Movies you've seen recently

Tale

lol, dont get me wrong, I love ridley scott (when he's on his "A" game)

blade runner and alien are two of my favorite films of all time ever. legend, gladiator, and black hawk down are all great too. but we fans of mr scott cannot kid ourselves, he's made some stinkers too.

me too, love ridley scott. :geek:

lol, dont get me wrong, I love ridley scott (when he's on his "A" game)

blade runner and alien are two of my favorite films of all time ever. legend, gladiator, and black hawk down are all great too. but we fans of mr scott cannot kid ourselves, he's made some stinkers too.

me too, love ridley scott. :geek:

Aside from Legend I've thoroughly enjoyed all his movies.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Got pre-premiere tickets to skyfall on thursday... Thanks american express platinum! ;P

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Machine Gun Preacher.

300, Gamer, this movie....I'm starting to wonder if Gerard Butler has more than one expression.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That depends how far you are into "Joss-Whedon-Is-God" perspective.. :dancing:

He's put in a fair few in-jokes and nods to fans if you're that aware of the history, and frankly the sequence between Hulk and Loki could almost make the entire movie worthwhile on its own.

It's got a couple of chuckle out loud moments spun in it, Scarlett Johanssen in a bodysuit (if you enjoy that, which a lot of folks do), Chris Hemsworth & Chris Evans flexing biceps and pecks (for the other side of the crowd's enjoyment), Robert Downey Jnr providing a few snerkworthy lines of dialogue, Mark Ruffalo performs a low-key but nerded out philosophical Bruce Banner...

It's hard to really provide much focus on any specific character in that sort of large gathering, but Whedon managed to balance it all fairly well.

You get about a quarter of the film spent in set up and gathering the group, half the film of them interacting and annoying each other to various degrees with villain plotting along, and then the final quarter of big battle when they've figured things out.

It was entertaining to watch and most people I know who've seen it felt the same way.

Just watched it, nothing more or less than what I expected: a superhero comic movie. Iron Man is the only superhero comic I ever liked for reasons that feminists wouldn't object to, but it had some fun action scenes and that's really all that these movies exist for. Tony Stark could have used more screentime and dialogue, though. I mean, come on. It's Tony Stark.

Machine Gun Preacher.

Is it good? Trailer looks rather preachy.

Well...if you went in not knowing anything at all about the situation or the real-life person it's highlighting, it's an ok action-drama, with some effective moments, but also some cardboard thin characters and side-arcs that go nowhere. If you do know more, then it might seem a little too exploitative and unbelievable. I didn't find it all that preachy, however.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First two episodes of 2nd season of "Sherlock:" pretty cool. Liked Hound better than the Adler one...so far think the 1st season was a little better.

First two episodes of CBS series "Elementary:" it's ok. Watson being a woman didn't annoy me quite as much as I thought it might, but I'm still not really digging it. Feels more like a regular ol' US crime procedural except you have very loose Holmes and Watson chrs. eg, it doesn't feel like Sherlock, to me. Which oddly, makes me view it more leniently I guess. Probably won't watch it much tho.

First two episodes of 2nd season of "Sherlock:" pretty cool. Liked Hound better than the Adler one...so far think the 1st season was a little better.

First two episodes of CBS series "Elementary:" it's ok. Watson being a woman didn't annoy me quite as much as I thought it might, but I'm still not really digging it. Feels more like a regular ol' US crime procedural except you have very loose Holmes and Watson chrs. eg, it doesn't feel like Sherlock, to me. Which oddly, makes me view it more leniently I guess. Probably won't watch it much tho.

I love Sherlock.. I will go in a Moriarty inspired rampage if they don't finish season 3 soon.

I've been watching Elementary too (sort of hoping to get my fix actually) it seems that hasn't really stepped into his own narrative. The characters do seem like quirky versions of the originals and the cases have been unimpressive. I'm hoping that they will find their beat.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Finished the 3rd Sherlock series. The last was the best one....the ending was pretty cool, altho personally I think they went a tiny bit overboard with making Moriarty a stereotyped modern psychotic type...could have reined that in just a bit while still making him not as stuffy as in the stories. Watson's stuff at the end almost made me sniffly. Almost. These two characters ... I just love their dynamic together. The series/actors capture that aspect of the stories pretty well I think.

I remember one of the original written stories, where Watson gets grazed by a bullet and goes down, and Holmes runs to him in concerned fear.... "It was worth many wounds..." - Bromance at its finest.

Haven't been to a real theater in several years. Can't stand those loud ads blasting at you for fifteen minutes straight. (Unfortunately I have really good hearing and I can't tune it out, even with earplugs.) Grumble, grumble, ...

The last bluray I picked up that I really enjoyed was Outlander. It's a fun popcorn movie and I've watched it several times since.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Skyfall was genius. Or more like it straddled that fine line between genius and insanity (I like to think I'm familiar with it) and tipped more on the side of genius (I'm less sure about that in my case). :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Late night last night I tried to watch the film Act of Valor. The first few minutes was ok, and then what I assume are the "real military dudes" started doing their acting chores. They weren't the worst or anything, but .... yeah, there's a reason why there are professional actors. I tried skipping forward through the movie a bit, and in every scene the wooden delivery of dialogue just made me wince. I had to turn it off. Maybe I'll try again someday.

Well it's not watered down. That's good. That was my main complaint about Army of Darkness.

I liked AoD as light comedy, but yeah...outside of giggling at Bruce Campbell, it wasn't my ideal for the series.

Saw the 1959 "Hound of the Baskervilles" film the other day. One of those films I saw ages ago but barely remembered. I often have difficulty with older movies because of the very different style of pacing/acting, but it was ok. Peter Cushing did fine as Sherlock and I did like Christopher Lee as Sir Henry.

Finished the 3rd Sherlock series. The last was the best one....the ending was pretty cool, altho personally I think they went a tiny bit overboard with making Moriarty a stereotyped modern psychotic type...could have reined that in just a bit while still making him not as stuffy as in the stories. Watson's stuff at the end almost made me sniffly. Almost. These two characters ... I just love their dynamic together. The series/actors capture that aspect of the stories pretty well I think.

I remember one of the original written stories, where Watson gets grazed by a bullet and goes down, and Holmes runs to him in concerned fear.... "It was worth many wounds..." - Bromance at its finest.

season 3 is out!?

I'll be back.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I've had Lo Pan Style going around and around in my head so much I swear I'm going to have to put in Big Trouble in Little China on the dvd this week.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

season 3 is out!?

I'll be back.

Oh, no, it's not out yet. Apologies. :(

That must have been a typo on my part. Either that or I was thinking "the 3rd episode of ..." and the brain to finger/typing translation process became garbled. :lol:

• Like 1

season 3 is out!?

I'll be back.

Oh, no, it's not out yet. Apologies. :(

That must have been a typo on my part. Either that or I was thinking "the 3rd episode of ..." and the brain to finger/typing translation process became garbled. :lol:

You just made someone's life a little sadder. Shame on you. :p

village_idiot.gif

...just saw Prometheus...as a large fan o' both Alien an' Aliens (an' absolutely hated the other two), was pretty impressed wit' the loose origin story...

...also, an Evil Dead remake made me very sad, 'til I saw the trailer...looks decent, surprisin'ly...an dunna diss Army o' Darkness; was freakin' hilarious an' provided the voicework fer most o' me ol' IE game main characters... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I recently saw Salmon fishing in the Yemen, pretty good, even if it is a romantic comedy. Ewan McGregor's range keeps impressing me more and more.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.