decent amount of money off of it first. I think doing that would bring the advantages of bringing to console without the drawbacks of limiting how much starting content will be in the game.

Oh heeeeelllll no.

Answer: Read and listen to all the Project Eternity developer interviews. They're quite clear this will never happen and are very happy that they can avoid the dumbing-down limitations that come with console design. :thumbsup: Nor is Android/iOS coming (though the smart Linux folks have ways around Android).

/thread

• Like 4

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I just don't want a game/interface that's designed to work with both and thus feels like a console interface even on the PC. Design it to be a great PC game/UI first. If they then think it can be ported successfully to console, fine, go for it. :)

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This is a great idea. But I think the devs should go even further. Nowadays, it is not trendy to release games for the PC. Obsidian should revise their plans and aim to support as many platforms as possible but not the PC. They should release the game for Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo consoles, as the OP mentioned, but also for tablets, smartfones, GBA, TVs, MP3 players, digital cameras, calculators, tamagotchis, electronic thermometers and digital fridges.

• Like 5

I do not understand this attitude! My firm belief is that every good game should be available to largest possible number of players. There is no reason for this game to be limited to PC platform: I have already cited several examples of similar games that have achieved great success on consoles while neither PC nor console releases suffered from multiplatform nature of these games. Also, this game will surely not be a title that pushes the limits of technology, so current console hardware is not a problem (nor WiiU hardware which is not much more powerful than X360 or PS3 one).

It should also be noted that old school cRPG is a genre in decline, console ports would be great for attracting a large number of young players from around the world thus increasing popularity of the genre!

• Like 2

I see no valid reasons against console versions.

Basically, exponentially higher costs (and I mean, more than twice it would cost for a PC-only version), the need to design everything from the ground up with consoles in mind that restricts many design decisions, controller differences, user interface differences, graphics differences, increased chances of bugs and technical problems, the need to pay licensing fees to console manufacturers and jump through their bureaucratic processes, etc.

If you could do it without such prohibitions, sure, bring on the consoles. But that's the reality of making console versions, which has been proven time and again by countless developer testimonies and actual game performances.

• Like 8

NO! Catering for the console crowd will require substantially more funding to take into account UI issues and other additional development costs. If Obsidian wants to cater for the console crowd, this could be done later, like the Witcher 2 on XBOX after the PC release.

This is one of the few topics where it is borderline impossible to tell the difference between a competent troll and a naive newcomer. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I do not understand this attitude! My firm belief is that every good game should be available to largest possible number of players. There is no reason for this game to be limited to PC platform: I have already cited several examples of similar games that have achieved great success on consoles while neither PC nor console releases suffered from multiplatform nature of these games.

Every single game you mention is much, much simpler than the Infinity Engine games Project Eternity is modeled on. The reason they are so much simpler is because the console interface is very badly suited to something like Baldur's Gate or Project Eternity. Because there exists a pause functionality, the IE games would be playable on consoles... but it would be a pretty awful experience. To make it not so awful, the game mechanics have to be drastically simplified (as they were in, say Knights of the Old Republic). The reason so many people are excited about Project Eternity is that it will have the complexity of the IE games. Thus, it will not be ported to consoles.

• Like 7

@Op,

As plenty of other people have mentioned, modifying the UI to be used with a controller will increase the costs significantly, as well as reduce the complexity in game mechanics. You give examples of games like KOTOR and DA:O as games which were successful on consoles, which is definitely true. However, Project Eternity aims to recapture the mechanics of games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights.

Are you aware of the fact that the games you mentioned have been inspired by these games? Better yet, pick up one of these games on GOG, and try it out on your pc. These games are significantly more complex than KOTOR and DA:O. The reason is because those games were released on console, the combat mechanics were simplified.. Which is EXACTLY what the developers and us, the backers, do not want!

You say that bringing this to consoles will help popularize the genre? With all due respect, I believe that will not happen. Just ask the current younger generation of gamers to play a game of Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights or Icewind Dale. Almost all of them will stop playing pretty early.

• Like 3

I've nothing against console ports if they are done when the PC version is finished and shipped and the patching and PC support ist fully working. But there shouldn't be any mechanics in the game which can be ported easily to console controllers later on because most PC players (me included) don't want interfaces which are optimized for console usage, we want interfaces for mouse+keyboard and that's it. If OE decides afterwards that a port can be done and is worthwile be happy. If not I don't care.

• Like 6
35167v4.jpg