Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Breaking Bad's final season (part 1...part2 next year, sigh) has been pretty awesome so far. A lot better than last year, imo, where it was kind of annoying/slow for many episodes until near the very end.

Fun to speculate on how it will all end, especially with that Eps.1 future-opening. Only thing I'm pretty sure about (but not 100%) is that Walt's cancer will come back - but that could be too obvious, so maybe Vince G. will surprise us. Other than that .... sheesh I dunno. Will Walt find a smidgen of compassion/redemption at the end or has he gone so "Bad" that redemption is impossible? And Jessie? Oh man, the way he's gone from stupid/annoying to the awesome (but still kinda stupid) over the seasons is marvelous. Walt/Jessie combo are a great chr. pair arc. It's almost tragic.

Also, from the most recent episode:

Dang it, not Mike! I was hoping he'd be able to just leave the country and disappear..he was an awesome character. *shakes fist at Evil Walt*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think Walt is too far gone to hope for any type of redemption.

Well he's not looking for redemption by societal standards, just his own. Going down in a blaze may be enough for him.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well he's not looking for redemption by societal standards, just his own. Going down in a blaze may be enough for him.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. More like...say...during an attempt to save someone else that he remembers he cares about (besides himself) even if he doesn't absolutely have to. Doesn't erase what he's become/what he's done by any means, but that sort of smidgen of emotional redemption. But could also just be a defiant Butch Cassidy-Sundance Kid moment.

Watched Side by Side, the documentary about celluloid film vs. digital (in terms of movie shooting format) with Keanu Reeves narrating and interviewing a bunch of famous people on the topic. I don't think Reeves makes an awesome interviewer, but it's an interesting topic and what the interviewees have to say was even more so. I liked it quite a bit.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Date night last night, the missus decided that we'd watch the Expendables, think she's still got a girlish crush on Stallone. A man with that much plastic surgery should really not try to grow facial hair however.

My thoughts on the movie, i'm seriously contemplating divorce and wondering if being forced to watch it would count as cruel and unusual behaviour.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"Girl wants to watch the Expendables, boy whines and complains."

Yes, you should divorce her. She's obviously much too good for you.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Thank you I haven't been called a boy in oh must be thirty years now, seriously though it's one of the worst pieces of cinema my buttocks have ever fallen asleep to. Then again I did fall asleep during the airport scene for a bit, I assume there were some more explosions and painful dialogue.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Battleship.

Yes, I knew going in it was going to be terrible, but I figured it would at least have some fun action scenes or something. I was wrong. Film lacked narrative focus of any kind and even the action stuff felt kinda unimpressive. Altho, the bit where they tried to make it like the board game was slightly amusing. Wanted to be some alien-invasion epic ala ID4 I guess, but total fail. Even Transformers was actually better.

It was, however, kinda funny seeing "Todd" from Breaking Bad in there. I've never seen or heard of Friday Night Lights until I looked up Todd from B.Bad, so I guess that's where Taylor Kitsch comes from too. Poor Taylor. Hope he finds some better (or at least more popular) movies to be in or his career is going to go nowhere fast.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I finally got around to seeing The Fighter. It was pretty good, although for some reason I think I'm getting a little sick of Christian Bale. Even though he was wicked awesome in that role.

Currently three quarters of the way through season five of True Blood. It's so bad, it's good.

And I'm slowly making it through the debut season of Homeland. It's really entertaining, and I like how the story is progressing.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm starting to get turned off of True Blood. After the Guardian got killed slowly while the rest of the vampire leadership looked on without lifting a finger I was like "Ok, shark officially jumped" and I was right, it just gets worse and worse as season 5 goes on.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

A sad track record of half watch and two-third watched movies on the plane from Singapore to Brisbane. I saw two-thirds of "Battleship", then I couldn't stand it anymore. It would have made more sense to do it as a cartoon. Then I saw half of Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Not a bad movie, but I couldn't relate to any of the characters and it's a movie that relies a lot on empathy (imnsho). Decided to re-watch something that I had seen on the way out and watched Avatar once more. Ok flick to watch for free, but not something I would buy on DVD/BD.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Breaking Bad: Yup....I think Walt at least wants to be back on the track of "breaking good" (well, not good, but at least not doing anymore bad) but, of course, I'm sure life won't let him. But we'll have to wait until the next 8 episodes next summer to find out. Damn AMC for splitting it up. The last episode of this year was deliberately slow paced, with lots of subtle details/references if you catch them, but the last 5 seconds had you going "omg, finally that" with all kinds of theoretical possibilities flying through your mind. Loved it. Wanna know what happens next now. :(

It's been interesting how time has sped up for season 5. The first 4 seasons appear to take place in approx a year's span, while Season5 seems to be covering almost a year on its own. And oh Jessie, how you've gone from a chr. that annoyed me most of the time to one that breaks my heart .... brilliant.

