Something like lego...

Walsingham

I have a niece I'm tremendously proud of, and wanted to give her a computer game for Christmas. She enjoys creating and building things, so I was wondering if there were any games out there which let a bright kid do this.

I considered minecraft, obviously. But frankly I worry about here consorting with deviants.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Minecraft is the most obvious (and it's extremely simple to use, you only need a list about what can be crafted how and that's it).

Or you go with one of these real lego games. :p I never played any of these, but if I remember correct, there are some where you can build real stuff (though, this might be old stuff by now).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just had a lok at Terraria. Looks like something I might enjoy. But I was hoping something a bit more mechanical, and creative.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How old is your neice, Wals? Mine just turned eight summer of this year and she's completely into the Wii. She loves girlie stuff, much much more than her mother did. Of course, her mother is a complete and utter harpy, but the kid is golden. She's all into Animal Crossing and Wii sports. She loves angry birds on the ipad, also, but you didn't say you wanted a console or ipad game, so I can check to see what she likes for the computer.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thanks, Cant. But ever since I gave her a toy gun a few years ago she's massively into boy stuff. I'm thinking like lego technical - or whatever it's called - the stuff you can build catapults out of. Only on a compuer because lego is freaking insanely expensive.

-Elwood Blues

She might find Minecraft in creative mode fun, the player has infinite amount of every block in the game, so she can just build. As for technical side, well, there are redstone which can be used to make "electrical" circuits, but that stuff is complicated if you want to do anything bigger than open a door with a switch.

But in the survival mode player needs to collect all the material she wants to use, which tends to take some serious time. Also not so sure how she would feel about fighting with monsters and killing farm animals for food. Though there us peaceful difficulty that removes all the monsters and stops the foodmeter from running out.

She might find Minecraft in creative mode fun, the player has infinite amount of every block in the game, so she can just build. As for technical side, well, there are redstone which can be used to make "electrical" circuits, but that stuff is complicated if you want to do anything bigger than open a door with a switch.

But in the survival mode player needs to collect all the material she wants to use, which tends to take some serious time. Also not so sure how she would feel about fighting with monsters and killing farm animals for food. Though there us peaceful difficulty that removes all the monsters and stops the foodmeter from running out.

I probably will lump for minecraft. But all the same, it would be good to have something a bit more technical. I should explain she's fourteen, very fierce, but suffers from a bunch of ailments which mean she enjoys playing at home as a bit less manic an option than with schoolfriends.

-Elwood Blues

I probably will lump for minecraft. But all the same, it would be good to have something a bit more technical. I should explain she's fourteen, very fierce, but suffers from a bunch of ailments which mean she enjoys playing at home as a bit less manic an option than with schoolfriends.

Not on the same arena as minecraft or other games, but perhaps a civ builder type game. Tropico or Tropico 3 should be getting cheaper, Civ 4 ultimate edition should be rather cheaper.

If she likes Boy stuff and building, Trackmania is actually awesome in that regards. It allows you to build your own tracks and environments and then do crazy racing on them.

Older games all but should appeal to the builder in her.

A city building game would be good - if you're 14 you can handle more than just the 'building' side and I learnt a lot in general from Caesar 3 and the like.

A city building game would be good - if you're 14 you can handle more than just the 'building' side and I learnt a lot in general from Caesar 3 and the like.

Second that suggestion. Also, maybe introduce her to EVE ? >_<

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I enjoyed Civilization tremendously at an even younger age ( I realize that I wasn't a girl even back then, though). If there are consoles in the house, Civ Revolution is a good light-weight version of it.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

starcraft 2?

total war: empire?

Civ 4 or 5?

minecraft?

i dunno, i don't play many strategy games...

EDIT: NM - WORLD OF GOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously, world of goo

world of goo

perfect game

world of goo!

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Just thought I'd be a bit different and mention The Incredible Machine, loved that game even though it's not exactly advanced.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Azdeus beat me.

But yeah, I would actually suggest a city builder too. Probably not Tropico though :p .

Try the old Inversion games (Pharaoh, Caesar, Zeus, Emperor) or Anno.

Also, depending on preferences, Zoo Tycoon and Rollercoaster Tycoon can't do wrong :p.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

World of Goo she might like, as it's cartoony. The Incredible Machine could be a contender too.

-Elwood Blues

Foudn a couple of randoms:

'Cogs' - indie game, looks neat. Quite reminiscent of Bioshock's hacking

A less constructive, but still mech-ish game; Cog Factory

-Elwood Blues

Anno series is the best city builder series evah!

The recent Anno 2070 is really good. Try the demo.

There's a demo for something? I'm not her, but your statements on the series have perked my interest...I'll look it up and see if I like the style and game.