Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Space Jesus? That's just silly.

I always thought when the Engineer was touching David, he figured he was an android, thus enraging him because their own creations dared to create their own little image as well. Maybe he should have touched Weyland first, and everything could have turned out more...civilized. But hey, where would that leave Prometheus 2 then? I think neither Ridley, nor Lindelof or Spaiths really knew exactly how this whole thing was supposed to unravel. The movie wasn't really so much about plot cohesion, but about making people wonder what's next and why and this and that. Okay, mission succesful. The next screenwriter certainly has a lot of holes and answers to fill though.

Edited by Morgoth

That first episode of Revolution was fairly disappointing, even tho I'm willing to suspend disbelief on the physics angle.

The female lead acts like a spoiled whiny brat out of Twilight and her brother isn't much better, making them unsympathetic. Miles character feels like a mix of O'Neill of SG-1 and MacGyver. The scene transitions are abrupt and leave you not caring about characters or motivations. The mystery set-up reveal at the end was not a surprise. Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad) is the only redeeming thing so far, and even that's a bit thin given the material. The fight action wasn't bad, but on the other hand was pretty ludicrous. I did, however, enjoy/giggle when two guys were trying to reload their front-loading muskets.

I'll give it a few episodes to turn around but yeah ... kind of a mess.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The trailer for revolution didn't grab me, so I skipped it. I haven't heard from anyone yet any reason to feel like I missed anything.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Revolution is the one about all the power going out and nobody being able to get electricity working again and so society goes pre-AC/DC.

at least that's what the trailer looked like.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've recently been watching through a Top-50 list of one finnish movie site, and the 5 most recent being:

1. Once upon a time in America

2. Schindler's List

3. Forrest Gump

4. Blade Runner

5. Apocalypse. Now.

All great movies, which I won't mind to watch again for a few times in the future.

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

I watched Dredd over the weekend. It was pretty good; liked how they forshadowed a lot of what happened AND gave an excuse for the use of slow-motion in action sequences within the story.

• Like 1

What? You didn't like Cabin in the Woods?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

How about awesome-ish till the end, made better in the end because they didn't take the "good" route?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

watched Dredd on Saturday. Very much enjoyed it. Sadly my theatre didn't have any 2d screenings so I had to watch it in 3d. Too bad there won't be a sequel. Producers said 50 million domestic would get a sequel, it made 6 its opening weekend.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

watched Dredd on Saturday. Very much enjoyed it. Sadly my theatre didn't have any 2d screenings so I had to watch it in 3d. Too bad there won't be a sequel. Producers said 50 million domestic would get a sequel, it made 6 its opening weekend.

Week last couple of weeks in the US Boxoffice + a deserved R rating was probably stacking the odds against the film a good bit.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that the Stallone film from a 17 years back really had any effect which I've heard some people mention. I also gather from what I've read of US critics that they largely didn't get it.

Week last couple of weeks in the US Boxoffice + a deserved R rating was probably stacking the odds against the film a good bit.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that the Stallone film from a 17 years back really had any effect which I've heard some people mention. I also gather from what I've read of US critics that they largely didn't get it.

I don't see why they wouldn't get it, its not rocket science. I haven't even read the comics and I get it. Last I checked it had a 77% on rotten tomatoes, so largely favorable reviews. Still sad that a 3d re-release of a 10 year old movie gets more money than it though. Throw it in the pile of movies that deserved more money with Serenity.

Really sad thing was it debuted in the UK at number one. Making 1 million pounds. Do Brits just not go to the movies?

Devastatorsig.jpg

Watched the 1957 Frank Tashlin movie Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? Sharp, satirical and maybe even a little subversive, with a sort of self-parodying, yet signature performance by Jayne Mansfield. Had fun watching it, and it looks like the principals had fun making it, with a healthy dose of playing with the fourth wall.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Really sad thing was it debuted in the UK at number one. Making 1 million pounds. Do Brits just not go to the movies?

Not so much of late. The cinemas charge around £9 for a basic adult ticket nowadays. So about $15. Add ridiculously overcharged popcorn/drinks... Throw in a summer of really good weather, and most folks have been staying out rather then going in places like the cinema.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I watched three movies by Kurosawa this weekend:

- Yojimbo (whoa!)

- The Seven Samurai (magnificent!)

- Rashomon (wonderful!)

The man is like Kubrick, he could not make a bad movie. Or at least i haven't seen a mediocre one, let alone a bad one by him yet.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe you should buy this set then. :)

I'm not a huge follower of samurai films so his more modern-set work interests me more: the likes of High and Low and Drunken Angel. But then I like film-noir in general, and this is about as close as you can get to Japanese noir, so it's only natural.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Not so much of late. The cinemas charge around £9 for a basic adult ticket nowadays. So about $15. Add ridiculously overcharged popcorn/drinks... Throw in a summer of really good weather, and most folks have been staying out rather then going in places like the cinema.

Yeah its between 10-15 bucks here too. North American box office this weekend was considered terrible, and there was still pretty much a 3 way race for number one at about 13 million each, and the number one movie in the UK made about as much as the #10 movie in North America. Crazy. Shows the difference in cultures. NA obviously much more media driven.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Maybe you should buy this set then. :)

I'm not a huge follower of samurai films so his more modern-set work interests me more: the likes of High and Low and Drunken Angel. But then I like film-noir in general, and this is about as close as you can get to Japanese noir, so it's only natural.

That was exactly what i was looking for, thank you so much!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I actually managed to watch Yojimbo on the big screen a couple of years back. One of the local "artsy" cinemas ran a season of foreign films and they did a whole bunch of Akira Kurosawa...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."