Mass Effect MMO

greylord

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-28-bioware-discusses-potential-mass-effect-mmo

The next step, perhaps, is an MMO - or at least multiplayer experiences set in a persistent play space. This, Muzyka said, would be well within the Mass Effect universe's reach.

"The possibility space, that's a term that I heard Will Wright say about ten years ago, and it really struck me," Muzyka said.

"When you deliver a game, and you deliver it for a player, you have to capture what they think is the possibility space. You need to let them do everything they think they should do, and you can't block them from doing anything they think they should be able to do. You have to nail all the features and content that should be in that possibility space.

"Mass Effect is a big possibility space."

Well, I wasn't that impressed with MP...I might love ME...but I play it for the SP experience...don't think they'll get me with an ME MMO.

Then again, I loved KotOR and I didn't get TOR either. MMO's just aren't my thing. Free to play MP, such as in CoD type games...yeah, I'll play those...but that's far different than something you pay for and are bored out of your skull with when you do an MMO (well, which normally bore ME to death...I know many of you are really enjoying ToR from the thread posted in these forums).

Do not want.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It would work... but it'd probably be something like TOR, except the combat was more like Battlefield or standard ME (no melee and squad based)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It would work... but it'd probably be something like TOR, except the combat was more like Battlefield or standard ME (no melee and squad based)

They may stick you with AI companions making it impossible to do any mission without. TOR style.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Do not want.

Me either.

Then again, it doesn't matter to me. If there's a market for it, why not. That market just wouldn't include me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They cancelled UO2 because it would have cannibalised the then aging UO's subscriber base, so it'd be a surprise if they pitted a competing sci-fi MMO against their recently-launched flagship. And as popular as ME is I wouldn't think it'd be able to achieve critical mass in terms of audience faster than Star Wars.

....unless they've given up on TOR already of course.

(Personally I'd say if they want another MMO, resurrect Privateer Online :p)

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

If they can't do it with Star Wars can't really see them doing it with Mass Effect.

If they get a few subscribers that are in denial about Star Wars and a few others that are on the fence about a BW MMO, they are going to call it a day.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wonder what the divide between players will be.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If it's like TOR (ie. pay each month, PC-only), then I won't touch it. And to be honest, the only thing I like about these games is the single player experience. If the core of the game becomes about shooting things, then I'll stick with Modern Warfare for my multiplayer shooter kick.

If there are going to be more Mass Effect games (and based on their sales, there will be), I'd just prefer them to stick to single player games. If they want to add a multiplayer component to it like ME3, so be it. But the core of the experience needs to remain single player for me to be interested.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)