Breaking Bad: Yup....I think Walt at least wants to be back on the track of "breaking good" (well, not good, but at least not doing anymore bad) but, of course, I'm sure life won't let him. But we'll have to wait until the next 8 episodes next summer to find out. Damn AMC for splitting it up. The last episode of this year was deliberately slow paced, with lots of subtle details/references if you catch them, but the last 5 seconds had you going "omg, finally that" with all kinds of theoretical possibilities flying through your mind. Loved it. Wanna know what happens next now. :(

It's been interesting how time has sped up for season 5. The first 4 seasons appear to take place in approx a year's span, while Season5 seems to be covering almost a year on its own. And oh Jessie, how you've gone from a chr. that annoyed me most of the time to one that breaks my heart .... brilliant.

I thought the episode was really well done. From the Crystal Blue Persuasion song being played during a cook to the graphicness of the prison scenes, I loved it.

The change in Walter was kind of shocking, though. Well, maybe more dissapointing than shocking, for me. Part of what has kept me interested in this show has been the level that Heisenberg has operated at for the past two seasons plus. For that time it's really seemed like Walt is just a cover for his true, completely evil, counterpart. At least to me. It's gone from 'I'm doing this for my family' to 'I'm doing this...because I like it'.

Either way, I wish that there was some higher honor that Bryan Cranston could get for the show. I knew he was a great actor before. His X-Files appearance from 10 or 15 years ago (was it longer? I'm getting old) told me he had some chops. I just didn't realize he was brilliant.

I've been finding it harder and harder to find television shows that I can really get behind, and get excited to watch. There will be a void left when BB is done. Even some of the newer shows that I've enjoyed getting into lately, like Homeland, Hell On Wheels, and Strike Back have been good, but none of them seem to be an absolute must-watch-before-the-suspense-kills-me kind.

And I saw a trailer for the Governators latest flick the other day. Just quit, dude. Clint Eastwood can pull off the aging leading man because he's Clint Eastwood. And can act.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

And I saw a trailer for the Governators latest flick the other day. Just quit, dude. Clint Eastwood can pull off the aging leading man because he's Clint Eastwood. And can act.

Arnie just needs to move into slightly less "explosive" action films. I mean, it's not like Eastwood tries to do "kill everyone with my mini-gun as I run and jump from buildings" type movies. Hard to compare them really. Arnie's more in the Stallone category, and imo, he's always been way above Stallone (Rocky1 the exception)

I dunno....watching Arnie mock his old age while killing dozens of villains in over the top ways, spouting one-liners as he goes....I'd still find that entertaining. In the right movie. That said, I don't know if The Last Stand is that movie. Hard to tell from a trailer sometimes, but it impresses me as a sort of tongue in cheek action film.

I always thought Clint Eastwood should and could do another Dirty Harry movie. It would be pretty much like Gran Torino, just with him additionally shooting a few punks here and there.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Hop - well, the Pink Beret's were kinda cute. But every time the grumpy chick-bird who wants to be the new Easter Bunny opened his mouth, I thought about dancing penguins (Happy Feet). :lol:

I always thought Clint Eastwood should and could do another Dirty Harry movie. It would be pretty much like Gran Torino, just with him additionally shooting a few punks here and there.

Gran Torino is the Dirty Harry in retirement movie. Ok, maybe not officially, but...yeah.

Eastwood is one of the few "stars" where I'll be in a sad funk when he finally passes. I want him to live forever.

The Avengers. Actually the first 20 minutes, that's how much I could stand before reaching for the remote

Also: Metropolis (anime) - exceptionally well drawn, storyline is muddled garbage

Men in Black 3 - it doesn't have the charm of the first one, but its quite enjoyable

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Wild Target.

Bill Nighy as a Master Class Assassin pondering retirement, who suddenly finds himself falling for his latest target, a slightly kooky thief (played by Emma Blunt). Then ends up becoming her protector, whilst eluding the sadistic assassin played by Martin Freeman and sent by Rupert Everett.. Along the way they also pick up Rupert Grint's out of work youth who ends up becoming an apprentice...

Of course, both the thief and the "apprentice" believe him to be a private detective of some sort, and all the while he's trying to kill off the other hitmen coming after them..

A nice little british comedy with some unconventional romance in the background.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."