Best Party Size  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What Size Party is Best

I say either allow us to take every party member with us, or have actual in game reasons to leave people behind and have varying party sizes.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Fewer companions = fewer camp dwellers.

$0.02

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Depends on how classes work. If it's anything resembling D&D, then 6 or 8. Or 7. 6-8. 5 could work if the focus is on inter-party **** and there's tons of banter between NPCs. But for combat etc, more is merrier.

• Like 1

Depends on how classes work. If it's anything resembling D&D, then 6 or 8. Or 7. 6-8. 5 could work if the focus is on inter-party **** and there's tons of banter between NPCs. But for combat etc, more is merrier.

Maybe you could be a little less clear. I'm not saying you could but maybe.

Codex Explorer

I like 6 but I should state that:

a) having a stat (like charisma) modify the maximun can be good.

b) you have them with you ALL the time (unless the story takes some companions, they decide to leave or you decide to leave them). The modern "you have this crew but you have to choose only 2 to go with you JUST BECAUSE" is no good.

c) I'm willing to accept a lower maximun if it means more developed characters and/or bigger pool of potential companions.

Edited by Tychoxi
  • Like 4

Probably a ceiling of four or five for mine, but, as I rambled on about in another recent post, designed such that smaller (not necessarily solo) parties are also catered for with a reasonably consistent difficulty curve, and are properly playtested as a valid, supported gameplay style. (As opposed to the IE games where soloing seemed more of a happy accident with certain dual/multi-class combinations than a design choice)

Three for example is a fairly small party, but given the option is the one I'd go with on my personal playthrough, while still acknowledging that a majority will probably go for a larger, full-sized party.

Something to keep in mind here is that a larger maximum party size may increase the pressure for the character designers to add to the quantity of potential party members at a potential loss of depth in each. Choosing four from say, ten potential members leaves much more room to develop each one than say, eight from a pool of twenty inconsistently realised ones.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I say either allow us to take every party member with us, or have actual in game reasons to leave people behind and have varying party sizes.

I really like the idea of having ingame explanations for the game mechanics, it makes it easier to get absorbed into the world.

• Like 1

Maybe you could be a little less clear. I'm not saying you could but maybe.

How many roles can a single class fill? Can NPCs use social skills or is it just the PC? Are there dedicated healers and "tanks"?

If there are many roles to fill, then more characters are needed.

In D&D you'll want people to unlock stuff, identify items, "tank" or summon meatshields, heal, buff/debuff etc. The IE games had good party sizes, but they also allowed for fewer NPCs.

So if it's similar to the IE games, which they say it will be, I would say 6-8 is a good max but the players should also be able to play with fewer or even solo.

Edited by Zed

I really like the idea of having ingame explanations for the game mechanics, it makes it easier to get absorbed into the world.

Agreed, and it's just better from an in-character perspective.

Imo either leave the party cap unlimited, or create reasons why you can or can't have a certain number of followers(like in Dead Money). And if you don't like the management of more than N number of characters, then don't get more than that in your party.

Variable party size is nice, especially if we pick them up along the way. As opposed to the style where you create them all at the start. Too many characters and it gets confusing to keep track of them all and their side quest lines. They should all feel like individuals and not just a big faceless party like Icewind Dale had.

I think 6 is too many. I voted 4 but overall I think we could have 3 to 5. Some may just be temporary though.

I do not want to see the case however where you're about to help someone out with some problem they have but they say "sorry, your group looks full"! Anyone should be able to join the party and hang out if you let them. Interesting if they could leave and come back over the course of a story instead of just being your pack mule that sticks it out with you all the time. Even more interesting if they could be more normal NPCs at times who travel along with you; ie, the shop vendor who you have been dealing with wants to travel along to the next city, the jail guard you took hostage while escaping, or even the completely inept peasant you rescued on the road. Of course that can get a bit complicated.

I voted 6, but that is just some Icewind Dale nostalgia. It is really going to depend on your "recruitment pool" as to what is the sweet spot party wise.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 or 6 work for me. But like Zed finally clarified it would depend on how classes are handled. I always like two grunts, a healer, two mages and a thief type. Good fun.

6 mages, no pack mules.

=D

I suppose six is a given, Infinity Engine and all.

Edited by Delterius
  • Like 1

5 or 6 work for me. But like Zed finally clarified it would depend on how classes are handled. I always like two grunts, a healer, two mages and a thief type. Good fun.

6 mages, no pack mules.

=D

I suppose six is a given, Infinity Engine and all.

Heh, 6 mages is too easy in the IE games.

Codex Explorer