Future of the Dragon Age franchise

MrBrown

Apart from that, I can't help but feel you're answering somebody else, as it has nothing to do with what I was saying (the core problem with ME3's ending being that it sucks, and not really that differently from FO3, artistic pretensions notwithstanding).

I was responding to Deathdealer's above post where he feels its a great idea to hide the "real" ending until weeks down the road and then springing it will rewrite gaming history. My positon is that it is not a good idea as most users will never get to know the "real" ending because they are not forum dwellers. Im not sure what you were responding to initially if not that.

Apart from that, I can't help but feel you're answering somebody else, as it has nothing to do with what I was saying (the core problem with ME3's ending being that it sucks, and not really that differently from FO3, artistic pretensions notwithstanding).

I was responding to Deathdealer's above post where he feels its a great idea to hide the "real" ending until weeks down the road and then springing it will rewrite gaming history. My positon is that it is not a good idea as most users will never get to know the "real" ending because they are not forum dwellers. Im not sure what you were responding to initially if not that.

oright. I think you underestimate the amount of people who still get plenty of information about games without being "forum dwellers", though. It sure would rewrite gaming history, but considering the gamestop-induced lifespan games have these days... sigh.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

FO3 was just one game. In case of ME3, the outrage is so great because it's the ending to a trilogy that was always about feel-good space opera and overcoming against all odds... and the actual ending just throws everything out of the window.

I can't really think of another game series that ends on such a sour note. Maybe Broken Sword 4.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

But Broken Sword 4 wasn't meant to be the end of the line as far as I know - doubly so now that Broken Sword 5 is likely to be released this year thanks to the success of the remastered predecessors. Further, BS4 was outsourced for the most part to another developer I think.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

re-writing the ending of anything is, imo, worse than writing a bad ending to begin with. (if video games want to be taken seriously - if they don't... well then who cares anyway, it was a stupid story about space robots)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

re-writing the ending of anything is, imo, worse than writing a bad ending to begin with. (if video games want to be taken seriously - if they don't... well then who cares anyway, it was a stupid story about space robots)

Well, as someone pointed out on RPS, Blade Runners Directors Cut did rewrite itself. Don't know how valid this claim is though, might be someone here that has seen both versions.

That said, I do agree with your point. Rewriting the ending is a really bad idea.

I really find it funny to read all the peoples wishful thinking and denial-fu theories about what the ending really is. Just so that they can feel good about the ending!

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Blade runner is interesting to debate. There is more than two versions out there...I'd have to look at my disks, but I think there are at least 3 to 4 versions. The Theatrical, the Directors, and the Final. I personally like the Theatrical best. Maybe it's because I like monologues...or perhaps maybe I am simply a sucker for happy endings.

I remember watching another version with my wife, the elevator closes and the movie ends and she says...that's it? I grinned (still liked it...have no fear), and...dare I say it...mocked her? Okay...didn't exactly mock her...simply said yes, and went to finish my popcorn in another room.

I don't think it really rewrote itself. It added to the idea that the main character was a replicant himself. It doesn't conclusively state that however, so there's "Lots of speculation for everyone."

:w00t:

I have all the versions of Blade Runner (except the unedited studio version obviously) and its not a good comparison. Ridley Scott was forced to implement things he didn't want to. First chance he got to do it, he cut that material out, mainly a clear happy ending and Ford's monologue (which Ford himself hated too). To put it bluntly its a case of suits hijacking the creative process and the artist reclaiming his work.

Besides BR was a financial flop so its hard to argue that the changes were made to sell the movie or please the fans. The man wanted to see his vision through and it paid off (unexpectedly) in the end.

ME3's original creators simply screwed up their own work and its arguable they didn't even have a vision to begin with. That's all there is to it.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

"ME's original creators simply screwed up their own work. That's all there is to it. "

Except the original ME writer or whatever has stated quite clearly that his planned ending is different then the one the game actually has so obviously what you just wrote is wrong. (this has nothiong to do qiath the quality (or lack of quality).

P.S. the 'suits' can't 'hijack' soemthing, btw, that they are paying for. If you want ultimate creative cotnrol, pay up or shut up.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Except the original ME writer or whatever has stated quite clearly that his planned ending is different then the one the game actually has so obviously what you just wrote is wrong. (this has nothiong to do qiath the quality (or lack of quality).

Where?

Ah you're referring to the typo. I forgot the 3.

Besides, it doesn't change anything - someone or other from BW openly admitted that they never thought the ending out and only had concepts they wanted to implement.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

There is nothing good about indoctrination theory. It is still a terrible ending. Probably worse, because it's not an ending at all. It's just "rocks fall, everyone dies" outside the boss room. Except maybe you survive the rocks and it fades to black.

Except the indoctrination theory is not a true ending. It's a cliff hanger that the next DLC/game content continues.

• Like 1
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Ecept he original one uin charge did have a planned ending but he got moved to KOTOR MMO than left then the ending got changed. So.. the big wigs did 'intervre' in the original vision.

GAME OVER, man, GAME OVER.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This isn't the Mass Effect thead. Mass Effect and Dragon Age have two different teams. With two different budgets.

So, Dragon Age III? Can I assume I'm the only one here who's looking forward to it?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm interested, but not sure I'm looking forward to it. If it'll be of what DAII offered, I think I'll pass. If it's more like Origins then I'll probably get it.

This...

Never cared much for the setting, but the first game had other things going for it. If they return to that, I might be able to muster a bit of interest.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm interested, but not sure I'm looking forward to it. If it'll be of what DAII offered, I think I'll pass. If it's more like Origins then I'll probably get it.

This...

Never cared much for the setting, but the first game had other things going for it. If they return to that, I might be able to muster a bit of interest.

I'm in agreement.

Although the chances that tactical combat and real exploring are going to make a comeback are very slim.

So, Bhaalspawn Godchild protagonist?

(would be bitter, considering I sent away Morrigan in all my playthroughs and even would've happily stabbed that annoying bitch if I had bothered to purchase Witch Hunt DLC. R00fles!)

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well, considering what they are undergoing with ME3 now, and the info they released about the DA3 development process, some things might change. Going to be interesting, at any rate.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not a fan of the setting either but would consider a low-key game set in it, without the stuff like wardens, darkspawn and deep roads. DA2's more personal story premise is closer what I'd like to see moreso that DAO but the gameplay, not so.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm also interested in DA3.

So, Bhaalspawn Godchild protagonist?

I think they've already said no to that (It's not going to be Hawke or the Warden either).

Not a fan of the setting either but would consider a low-key game set in it, without the stuff like wardens, darkspawn and deep roads. DA2's more personal story premise is closer what I'd like to see moreso that DAO but the gameplay, not so.

DA2's lack of "epicness" was one of the major complaints, so it's probably going to be the whole of existance in danger again.

Edited by MrBrown

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought the characters in DA2 were painfully bad. 'Elric of we have already tried the Drow to death so lets try something else', A pirate thief with ginormous knockers, Lord shoots things with arrows.... sheessh.

Edited by Gorgon
  • Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.