Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Per Wiki, hes just a regular guy but she was given the Red Skull's version of the super soldier serum which imparted some abilities.

That makes more sense for her, then. I guess I can let the arrow guy pass since he's good eye candy. :-

I do actually like the bow effects they were using and his seeming mystical ability to calculate/accurately hit a very fast moving target when he was barely even looking in their direction. I started to have the feeling he had special homing arrows or something. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Per Wiki, hes just a regular guy but she was given the Red Skull's version of the super soldier serum which imparted some abilities.

That makes more sense for her, then. I guess I can let the arrow guy pass since he's good eye candy. :-

I do actually like the bow effects they were using and his seeming mystical ability to calculate/accurately hit a very fast moving target when he was barely even looking in their direction. I started to have the feeling he had special homing arrows or something. ;)

i54bH4wrzC1s2.gif

That depends how far you are into "Joss-Whedon-Is-God" perspective.. :dancing:

He's put in a fair few in-jokes and nods to fans if you're that aware of the history, and frankly the sequence between Hulk and Loki could almost make the entire movie worthwhile on its own.

It's got a couple of chuckle out loud moments spun in it, Scarlett Johanssen in a bodysuit (if you enjoy that, which a lot of folks do), Chris Hemsworth & Chris Evans flexing biceps and pecks (for the other side of the crowd's enjoyment), Robert Downey Jnr providing a few snerkworthy lines of dialogue, Mark Ruffalo performs a low-key but nerded out philosophical Bruce Banner...

It's hard to really provide much focus on any specific character in that sort of large gathering, but Whedon managed to balance it all fairly well.

You get about a quarter of the film spent in set up and gathering the group, half the film of them interacting and annoying each other to various degrees with villain plotting along, and then the final quarter of big battle when they've figured things out.

It was entertaining to watch and most people I know who've seen it felt the same way.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Is the movie worth to be watched? I remember that at least Thor and Captain America were more meh-movies.

If you thought those were watchable, you will probably enjoy The Avengers.

Joss Whedon also makes his mark, with improved dialogue being the main difference between this film and all the individual ones.

So I just watched Clockwork Orange. Pretty good movie, but also very strange. I can see this being done on stage in theater as well... well, the whole movie felt like that to me.

Got the urge to listen to some hardcore Ludwig van now.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Also watched The Avengers now. Beginning was a bit slow, but generally I think the movie was good, except for a few silly moments. The scene with Hulk vs. Loki was hilarious, also the scene after the credits. I like such stuff, as I usually also like to watch the credits of a movie. It is like a little bonus.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Watched Looper.

It's some nice performances in it, but the temporal causality / paradox issue is just a bit... meh.

One of the things that every Looper (hitman) knows its that at some point his future self (30 years in the future) will be sent back for him to kill and get a mass payday to live life as he wants until it happens. I mean, I know there's no forward thinking, but you'd expect it would make more sense to send the future selves of these hitmen to one of the others, just to make sure there's no problem with it happening...

Also, the crime syndicate sends someone back in time to run things, why the hell aren't they worried he's going to use his knowledge to set it up so he's in control in the future?

That and it's yet another time travel story where

the only way out is to commit suicide.

Either it's me, or thats cropping up more often these days. I'm sure it's a cliche now.

Lord of War Good flick and I always seem to enjoy Cage's movies. (Except for Wicker Man) *shakes fist*

You'll hate WICKER MAN more if you've ever seen and appreciated the original film.

I watched DOCTOR NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE over the weekend as I'm making my way through Bond films in the lead-up to Skyfall (plus its been ages since I've seen most of them).

Also re-watched TRON: LEGACY. The middle section which didn't seem so long first time around seemed a lot longer this time.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Prometheus: Visually glorious in some places. David the 'droid was great. Main female lead was ok (husbands comment:"Apparently in the future, they gave up underwear and bras for cloth bandages."). The rest of the cast had little to do/I didn't care about them at all. I felt more empathy for John Hurt, Tom Skerritt, and Harry Dean Stanton in Alien than any of the people in Prometheus.

It's actually not a terrible movie, except towards the end where it kind of jolts you out of the mood it tried so hard to initially create by becoming more of a boo-monster flick. Might've worked better if they'd just left that out more.

My main problem with the film was that there were too many moments where I started thinking about Star Trek V. :getlost:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

LadyCrimson, what was your take on the opening scene? Was it a WMD test on an alien world?

Hm. Do you mean that he wasn't actually on Earth in that scene? That one hadn't occurred to me, actually. By the end of the film I had concocted an elaborate theory that there were two "factions" (or something) of Engineers...one more peaceful, one more violent, and that the latter (that the crew encountered) was bent on destroying the former's work/tests for some reason.

The ship designs being very different, and then the timespan of first creating the life only to test-destroy it (millions of years) makes WMD-test only seem a bit of a stretch, unless they're so long-lived that that's only like a year to them. :)

Watching Wing Commander. I have no idea why

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Grey - I love Liam Neeson, and the acting was decent in this film, but in the end it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be and turned out as a crappy horror flick. Kind of a shame, really.

Get the Gringo - Mel Gibson in a role similar to Payback, but set in a Mexican prison. It had some real good parts, but also really lame parts. Worth a rental if you liked Payback, I suppose.

The season opener of The Walking Dead was most excellent. Lots of zombies/action, made some chr./plot points & hints without tons of filler...good set up for what's to come I think. Hopefully it'll stay in gear and not turn into a snore-filled dead zone of a mid-season like last year.

I liked the opener for the Walking Dead as well. The scene near the end with the leg thingy made my wife cringe. And she wasn't even watching it.

Finally finished the first season of Homeland, and watched the first two episodes of the second season. It's a horribly slow buildup, but once it gets going, it really sucks you in.

I'm about to make myself some fish and chips and watch the first three episodes of the final season of Fringe.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Hm, I've realised I've let a huge amount of tv shows stack up that I meant to get around to watching.

The last 3 seasons of Fringe, the last season of Nikita, ditto on Supernatural, and Haven... a few others scattered around.

Finally managed to sit down and catch the final season of Eureka the other week. I have to admit, that had an odd sort of ending. Wasn't so much any particular wrap-up to life, more just a "and now we're back to normal and waiting for the next usual disaster" type of thing.

I liked the opener for the Walking Dead as well. The scene near the end with the leg thingy made my wife cringe. And she wasn't even watching it.

Finally finished the first season of Homeland, and watched the first two episodes of the second season. It's a horribly slow buildup, but once it gets going, it really sucks you in.

I'm about to make myself some fish and chips and watch the first three episodes of the final season of Fringe.

So far I'm not huge on this season. It feels like an entirely different show. Its shot different with different filters and the procedural/mystery element is gone.

Got my season sets of Todd and the book of pure evil. Awesome show, and Todd's sidekick looks kind of like a young Feargus. Its about a bunch of high school kids on a quest to find a book that grants wishes in the worst way possible. For example, gay guy tormented by jocks wishes they could see how it felt to be gay. Book turns every dude in school gay and the gay guy straight, so now he's the straight guy tormented by gay jocks.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg