Baldur's Gate 3?

"No. A good story is a story that knows when and how to end. It's like The Dark Knight quote, you either die a good story or you live long enough to see yourself become a bad one.

Nothing good would come out of prolonging the Bhaalspawn saga. And if BG3 is completely unrelated, then it's just cashing on the name."

No.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

BG3? That's PREPOSTEROUS! Now... BG5? Keep talking, I'm listening...

8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Gotta say I liked George Ziets's ideas for a BG3.

[ http://new.spring.me/#!/GZiets/q/414930203056307948 ]

Can't load up the page (even copying and pasting the link) but if it's the same as the one he described here:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/110494-george-ziets-describes-how-hed-approach-baldurs-gate-iii.html

then yeah - that'd be a cool game.

Having said that - I think the story ended when it should have.

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I agree George Ziets's ideas for a BG3 is looking great at last something new.

Yeah but definetely not on D&D rules

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

City of doors is awesome. Sigil is such a unique place with so many possibilities you can create dozens of campaigns alone in the city and surroundings. But a divine level BG3 wouldnt be my interest. IF anyone ever does a BG3 please start from level 1 thank you and let us go on another epic adventure with new tales to experience. Dark Queens of Krynn was an end of a legendary game and so was pools of darkness i recall. It´s over once you have completed a story and dont force yourself into something that could feel like an "excuse"....

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

Playing as a god would be something unique,  if the game really has an unconventional appraoch to everything, that somehow conveys your divinity. And a "deep", "philosophical" plot, like the game series grows up with you. Still, probably hard to do justice to it, at least for hyper-nostalgic fanboys like me. 

Edited by Iucounu
  • Like 1

Playing as a god would be something unique,  if the game really has an unconventional appraoch to everything, that somehow conveys your divinity. And a "deep", "philosophical" plot, like the game series grows up with you. Still, probably hard to do justice to it, at least for hyper-nostalgic fanboys like me. 

I think the real tricky issue would be that it would be an entirely different game from the first two. Deities play on a different level than even epic level adventurers, and fight for different stakes.

How would you design combat? The only thing that could seriously threaten you is another deity. Things like armor class and hit points and spellbooks would almost certainly be but a quaint memory for a PC who is literally a god. 

What about party members? Would the player travel with the more powerful of his/her new worshippers? Other deities? Or would the game be played solo, since realistically there isn't anything but another deity who could add much to combat when fighting alongside you? 

Typical RPG gameplay would change from finding cool new loot and gaining levels to finding worshippers and a portfolio which you can embody. Slashing your way through hordes of enemies would still be possible, I suppose, but almost certainly absurdly easy and pointless for a divinity. 

All of the above could be an epic and awesome game, and I'd be only to happy to try it if it were made, but it sounds more like Populous than Baldur's Gate.  

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi

I think the real tricky issue would be that it would be an entirely different game from the first two. Deities play on a different level than even epic level adventurers, and fight for different stakes.

How would you design combat? The only thing that could seriously threaten you is another deity. Things like armor class and hit points and spellbooks would almost certainly be but a quaint memory for a PC who is literally a god. 

What about party members? Would the player travel with the more powerful of his/her new worshippers? Other deities? Or would the game be played solo, since realistically there isn't anything but another deity who could add much to combat when fighting alongside you? 

Typical RPG gameplay would change from finding cool new loot and gaining levels to finding worshippers and a portfolio which you can embody. Slashing your way through hordes of enemies would still be possible, I suppose, but almost certainly absurdly easy and pointless for a divinity. 

All of the above could be an epic and awesome game, and I'd be only to happy to try it if it were made, but it sounds more like Populous than Baldur's Gate.  

^ I think part of the idea was that you would create avatars and go adventuring to  get followers - the more followers you got, the stronger the avatars you could create.

So for much of the game, you couldn't die permanently but your avatar could be destroyed.  You'd be a level (x) (class of choice) while in avatar form.

There would be some later battles on deity level, I think.

(They may have to add in a reason that cyric doesn't just come and fight you right away - maybe it's forbidden to attack a new deity for 3 months or so, *shrug*, or the other deities come to your aid at first)

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

FR deities are weird though, so I think it wouldn't be your run of the mill godsim. As for companions, I'd have them be your various divine allies and servants. Kelemvor is served by Jergal, more than a few evil gods have Pit Fiends and the like on retainer, etc.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I'm afraid at this point, the only thing that will live on is the name.  Just like it what happened with fallout 3.  The game is basically a different game. Besides most of the talents now work in different companies. Not to mention licensing hell.  That's why there is pillars of eternity. I'm pretty sure they tried to revive the series but the closest thing we got so far was Dragon age: origins and divinity: original sin. 

P.S. I notice how similar those two titles are.

Edited by ryukenden

I'd rather see an updated NWN2 done right... along with a builder's toolset. It's still the best game around for party-based D&D CRPG module building.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Aren't people responsible for the enhanced editions of BG 1 & 2 already planning on developing something that they would like to call BG 3?

Either way, this whole BG 3 idea seems pointless to me.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

The only reason at this point to make a BG3 is to cash in on the name of a beloved franchise, Fallout-style. No thanks.

Well, not quite same, Fallout is universe where can be 10+ stories told, but not by Bethe$da. BG is not Forgotten realms

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The only reason at this point to make a BG3 is to cash in on the name of a beloved franchise, Fallout-style. No thanks.

Fallout: New Vegas was imho the closest thing to original Fallouts (and Van Buren) that you can get, it had that feel, while Fallout 3 was just a money-making-machine. For me NV *is* number 3. Although in Fallout franchise it is easier to make a new story not related to the previous protagonists - it usually makes sense. A hypothetical Baldur's Gate 3 would be equally silly if it was about the same Charname Bhaalspawn (a demigod who fought for the Throne of Bhaal, ffs) or if it was about a brand new character.

Well, maybe a son/daughter of Imoen perhaps.... NO, totally not.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...